Real ID Delayed - Again

donaldsc

5 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I agree that most folks don't travel and/or fly.  However if the government and the airlines make it clear that nobody is going to get on an airplane anywhere in the US regardless of the need or the severe emergency it might induce some holdouts to get the Read ID.  And I mean that regardless of the emergency - death in the family, a sick child, your dog is dying, anything - you do not get on any means of interstate commerce.  

That is not really the American way. It is more like the Chinese (government) way. 

18 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Why is this any different from any previous version of a drivers license?  Are people coerced into getting those?  They don't "need" to get them unless they want to drive.

Similarly, they wouldn't need a "Real ID" if they don't want to fly, etc. (or anything else that particular ID is required for).

How would Real ID make us safer than the non Real ID drivers license? I am willing to be convinced. I have no objection personaly  to having a Real ID DL .If my state gave me a choice I would have chosen the Real ID DL. Heck,  I have Global Entry which required an interview, all kinds of info, and fingerprints. I tend to think Real ID is theater. Only half of DLs now are Real ID so what difference has it made for the 17  years not enforcing Real ID? 

Edited by Charles4515

If you have a US Passport, guess what? You already have a RealID-compliant identification for accessing airports and Federal facilities. 

What bothered me is how the State of California (somewhat intentionally) botched the rollout of RealID. My California drivers license came up for renewal, including photograph, in September 2017. Four months later, California became one of the last states to offer RealID, but that meant that I have to get a new license. Fortunately, one year later, I moved to Texas, and my license is RealID compliant. 

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

How would Real ID make us safer than the non Real ID drivers license? I am willing to be convinced. I have no objection personaly  to having a Real ID DL .If my state gave me a choice I would have chosen the Real ID DL. Heck,  I have Global Entry which required an interview, all kinds of info, and fingerprints. I tend to think Real ID is theater. Only half of DLs now are Real ID so what difference has it made for the 17  years not enforcing Real ID? 

I totally agree but still if it is a law it should be enforced.  As a general thought and not just for the Real ID issue why pass a law in Congress if you don't plan to enforce it.  I would add as a more general comment that most of the so called security stuff they do at airports is theater.  A person with very little technical smarts could think of lots of ways to bypass their so called security measures. 

DON

On 12/5/2022 at 1:43 PM, donaldsc said:

The government has delayed the requirement for having a Real ID drivers license again for another 2 years.  That makes it how many times that they have delayed the program.  One wonders why they just don't just drop the whole program completely.  This is part of the reason that they give -

"Several travel and airport groups worried that implementation next year would lead to confusion and chaotic scenarios at U.S. airports, as noncompliant air travelers would be turned away from boarding domestic aircraft. Although the Transportation Security Administration accepts other forms of Real ID, such as a U.S. passport, none are as ubiquitous as a standard driver’s license.

“This extension will allow individuals more time to obtain compliant identification, helping to prevent undue travel disruptions and preserving the health of the aviation system as we continue to navigate the pandemic’s impacts on global air travel,” said Kevin M. Burke, North America president of the Airports Council International.

The U.S. Travel Association, which had been advocating for a Real ID extension, said in a statement that moving the deadline is “the right decision” to prevent significant travel disruptions."

I don't see why we should be worried about the travel disruptions for the people who can't be bothered to get the Real ID license.  After all people have been warned about this for years.  If the people have their precious travel plans disrupted that should be their problem.  They deserve to have them disrupted.  After all the Real ID program was supposed to take effect in 2008.  That was 14 years ago.  The program must be really important and useful if it hasn't been implemented 14 years after the required implementation date.

DON

I ignore because I plan to keep my passport active.  No need for real ID.