VeriFLY and boarding in Australia

Mike B Landlubber

I just boarded Noordam in Perth(Fremantle) and had a hitch that may be of interest to those boarding on Australia. I don’t think this will be an issue elsewhere. I understood from HA information on my cruise that I could meet Covid requirements by self-administering an antigen Covid test 24 hours before boarding. I did that, but when I went to enter my information in VeriFLY, I was asked for the name of the doctor ordering the test, and asked to verify that the test    Certificate had my birthdate on it. I had none of this, and though I’d had no problems elsewhere in VeriFLY, I couldn’t complete the process there. I took a photo of my test results with my name and the date and time handwritten next to it and hoped for the best. At check in, my vaccination certificate was reviewed and they asked if I had test results. I Volunteered that I had taken a self test and had a photograph of the results. They perked up at the photograph mention and asked to see it. They did take a good look at my test on the photo (which I showed via my phone). If I hadn’t taken the photo I’d have had trouble I suspect, but this was no problem. If you’re boarding in Australia soon, you might take notice! Otherwise boarding in Perth was quick and stress-free! I’m excited to be cruising again!

Thanks for posting your experience.  Am boarding Noordam in Sydney soon and just got an email from HAL stating that we need "medically observed COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen)" which contradicts their generic advice for Australia.

Am pleased to hear that a self-administered RAT is OK, and we don't need to go through the hassle and expense to have a GP supervise the test.

39 minutes ago, SedNabokos said:

Thanks for posting your experience.  Am boarding Noordam in Sydney soon and just got an email from HAL stating that we need "medically observed COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen)" which contradicts their generic advice for Australia.

Am pleased to hear that a self-administered RAT is OK, and we don't need to go through the hassle and expense to have a GP supervise the test.

Just because OP got through doesn't mean HAL will pass you through. Protocol and staff seem to change with the weather. We did the online proctor test which was easy and they send you an email with the confirmation of supervision and test results. Hope you have a smooth embarkation as OP did and a great cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REOVA said:

Just because OP got through doesn't mean HAL will pass you through. Protocol and staff seem to change with the weather. We did the online proctor test which was easy and they send you an email with the confirmation of supervision and test results. Hope you have a smooth embarkation as OP did and a great cruise. 

Sadly, I have to agree with Reova, I did NOT have any notice from HAL about a more stringent test being needed. It sounds like they may have different requirements for Sydney.  I speculate that they may be in transition on the requirements now, but have no knowledge except my experience. 

one thing I had in mind when I presented myself for boarding was that my vaccination card showed several boosters, and I was wearing a good-quality N95 mask properly. I thought that might swing a decision my way if they had to make a judgement call. Kind of late for vaccinations, but a suggestion to consider. If I had received info from HAL that a higher level of test was required, I would sure try to have that test result in hand though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

It sounds like they may have different requirements for Sydney.

I'll wait for a follow-up email.

Someone just posted that they're boarding the Westerdam in Sydney in 3 days and just received an email to say a self-test is fine.

4 hours ago, SedNabokos said:

If you received an email saying that they now require a medically observed test, then I would respectfully suggest that you follow the requirement or expect to be denied boarding.  To me it seems like they have strengthened the requirements and that is why you received an email with updated requirements.

• Like 1

We have had a surge of Covid infections in Australia over the past few weeks. No new restrictions have been imposed by the government on the general or cruise population but HAL MAY be tightening up.

18 hours ago, SedNabokos said:

We are also boarding Noordam in Sydney and checked the health protocols specific to our cruise on the HAL website:

7FDD4C2B-C4F0-44D0-9A0D-56B5DEB0C3AD.thumb.jpeg.56aa3d4aa285582a4723e7df7c24c84c.jpeg

1 hour ago, DinkyDee67 said:

We are also boarding Noordam in Sydney and checked the health protocols specific to our cruise on the HAL website

I saw that, which is what I meant by it "contradicts their generic advice for Australia."

And the New South Wales protocols for the cruise industry state that a self-test is fine, unless the passenger is symptomatic.

Which is why I suspect this automated email (which had a whole bunch of other "tips and tricks") hasn't been updated with the latest information and a more up-to-date email will follow closer to the sail date, as happened with Westerdam. 

If not, I'll go for a PCR test the day before flying to Sydney.

Edit: @DinkyDee67 you might want to delete that image and repost it without your booking number. If someone can figure out your name they can use it to mess with your booking.

Or link to the generic advice for Australia

Edited by SedNabokos
warning

6 hours ago, SedNabokos said:

I saw that, which is what I meant by it "contradicts their generic advice for Australia."

And the New South Wales protocols for the cruise industry state that a self-test is fine, unless the passenger is symptomatic.

Which is why I suspect this automated email (which had a whole bunch of other "tips and tricks") hasn't been updated with the latest information and a more up-to-date email will follow closer to the sail date, as happened with Westerdam. 

If not, I'll go for a PCR test the day before flying to Sydney.

Edit: @DinkyDee67 you might want to delete that image and repost it without your booking number. If someone can figure out your name they can use it to mess with your booking.

Or link to the generic advice for Australia

Thanks for the heads up but I can’t work out how to delete the image 🥹

Re pre-cruise testing and Verifly.

I'm on  the current Westerdam sailing,  which embarked in Sydney on 23 November. Here is my experience.

Did a self administered RAT (rapid antigen test) at home. Took photo of negative test together with my driver's license laid atop my tablet (which showed date and time on a plainish background) and uploaded that to Verifly. 

Verifly will ask for a "provider", "name of doctor ordering test" or something similar, which you won't have.

I typed in  "self administered test" and it was accepted. 

If you do not have a digital device to show date and time, suggestion has been to write date on paper and place next to a watch or clock together with test and government issued ID.

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 3:19 PM, SedNabokos said:

I'll wait for a follow-up email.

Follow-up email just came through.  I'm glad I waited.

Guests ages 2 and above are required to take a viral COVID-19 test prior to
embarkation and attest to a negative result. A PCR test may be taken within 48
hours before embarkation or a self-administered Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) may be
taken within 24 hours. Guests who opt for the RAT must take a photo with their
mobile device showing the results along with their full name, date and time of
the test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1