Travel Agents: yes or no?

BobCatter

well, I must've either screwed this up or my travel agent isnt as great as the ones you guys seem to have,

I transferred a Grand Pacific Viking cruise reservation that I'd made directly with Viking to a travel agent who was recommended by a family member, (Grand Pacific is 90 + days and I'm paying the crippling single supplement as well)

Any time I ask her about OBC or a small financial bone that could be tossed to me, she says "It's sold out and Viking isn't offering any OBC on this"

Admittedly, I don't sail until September of 2023 so things could change, but I was feeling grouchy about this before and now, after reading these posts, I think I really screwed up by transferring my booking to her.

This is my first big trip since i lost my husband (he's not misplaced, dead is what he sadly is) 

Any one have any useful advice for me? I'd really appreciate the help!

On 12/11/2022 at 3:30 PM, ekkc10753 said:

well, I must've either screwed this up or my travel agent isnt as great as the ones you guys seem to have,

I transferred a Grand Pacific Viking cruise reservation that I'd made directly with Viking to a travel agent who was recommended by a family member, (Grand Pacific is 90 + days and I'm paying the crippling single supplement as well)

Any time I ask her about OBC or a small financial bone that could be tossed to me, she says "It's sold out and Viking isn't offering any OBC on this"

Admittedly, I don't sail until September of 2023 so things could change, but I was feeling grouchy about this before and now, after reading these posts, I think I really screwed up by transferring my booking to her.

This is my first big trip since i lost my husband (he's not misplaced, dead is what he sadly is) 

The OBC isn’t from Viking, it from the TA.  I get a nice credit to use for gratuities, beverage package or etc. it depends on how many nights your cruise is.  I’d check online to see if my category is still available. If it is I would call another TA find out what they are offering, then call ur TA and state what u found out.good luck 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 3:30 PM, ekkc10753 said:

Many TA's will provide some form of reward for booking a cruise with them, which comes out of the commission paid by the cruise line to the TA. While most cruise lines don't have a policy restricting the extent of the gift, Viking does.

For your 90+ day grand voyage, based on the Viking policy, your TA is limited to providing a maximum of $500 pp OBC, or other benefits. While Viking limit the maximum, it is entirely at the discretion of the TA, whether they provide any OBC. Individual TA's will provide this from the commission paid to them from Viking, whereas, our TA works for a national agency, who provide OBC from their promotional budget. For longer cruises, our TA provides the maximum permitted by Viking, but for a short 1 week cruise, I wouldn't request OBC.

To move forward, I suggest explaining to your TA, that you are not looking for OBC from Viking, you are requesting OBC from your TA, in accordance with the limits imposed by the Viking policy. I would be very surprised that an experienced TA is not aware of the Viking policy.

For your reference, if your TA indicates no knowledge, here is a link to the policy

https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/terms-conditions/advertising-and-commissions-policy.html#:~:text=Travel Agents may not advertise,similar booking with Travel Agent.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Many TA's will provide some form of reward for booking a cruise with them, which comes out of the commission paid by the cruise line to the TA. While most cruise lines don't have a policy restricting the extent of the gift, Viking does.

For your 90+ day grand voyage, based on the Viking policy, your TA is limited to providing a maximum of $500 pp OBC, or other benefits. While Viking limit the maximum, it is entirely at the discretion of the TA, whether they provide any OBC. Individual TA's will provide this from the commission paid to them from Viking, whereas, our TA works for a national agency, who provide OBC from their promotional budget. For longer cruises, our TA provides the maximum permitted by Viking, but for a short 1 week cruise, I wouldn't request OBC.

To move forward, I suggest explaining to your TA, that you are not looking for OBC from Viking, you are requesting OBC from your TA, in accordance with the limits imposed by the Viking policy. I would be very surprised that an experienced TA is not aware of the Viking policy.

For your reference, if your TA indicates no knowledge, here is a link to the policy

https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/terms-conditions/advertising-and-commissions-policy.html#:~:text=Travel Agents may not advertise,similar booking with Travel Agent.

Andy

Given your knowledge and perhaps some inside info, do you know if there has ever been any discussion about providing some of the typical World Cruise perks on Grand Voyages?  I for one would likely look at booking a couple of these in lieu of the WC but when I do the math adding in the daily service charges, I can’t bring myself to pay more for fewer days. 

11 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Andy

Given your knowledge and perhaps some inside info, do you know if there has ever been any discussion about providing some of the typical World Cruise perks on Grand Voyages?  I for one would likely look at booking a couple of these in lieu of the WC but when I do the math adding in the daily service charges, I can’t bring myself to pay more for fewer days. 

Haven't heard anything, but I have always thought they should provide the WC benefits, especially if booking the Auckland to Vancouver.

I have been watching the Longitudinal World Cruises and about 4 - 6 weeks ago they added the WC Benefits to these. I believe the offer expires today, so will be interesting to see if they are continued and also if they are provided when they post the 2024 sailings.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Andy

Clay, there was a request made by one of the pax booked on the 2023 Vancouver to Auckland trip for just that. Apparently, Viking was sympathetic, but was not prepared to offer similar perks.

I had posted this in more detail last night, but it appears my post was removed ... unclear why, unless it was my reference to a different site. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 4:01 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

Yes, of course you can make a reservation online or with a call center person, but the real value of.a TA comes through when COVID hits and you need to cancel multiple bookings. Not once did I speak with Viking post COVID, but everything got straightened out by my TA. 
Of perhaps you’re flying into or out of Venice and they change the docking point to 1 1/2 hours away.

Etc, etc, etc.

And also when the line is short-staffed and you can’t get through after holding for hours! My TA always gets through, gets me on waitlists for excursions I can’t book, has cruised A LOT herself, gives me on board credit, etc. She has been invaluable to me. Sometimes they hold blocks of cabins in prime locations. cfurr18273@aol.com

Just now, Furball83 said:

And also when the line is short-staffed and you can’t get through after holding for hours! My TA always gets through, gets me on waitlists for excursions I can’t book, has cruised A LOT herself, gives me on board credit, etc. She has been invaluable to me. Sometimes they hold blocks of cabins in prime locations. cfurr18273@aol.com

Should be “8283” - no 7