Searching best cruise insurance

Scrufsmom

We are planning a cruise in a year on NCL and have always purchased cruise insurance for past cruises.  I’m searching for trip cancellation/trip interruption/emergencies for both hubs n I.  NCL is using Nationwide n personally I see no difference between their standard vs premium plan.  Is there another company I can use NOT thru NCL that might offer a better pricing?  TIA

For a third-party policy, cost is based on amount insured, length of trip, age of policyholders, and levels of coverage. Do not shop for insurance based on the price of the policy. Similar coverage will cost the same wherever you buy it because states regulate insurance.

The advantage of NCL or any other cruise line insurance is that age does not impact the cost, and it includes a Cancel for Any Reason provision if that is important to you.

Having said that, there is a lengthy thread on NCL now about someone who had NCL insurance but suffered significant loss after a flight cancellation. It is a good lesson that insurance is quite complex. It is imperative to understand what your policy covers and what to do when problems arise.

For that reason, I recommend that you call Trip Insurance Store for guidance. They sell policies from reputable companies and can help you find the policy that is right for you because there is no best cruise insurance for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 5:13 PM, Scrufsmom said:

We are planning a cruise in a year on NCL and have always purchased cruise insurance for past cruises.  I’m searching for trip cancellation/trip interruption/emergencies for both hubs n I.  NCL is using Nationwide n personally I see no difference between their standard vs premium plan.  Is there another company I can use NOT thru NCL that might offer a better pricing?  TIA

Hi Scrufsmom,

I am very thankful for the favor and kind words I have received on Cruise Critic. The editors have let me do seven multi-month long Q & As in the last 5 years.

Here's the Q & A I'm doing now:

Here's the Cruise Critic Q & A earlier this year:

Here's the archived link to the Q & A I did in Dec 2020 and Jan 2021 that was re-opened in June 2021:

I also did a Q & A on Cruise Critic for June 2020:

Steve Dasseos

On 12/8/2022 at 9:26 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Scrufsmom,

I am very thankful for the favor and kind words I have received on Cruise Critic. The editors have let me do seven multi-month long Q & As in the last 5 years.

Here's the Q & A I'm doing now:

Here's the Cruise Critic Q & A earlier this year:

Here's the archived link to the Q & A I did in Dec 2020 and Jan 2021 that was re-opened in June 2021:

I also did a Q & A on Cruise Critic for June 2020:

Steve Dasseos

For our past two trips, we used AMEX- the silver plan and they came through for us. Both my husband and I contracted COVID (we probably got it in transit and not on the ship based on when we showed symptoms. The cruise line gave us 2 FCC for 90% of the fares, and AMEX paid in full for the airline change fees and cancelled excursions as we flew home 2 days earlier than planned.  For our next trip, we are using this company https://www.travelinsurance.com/. We liked it as you can totally customize all the various parts of the policy and purchase only what you want. We added: cancel for any reason and the cost was most reasonable.

I have done a lot of posting on the trip insurance blog and have long argued against cruise line offered policies because nearly all have insufficient medical coverage.  Folks should consider that the most they lose with cancellation is the cost of the cruise (which they were going to spend anyway) but one's liability, for medical problems, is practically unlimited!  

We agree with the suggestion to contact the Trip Insurance Store or a similar travel insurance broker.  Folks that feel comfortable evaluating the options on their own might want to look at the options available on a few web sites such as insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com.

Hank