Questions for World Cruisers ... Past, Present, and Future

molymoo

I have a couple of (perhaps silly, but whatever …) questions for those of you fortunate enough to be able to “cruise the world” with Viking, either in the near future or in the relatively recent past.  We will be joining the first leg of the 2022-23 world cruise that leaves from Fort Lauderdale on the 22nd of this month.  This is a cruise with a lot of “firsts” for us … first winter warm weather itinerary, first with more than one or two sea days (there will be ten!), and the first that will be with “world cruisers”. 

We will enjoy the warmth as we are having some unusually early very cold weather in Chicago and we generally love sea days so we will soon get to see how much we really do love them, but the WC component is a mystery.  Will we even be aware of who is and is not a world cruiser?  Do you wear special tee shirts or jackets?  Do you have a secret handshake?  Will there be sea day activities reserved only for those on a world cruise?  I wonder, too if there aren’t some legs of your journey that will have only world cruisers on them … I can’t find Viking itineraries that match every leg of the journey, but who knows.  Do you have any idea how many world cruisers are on the ship … is there a “common” percentage they shoot for when selling WC’s? 

Just curiosity … and maybe a little bit of jealousy.   We are still bound to the “school year” calendar so extended cruises can’t extend beyond the length of the summer recess … but maybe someday (she ponders wistfully).  At any rate, we look forward to joining you soon!

You're on the Fort Lauderdale to LA portion of the trip.  About 75% of the people on your cruise will be world cruisers.  When you disembark in LA the remaining world cruisers embark.  After LA the ship will be 100% world cruisers.  There are no other segments on this cruise where new people board.  Some previous world cruises had segments, but post-pandemic there's been such a high demand for world cruises that Viking can sell out the entire ship from LA to London.

• Like 2

I have done both the 2019 WC, which had segments, and last Dec. the first segment of the 21-22 WC, FLL to LA.  You don’t know who is who unless you ask.  On the WC the only thing we really noticed was that we kept losing members of our trivia team!

Hi.  

There is a very active friendly roll call for this world cruise (308 pages long so far!) 

and a small one for the first leg 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2887245-viking-neptune-12222022-01082023-panama-canal-coastal-holiday-fort-lauderdale-to-los-angeles/?do=getNewComment 

I think many on the first leg join in with the full roll call info.   I believe there are only two ‘legs’ of the WC - The FL to LA and then LA to London

Edited by Goosebear Mum