Internet Question

IJustWantToGo36

I scrolled 10 pages and did not see this topic

For internet that covers video and VOIP   can I buy per day or do I need to get a full package?

If I can buy per day, is it until minute, 24 hours or other time frame?

Southern Caribbean route- does it work at all for voice?

I see a $20/day packahe rate.  Is this correct and what is daily rate?

THANKS

I believe you can buy one day at a time, but don't know if that is midnight-to-midnight.  There are frequent mentions of the internet slowing to a crawl the last day when people are using it for airline checkin! For one day, the Premium (necessary for video and VOIP) is $30/day, but in a package 2 to 8 days it is the $20 you have seen.

My husband was able to make a VOIP (not Skype or Zoom) conference call from north of France (with some pausing and buffering). It *should* be better in the Caribbean because closer to the equator.

Here is a part of the FAQ on HAL website, note particularly the LAST bullet item/paragraph:

"Available Internet Packages:

"Social: Per day package, $14.99. (Access the most popular social websites and applications. May not allow for audio/video calling and streaming.)

"Surf (most popular): $24.99. (Surf your favorite sites including e-mail, news, sports and more. May not allow for audio/video calling and streaming.)

"Premium: $29.99 (From e-mail to streaming, receive the highest volume of data. Supports audio/video calling and streaming where coverage allows.)

"Keep in Mind:

"Satellite transmissions are inherently slower than shore-side connections.

"You’ll find a select number of free sites under “Complimentary Browsing.”

"For more information please see the Frequently Asked Questions or one of our Guest Relations team members.

"Each package comes with a daily volume of data for a superior experience. Volumes vary by package and subject to change. For a current listing of the daily volume soft caps, see the Internet Plan Selection page."

image.png.f11a532007f148ea1303236affc8b85c.png

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

The internet was not good on the koningsdam.  I couldn’t ever access my bank account, American Express, air Canada etc.  I upgraded to premium on the last couple days.  It did nothing.  The internet was often down in ports.  My cabana steward told me that was common on the ship.  I didn’t have a ton of problems with my email but I did have to babysit it to make sure it was sent.

11 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I upgraded to premium on the last couple days.  It did nothing.  

Many people will assume that a premium internet package will give you better/faster internet but that is not the case. The only differences between Social, Surf and Premium are the services/apps you can use and the volume of data but there is no difference in the quality/speed of the internet. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, firsttimer1971 said:

Many people will assume that a premium internet package will give you better/faster internet but that is not the case. The only differences between Social, Surf and Premium are the services/apps you can use and the volume of data but there is no difference in the quality/speed of the internet. 

No I’m not one of those people.  I was just hoping to update my podcasts, get into my bank account or check in for my flight.  I couldn’t do any of that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you were, but I have read lots of comments from people who do think that is the case and it is a shame to be paying for the upgrade and still have lousy internet.

If you can't even check your bank account or check in for a flight, they really shouldn't charge you for the internet at all.

• Like 1

On a recent Hawaii cruise on the Koningsdam, Internet service was abysmal.  Web pages would seldom load, and the service was completely out one entire day.

VOIP ("Wi-Fi Calling"), on the other hand, worked perfectly when there was any Internet service at all. We had the Premium plan.

Edited by IPB4IGO

1 hour ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

OP here- just purchased 
Premium Internet Plan - 10 Days :
   $143.99

Oh right! I forgot to mention if you buy the Premium Plan before sailing (it is the only plan available for pre-purchase) it is 20% off, making it close to the Surf in cost.

It's hard to keep all the details in mind!