changing money on board

Lonedaddy

You are allowed to put $400 per segment (per person) on your room bill; easy way to earn miles.  Last cruise ship did not have any Euros; just USD.  One cruise in 2011 ship had Aussie dollars onboard but otherwise really haven't seen any currencies except dollars and Euros.  

11 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

You are allowed to put $400 per segment (per person) on your room bill; easy way to earn miles.  Last cruise ship did not have any Euros; just USD.  One cruise in 2011 ship had Aussie dollars onboard but otherwise really haven't seen any currencies except dollars and Euros.  

Perfect thanks - I hope they have AUD on the Auckland to Bali cruise.  Though most have said on the A/NZ board not to tip the tour guides as it isn't the custom there and they were adamant about it!

• Like 1

Best place to get currency is at ATMs; no fees and best exchange rates.  On our Sydney to Beijing cruise the ship was buying back AUD at worse rate than I got at ATM; I could have made a lot more money if I thought to get additional AUD.

10 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Best place to get currency is at ATMs; no fees and best exchange rates.  On our Sydney to Beijing cruise the ship was buying back AUD at worse rate than I got at ATM; I could have made a lot more money if I thought to get additional AUD.

What ATM card do you use?  My bank charges a foreign transaction fee(and an out-of-network fee). 

49 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

What ATM card do you use?  My bank charges a foreign transaction fee(and an out-of-network fee). 

Fidelity.  Been using it overseas for over 15 years and no fee and great exchange rate.

Schwab.  No bank fees, no foreign charges.  All ATMs world-wide get 0  none no fees imposed on either side of the cash w/drawl transaction .  The exchange rate is great - I compared my ATM with drawls with AmEx and VISA exchange rates for transactions on the same day.  Slight advantage Schwab.

Don't exchange on board - terrible rate for the convenience.