non-alcohol wines?

rodndonna

14 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

I have not seen any on board. I checked the online menus and the only non-alcoholic item listed is a beer. Sparkling water is going to be the closest thing I suppose. 

Thanks. I guess giving it more thought, it might be more difficult to keep something like that in stock unless there was a higher demand. Unlike beers and mocktails, if they open a bottle of wine and only serve one or 2 glasses, it would then so to waste.

I am going to inquire  about it in our upcoming cruise, and mention it in our post survey.

I guess it will have a be spritzers. Not a fan of the carbonation and would really rather just a glass of wine (with little or no alcohol) at times, but maybe the general demand is just not not there yet.

Between getting older and having my tolerance to alcohol diminishing and what seems like wines getting stronger - I just can't win 😑 

• Like 1

Some wines have lower alcohol levels than others. Prosecco and white zin generally have lower levels than most reds, but it all depends on the vintner. You can have the dining steward or bartender check the level for you, or look up the menus, find the wines you like, and do an internet search for the alcohol content. 
https://rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus/

I agree - as I age I find that dry whites are more palatable on my tongue than reds. I used to dislike whites - lol. 

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

I never heard of nonalcoholic wine.  Interesting 

I have seen sparkling juice in wine bottles around the holidays. That could be what they mean. Opening one and only serving one glass of it wouldn’t be as much of a problem since it doesn’t spoil as quickly like a red wine would, although the ship uses the coravin system to keep the expensive wines from going bad. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Thanks. I guess giving it more thought, it might be more difficult to keep something like that in stock unless there was a higher demand. Unlike beers and mocktails, if they open a bottle of wine and only serve one or 2 glasses, it would then so to waste.

I am going to inquire  about it in our upcoming cruise, and mention it in our post survey.

I guess it will have a be spritzers. Not a fan of the carbonation and would really rather just a glass of wine (with little or no alcohol) at times, but maybe the general demand is just not not there yet.

Between getting older and having my tolerance to alcohol diminishing and what seems like wines getting stronger - I just can't win 😑 

The non alcohol wines still have some alcohol unless they can capture all of the alcohol molecules in reverse osmosis process. They have the yeast and more sugar and most will have carbonation although I saw an oaked Cab "non alcohol" which would be interesting to taste and see in glass. And you are correct, they probably don't think demand is there but I know many who don't drink and don't like bubbles so maybe they should test (like having tasting to bring to passenger's attention). It would be an additional profit center for  HAL for those that don't drink alcohol. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, REOVA said:

The non alcohol wines still have some alcohol unless they can capture all of the alcohol molecules in reverse osmosis process. They have the yeast and more sugar and most will have carbonation although I saw an oaked Cab "non alcohol" which would be interesting to taste and see in glass. And you are correct, they probably don't think demand is there but I know many who don't drink and don't like bubbles so maybe they should test (like having tasting to bring to passenger's attention). It would be an additional profit center for  HAL for those that don't drink alcohol. 

It might be a good trial.  Speaking to a booking agent one day the most common reason for not buying their HIA package is “I don’t drink alcoholic beverages”.  I don’t and it is hard to justify the cost for a few coffees and a few Perriers .  Of course I think better would be a menu of options when buying HIA.

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It might be a good trial.  Speaking to a booking agent one day the most common reason for not buying their HIA package is “I don’t drink alcoholic beverages”.  I don’t and it is hard to justify the cost for a few coffees and a few Perriers .  Of course I think better would be a menu of options when buying HIA.

Dry January is coming up - there's a good time for a trial! 

More non or low alcohol options I think are good. The demand could be there I think if it were there and folks knew about it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lizinindy said:

I've found some non-alcohol wines that are acceptable. If I bring a couple bottles, I wonder if I still have to pay the $20 corkage fee? My hubby likes Clausthaler NA beer--can he bring some onboard?

I was wondering about that as well, but I highly expect the answer if "no" to the beer and "yes" to the corkage fees.

In some regards I say they shouldn't be as they are not taking away from HAL's offerings on board ($) , but I think it is just too blurry a line to deal with.

All the non-alcoholic wines I've tried have been quite sweet for my taste. If you like sweet wines, you may find them palatable. Where we live, Total Wines has a selection, Ariel and Fre' plus a few others. They also carry non-alcoholic gins, tequilas, Seedlip (English non-alcoholic flavors) plus others.

There is a growing market for these products and I would expect to see more in the future.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

All the non-alcoholic wines I've tried have been quite sweet for my taste. If you like sweet wines, you may find them palatable. Where we live, Total Wines has a selection, Ariel and Fre' plus a few others. They also carry non-alcoholic gins, tequilas, Seedlip (English non-alcoholic flavors) plus others.

There is a growing market for these products and I would expect to see more in the future.

I am not a fan of sweet wines generally, but on a cruise with mutliple sea days, I would be more than willing to lower my standard 🙃

• Haha 4

On 12/2/2022 at 10:49 AM, tjcox9 said:

oooh--stay away from Fre!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 1:07 PM, lizinindy said:

oooh--stay away from Fre!

Are they that bad? (I'm not picky).

Our next cruise is with Celebrity, and I just read that they carry an assortment of the Fre non-alcohol  wines (red, white, rose, bubbly). Will be giving them a try anyway - at least the Rose should be drinkable I would think. 

On 12/2/2022 at 8:25 AM, lizinindy said:

I've found some non-alcohol wines that are acceptable. If I bring a couple bottles, I wonder if I still have to pay the $20 corkage fee? My hubby likes Clausthaler NA beer--can he bring some onboard?

Why wouldn't non alcoholic wine incurring corkage?

Non alcoholic drinks accepted as carry on is H2O as far as I understand,  cans or cartons