Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

21 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Jim, I will be following and hoping for pictures!  Solstice was our first S Class ship and we absolutely loved everything about the class.  We’re currently on the Banging Beyond.  I had read reports about banging and other noises in some cabins and it’s no joke.  A million thanks to you for recommending the Bose sleepbuds that are the only thing enabling me to sleep.

I've heard about the noises (ghosts) on board.   Surprising since I've not heard the same (so far) of the other E-Class.  We were on Edge after she began service and was hit with a huge wind storm -  enough to cause 40-50 ceiling panels being ripped off.   I don't remember hearing any unusual creaking.

I'm laughing about the Bose Sleepbuds.    I just tossed mine in my suite case 10 minutes ago.  The product that saves so many marriages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Will be interesting to hear what you think of Ponant.  I wasn't aware they did Great Lakes cruises.  I've been looking at other vendors of Great Lakes cruises.  And if you find something great to South Africa, would love to hear about that too.  My niece lives in Cape Town and absolutely loves it there.  The retreat concierge on my October Summit cruise was from Cape Town and said I absolutely must visit.  It would be nice not to have to do that long flight both ways.

Will definitely keep you updated.  Our friends that did Antarctica on Ponant loved it.   They are small ships and use Zodiacs for going ashore.   Unlike many larger lines they actually were able to set foot on Antarctica.

21 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Just for fun, a weather point of reference here in Minn-a-snowta. The southern third of the state received 8+ inches of snow yesterday (we are an hour north and only got 2"). And as it always goes, the temperature dropped today and is 16º with winds out of the NW at 18-20 mph, so it feels close to 0º.

Incredible.   California is so variable we have a cold storm coming in today and the Sierra's which are 4 hours away are expected to get 5 Feet of snow today.  Just think Donner Party.

The Bay area is suppose to get 1/2" of rain but Sunnyvale was named that for a reason as the rains break around us due to the shadow affect of a peak on the Costal Range.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Wish somebody would come up with a RT out of London or Barcelona to South Africa.  Now that would be doable flightwise, especially for you from MSP.  A bit more complicated from here because I have to go through Atlanta.  Enjoy your snow.  I am so glad to be out of the MN snow and taxes!

Our shortest flight is 21 hours SFO to EWR and non-stop to Johannesburg but connections can go up to 35.   As you said $$$$$$$$

20 hours ago, lakegirl16 said:

@Jim_IainThanks for posting, look forward to following along.  We'll be joining you the week of 12/11 and staying on for the week of the 19th. 

Would love weather updates, I'm a bit uncertain what to pack as I know it will be chilly the first day or so but warmer on the subsequent days.

Thanks again!!!

Will update you on that shortly.    From other blogs they say it can be chilly on the first day and 1/2 while at sea and then 70-80's     We are having some cold front coming through and even LA is hitting lows of 50 at night. 

While on my walks I usually only wear a sweatshirt or sweater and usually have to pull it off as the day warms.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

Just catching up now. For the last few years we have only cruised on X. Starting to feel like Groundhog Day. Oceania is sailing out of San Pedro in May so we will return to Oceania for my birthday cruise. So happy that we can finally drive to the port. 
we have been disappointed in the food in Blu so we are looking forward to our favorites on Oceania. 

Next X cruise isn’t until the Edge sails to Alaska in 2024. 

Oceania is definitely on the top of our list to consider also .  Hear good things about them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Redking said:

Wow that's efficient!

It works.    Iain will tell you I didn't mention my electronics, chargers, cables etc etc which fill my backpack.    I have to have my Roku, mini router and all possible connectors and cables, remotes etc

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GREG781 said:

Lol. Just so you know, the Beyond is beautiful in every way. Mid 80's in St. Martin today! Ship has 2550 we were told. In one of the S3 Suites - really nice. Huge balcony and it is cool seeing the Magic Carpet glide by 2x a day 🙂

I absolutely love St Martin.     Hope your weather stays perfect.   Does the ship feel crowded?

19 hours ago, LaCal said:

If you have a Wholefoods store in your area most of them now accept Amazon returns 

And they don’t even need to be packed up 

Saved us a lot of time and hassles 

I usually use Whole Foods -  within walking distance.   Not sure if it was this return was defective or due to the size of the box but they didn't offer Whole Foods but did offer fee UPS pickup or drop off.   I did haul it down on my backpack -  good exercise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bluwes said:

Is that Erin from Idaho ? If so she’s back home having broken her arm recently. We met her on the Reflection sailing out of Rome this last  summer

This Erin is from Orlando.     Amazing they have so many Erin's. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It works.    Iain will tell you I didn't mention my electronics, chargers, cables etc etc which fill my backpack.    I have to have my Roku, mini router and all possible connectors and cables, remotes etc

How do you use your Roku?  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I usually use Whole Foods -  within walking distance.   Not sure if it was this return was defective or due to the size of the box but they didn't offer Whole Foods but did offer fee UPS pickup or drop off.   I did haul it down on my backpack -  good exercise.

I typically use Kohl's as a drop off for Amazon returns.  Recently, that was not an option and I went to Whole Foods.  Next time I was in Kohl's, I asked why they weren't always listed as an option and was told that the seller can dictate who they want to handle the return.  Just an FYI!

• Like 1

I started packing yesterday but then got interrupted by the Sail Internet installers.  Took longer than expected.    I was only getting 500 mbs instead of a gig. Took awhile to troubleshoot. 

Just an eye appointment at 11:00 to get stitches removed and then I’ll finish off.  Iain hasn’t even begun yet. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, _Rick_ said:

Jim - I look forward to following along.  We are doing a similar cruise in April except a stop in San Diego instead of one of the Mexico ports - I don't remember which one.  We have not done a west coast cruise before so I don't know much about the ports.  We booked this cruise, in a CS, mainly to get the double points offer to push us closer to Elite+.  It will be nice to get your insights on the ports of call to help us figure out what to do.   Hope you guys have a great cruise and I guess we will meet you on the Hawaii cruise in 2024.  Bon Voyage!

You should have a great time.   One warning.  If going to Catalina Island book tours early as they sell out quickly.   Probably most popular is the visit to the Buffalo Range.     They also privately have golf cart rentals that also sellout quickly.

13 hours ago, lilghallinsf said:

It is nice. 

We actually took three Princess ships this past year for that reason. The first two were out of SF. Great to just take a taxi from our house to the ship. Went for five days, then a ten day. Next a princess to Hawaii for 15 days. 

Looking forward to getting back onto Celebrity and our perks. LOL

That is one real advantage of Princess.    Over the years we have sailed out of San Francisco 3x for the beginning of the Alaska season.     Last year we did a coastal B2B and each had an overnight in SF.   We were able to see friends that hadn't seen due to Covid.    Also took the Ferry to Sausalito and Angel Island.    Fun to be a tourist in you own back yard.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Ditto here - we're on the 12/3 Apex cruise as well. Yikes - we leave tomorrow and I haven't started packing yet.😵

Hope you & Iain have a fantastic time and I'll catch you as I can. Kay

Obviously your not alone

Mickey Mickey Mouse GIF - Mickey Mickey Mouse Cartoon GIFs

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, BOB999 said:

FYI there is also a third option in that there is a taxi rank on the arrivals level of T7 (next to Alaska in T6).

Looking forward to reading another great trip report!

https://www.flylax.com/lax-traffic-and-ground-transportation#four

Hmmm.. didn't know of that one.   But then again since Uber I've never taken a cab.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Mex Riviera is my usual cruise out of LA.  First day out of LA and last day before LA are usually chilly; not pool weather for those of us from warm climes!  The rest of the cruise, even in Dec and Jan, is usually perfect for daytime shorts and tshirts.

I can't wait.    You just reminded me to pack shorts.   Ugh.....

3 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Looking forward to your posts about Solstice.

It will be our first time on her in April.

Thoroughly enjoy your positivity regarding Celebrity.

Also, to you or any readers. South Africa is the most fantastic and beautiful country but it’s sadly changing so go sooner rather than later. The long flights are well worth it.

Bon Voyage!

I guess I have to be Positive.... I've never sailed any line except Celebrity.   May be time after 20 years to branch out.

2 hours ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Jumping on the Jim & Iain adventure train. Love your live posts. 

I have been on the Solstice once to Alaska many years ago and will be on it again in Jan 2024 from Singapore. I'm interested to see any and/or all changes to her. Fair Winds and Following Seas to you!

Will be fun to explore a "New" ship -(to us).    

31 minutes ago, lakegirl16 said:

How do you use your Roku?  Thanks!

I'll post a You Tube on it.   Basically you plug it in -  they have a pup up to go to a webpage to facilitate log onto Celebrity.

To select Source -    I have a blog post below with pictures

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/4883390713075263858/8751576541081482974

• Thanks 1