S. America cruise question

cruiser of the seas

We are leaving for South America in just over a month. We are going to Iguassu Falls, and I have been to my doctor and had a travel consultation done at the Health Unit. I was told that a Yellow Fever vaccination is not required, but Iguassu Falls is in the zone so a vaccination is highly recommended. We have this shot booked for Nov. 10. As for malaria pills, if you are in the tourist area and staying in an air conditioned hotel, they are not needed, but if you are staying in rural areas, then you do. Hep A & B vaccinations are highly recommended, as is thyphoid vaccination, plus make sure that your diptheria and tetanus are up to date. I am also going to take something to help prevent traveller's diahrhea (Dukocal sp?). Plus I am going to get the flu shot probably next week. Just a note, we have to drive for 4.5 hours to get the Yellow Fever vaccination, so it isn't something we are doing lightly, but my doctor, my spouse's doctor, and the health unit all advise it, so that is good enough for me. I also don't want to risk being denied entrance into some of the ports or LAX, or home because I have not had the vaccination. And I would rather be safe than sorry.

I and my partner are thinking of doing a s.american cruise next year, the question is the following.

We are thinking of doing the Celebrity Infinity Carnaval cruise on Feb 11, goes

Leaves out of Buenos Aires goes to Montivedo Uruguay, Puerto Belo Brazil, Buzios Brazil, then 3 days in Rio over Carnaval, then back to Buenos Aires for an overnight, total 14 days. My concern is would I be missing a great deal by not taking a cruise that goes down to the tip of Argentina and then back up to chile. I know many have spoken about the glaciers etc. Would this be a big part of S. America to miss if I decided to do the cruise mentioned above on the Infinity.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

It is a totally different experience - in some ways comparing a Caribbean cruise to Alaska. I would do the trip from BA to Santiago rather than on the Brazilian Carnival cruise. I would add BA, Montivedo, Rio, and Iguazu either before or after your cruise if you can manage it or come back and do this via a land tour. Although I can see the advantage in some ways, staying on the ship during Carnival would diminish the experience a bit in my opinion. The trip around the cape is much more difficult to pull off via a land/air tour.

We'll be doing the SA 65 dayer with HAL in January and would like your suggestions on tour guides.

These are the tours we took in January 2006. We were very satisfied with all except the one from Santiago to Vaparaiso; however that might just have been the tour guide that day. I wrote Enturchile about it.

Oliver at Iguazzu Falls has a differnet e-mail address, which I do not have at the current moment, but if you contact Carlos in Buenos Aires or PEter in Rio, they can give it to you.

Happy Sailing--we had a wonderful trip.

CONFIRMED TOURS

SUNDAY, JANUARY 8, 2006 SANTIAGO, CHILE

When arriving at the airport we are to be met by van from Hotel Orly. $30 We will go to the hotel, leave our

things and find our way to town!! (We may be sleepwalking, but we will keep going!) not the traffic to deal

The subway system is good, I understand.

MONDAY, JANUARY 9, 2006 SANTIAGO to VALPARAISO-VINA DEL MAR, CHLE

• Enaturchile http://www.enaturchile.com It would be a private van with English-speaking guide. Presently it is

$180 for all of us---transfer from Santiago to our hotel in Valpo and tour included. Approx. 8 hours.

From the e-mail, copied below:

The Indomita and Viña Casablanca is on the way to Valparaiso and Viña de Mar. The Casblanca valley you can

see great extensions of vineyard. The best plantation of white wine are in the way. Although white varieties

such as Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc have been recognized world wide, local winemakers hope to one

day be able to produce red wines of equally high quality in the valley. The growth of the wine industry in

Casablanca has been explosive. There are approximately 25 large vineyards established in the valley today,

including Indomita, Casas del Bosque, Casablanca, Veramonte, William Cole, and others

9:30 a.m. pick up from Orly Hotel.

10:30 Visit winery in the way.

11:30 Tour Valparaiso

13:00 Lunch in Viña del Mar (Reñaca)

5:00 Tour Viña del Mar.

17:00 Hotel Brighton.

Contact person is: Victor Aballai victor.aballai@enturchile.com Conf. # 3.586

Direct phone: +56 (2) 491-8224

Cell phone: +56 (9) 240-3159

We confirm you service. Order Service 3.586. The service is transfer Santiago (Orly Hotel) -

Valparaiso (Hotel Brighton), with stop in vinery, Tour Valparaiso / Viña del Mar, US$ 180 for 4 pax.

We will wait in the reception of hotel to 09:30 A.M. We dont need pay in advance. You pay to our

driver. Many thank for you trust again.

Victor Aballai R.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 10, 2006 VALPARAISO-VINA DEL MAR, CHILE

No plans. We can do what interests us. There is lots to see in Valpo—walking tour, riding the funiculars, etc.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 11, 2006 Check out of hotel and perhaps store baggage. See what else we want

to see and head to the ship.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 12, 2006 At sea. Get lost on ship. Eat. Get lost on ship. Eat.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 13, 2006 PUERTO MONTT, CHILE 7 am-5 pm

• GV Tours (http://www.gvtours.com) $50 pp. including lunch. Will meet us a pier. Recommended by

several who have previously used them. Owned by Gail and Veronica Stein. She is from Puerto Montt;

he from Oregon.

From Puerto Montt take the Pan American Highway north. Visit Frutillar (small German city),

Puerto Varas (large German city), Lake “Todos los Santos”, Petrohue Falls, Volcanoes Osorno,

Calbuco, Puntiagudo, Tronador, Lake Llanquihue, Angelmo (craft market). Lunch included:

Chilean Wines, appetizer, entrée (meat, fish or poultry), dessert.

Contact Person: Veronica and Gail Stein

E-mail: gvstein@surnet.cl

Phone: 011 5665-970021

Cell: 09-223941 (within Chile)

Cell: 98462361

Hi Rena,

As far as filling anything out, dont, just come to Chile and pay Veronica with good USA $ when you are done

on the great tour. When you get to the port all you have to do is, go thru the green building to the out side

entrance and we will have a sign with you names on it. Thank you in advance.

Gail & Veronica http://www.gvtours.com

Yes you may bring as maney folks as you would like, our van holds 15 but try to keep it at 12people, and if

you want to bring lotes of new freinds we also have a mini bus that holds 26, if that should happen all you

have to do is call us from ship, or E-Mail us and we will take care of you. We wish you all the best, and

HAPPY THANKSGIVEING.

GVTOURS

SATURDAY, JANUARY 14, 1946 At Sea—Scenic Cruising of Darwin Channel and Chilean Fjords

SUNDAY, JANUARY 15, 2006 At Sea—Scenic cruising of Amalia Glacier and Canal Sarmiento

MONDAY, JANUARY 16, 2006 PUNTA ARENAS, CHILE—7 am-8 pm

• Turismo Viento Sur (http://www.vientosur.com) Full day tour with Seno Otway Penguin Colony and city

tour $94 pp Includes English guide, private trans and museum tickets

January 16th: Full day tour $94 pp

07:30 Reception at the pier.

07:40 Departure to Seno Otway Penguin Colony.

09:00 Arrival to Seno Otway. Walk1 km through several paths to get closer

penguins nests and to see their broods.

10:00 Return to Punta Arenas.

12:30 Arrival to Punta Arenas. Lunch time on board or at a restaurant.

14:30 Reception at the pier/restaurant.

14:40 Departure for a City Tour of Punta Arenas (3 hours app.)

17:30 Arrival to the pier.

Punta Arenas - City Tour" (3 hours): Reception at the pier. This tour starts going to the main square/plaza

where there is our traditional monument dedicated to Hernando de Magallanes, and above of him there are 4

different figures and one of them is an aborigine that has a legend and this says: "if you kiss the indian toe you

will come back to Patagonia". Many tourists do it like a symbol of good luck and to come back again as well.

After this stop, you will visit Salesian Museum called Maggiorino Borgatello where you can find native flora and

fauna, history about pioners and aborigines who were in our lands. While you are going to main streets and

avenues where there are lots of monuments you will arrive to the General Cemetery that contains mausoleums

of immigrant families that came to our region.

Then, you will continue to an outdoor museum called Instituto de la Patagonia where it’s possible to see all

machines that were used by people in areas such as: agriculture, livestock, farming and other activities.

Finally, you will reach Cerro de la Cruz look out point to get a panoramic view of the city and Magellan Strait and

if it's not cloudy it's possible to see Tierra del Fuego (Fire Land) Island. Return to the pier.

Contact person: Francesca Baldecchi Main office: Monsenor Fagnano 585-Punta Arenas

Phone/Fax (56-61) 710840 E-MAIL: agencia@vientosur.com

Dear Rena,

I don't have any problem if you want to pay in cash at the pier. I would appreciate if you can send me the

fax with the form like a guarantee. After the tour you can come to our office to pick up the fax, you know I

won't need it anymore.

If weather conditions don't allow to dock being unable to disembark, you can call me from the ship or

anyway our guide will be giving me updated info of what is happening at the pier so I won't charge any

money in your credit card because I can understand this kind of situations and we really don't believe very

much in weather forecasts because it is very changeable all the time.

If you want to join more people on the ship the price per a bigger group will be cheaper so I just need you to

know how many you will be. It will be great if you can call me from Puerto Montt if you join morepeople to

your excursion, because I will have time to arrange a larger vehicle.

The guide will be as close to the gangway as he/she could be because it is not so easy to find a good

location at the small pier if there will be a lot of private vehicles and also the big buses of the ship

excursions. The guide will be holding a big sign with your name as shown in attached file. Please give a

sign when you see the him/her !

Delays in arrival schedules of the ships are always present because weather in our region is very changeable

so we can arrange the pick up time at 8.00. What do you think about it? And if it's 8.00 and it is still not

possible to disembark don't worry because the guide will be waiting for you at the pier. In January here is not

dark at 20.00 hrs. The day light lasts up to 22.30pm !!

Well, Sotitos is our best options in Punta Arenas definitely. You can find there the best kingcrab or sea

food dishes or lamb...anything you would like to eat but of course it is the more expensive one. Anyway, we

have another options and most restaurants are together in same street including Sotitos. So we can drive

you to this street in lunch time and you can also decide through feelings !!

TUESDAY, JANUARY 17, 2006 USHUAIA, ARGENTINA-- 1 pm-7pm

• HAL---National Park & Beagle Channel: Located only seven miles from Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego

National Park encompasses a protected area of mountains and sea. Travel southwest, through the

suburbs of Ushuaia and past the Pipo River to the National Parik. At Ensenada Bay there are views of

Redonda Island and across the channel are the stunning Nevados Mountains in the Sampaio Range.

Next you head to the Roca Sea, traveling along a narrow and picturesque route which teems with local

fauna. Walk alongside the edge of the lake and the River Lapataia with its natural estuary. Heading on

towards Lapataia Bay, you will board a catamaran and take in Lapataia and Ensenada Bays. Navigate

the Beagle Channel all the way to the Bridges Islands and Les Eclaireurs lighthouse. 5 ½ -6 hours.

$109pp Reference #: 401582

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 18, 2006 Cruising Cape Horn—stay upright on ship!!!!

THURSDAY, JANUARY 19, 2006 Cruise Antarctica Begin THE ANTARCTIC EXPERIENCE

FRIDAY, JANUARY 20, 2006 Cruise Antarctica

SATURDAY, JANUARY 21, 2006 Cruise Antarctica

SUNDAY, JANUARY 22, 2006 At Sea

MONDAY, JANUARY 23, 2006 STANLEY, FALKLAND ISLANDS –8am-5pm

• We will do this port on our own, Go to tourist station at pier for town map and walking/audio tour?

TUESDAY, JANUARY 24, 2006 At Sea

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 25, 2006 At Sea

THURSDAY, JANUARY 26, 2006 BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA 6 am-8pm

• Carlos Vitro at Private Tours. (http://www.privatetours.com.ar) Comes recommended by others

The most complete tour of Buenos Aires you can take is:

BUENOS AIRES SOUTH & NORTH Visit the oldest neighborhoods in B.A. PLAZA DE MAYO, visit to the

Metropolitan Cathedral. SAN TELMO, sightseeing constructions dating back from the XVIII and XIX centuries.

LA BOCA, where the first European immigrants arrived at the end of the XIX century; a walk along Caminito

(little path) you will find different artists, outdoor shows and colorful houses called conventillos. A visit to one of

these old constructions is included. To the north, PUERTO MADERO and its Docks, PALERMO and its woods,

OLIVOS: an outlook to the President´s Residence. SAN ISIDRO, old neighborhood where the aristocratic

families would spend their summer during the XVIII and XIX centuries; an outlook to some of these old houses

and a visit to its neogothic cathedral. A ride on the Tren de la Costa (coast line train) overlooking the river (Río

de la Plata) and the wealthiest mansions in Buenos Aires. Rounding up this tour we will arrive in TIGRE and

take a trip on a Catamarán boat through the different Delta´s islands.

Every day at 8:40 am.

Duration 7 hs. with lunch in La Boca + Evita´s Mausoleum U.S.$ 80.- pp. A Tango Performance incl.

Type of transportation an air conditioned van Mercedes Benz/Ford or similar + a driver + an

English speaking tour guide. Train and catamaran tickets are included. $80 pp.

Contact Person: Carlos Vitro info@privatetours.com.ar

Phone/fax: 4361-2786 International: (5411) 4361-2786

Cell: 15-5007-4716 (54911) 5007-4716

E-mail : info@privatetours.com.ar

Dear Rena

Thank you for emailing back. I will try to be your tour guide. But I cannot confirm that now. We are very busy

during the summer season and besides I´m not only a tour guide but also the manager of my friend´s travel

agency so sometimes is difficult to split in two. But to be honest I love more to tour than being behind the

desk but is part of my job. Fortunately, I´ve been working with cruise people for the last 3 years and it seems

that people made a legend about me. But we really have 3 excellent english speaking tour guides, too. So it

Is a pleasure for me when people ask me to be their tour guide because I feel I´m doing the things well. But

if for some reason I´m not your tour guide that day, be sure you will enjoy the tour because I´m behind every

little detail so you can really have a nice time in Buenos Aires.

Regarding your questions:

The van has capacity for 12 or maybe 13 people so if you find some partners on the cruise ship you can

share the tour with them. You can even get a discount. If you are at least 6 people. U.S.$ 75.- per person

and if you are 10 U.S.$ 70.- per person.

This is the tour we have booked for you 4.

January 26, 2006. 8:40 am.

B.A. South & North + Evita´s Mausoleum + Lunch in La Boca with a simple Tango Performance.

Price U.S.$ 80.- per person. Drinks included.

Way of Payment: Cash American Dollars, Euros or local currency when you are picked up for the tour.

Please try to find someone with a sign with your name Humerickhouse written on it "near the information desk

and the departure entrance".

FRIDAY, JANUARY 27, 2006 MONTEVIDEO, URUGUAY

• Take taxi tour for a couple hours when we get off ship, if desired,. Map is available and we can do our

own thing. There is a leather store that offers free shuttles into town with no pressure.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 28, 2006 At Sea

SUNDAY, JANUARY 29, 2006 At Sea

MONDAY, JANUARY 30, 2006 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL

Pedro (Peter) Novak of Private Tours (http://www.privatetours.com.br). See the website for a description of

the places, except the Sugar Loaf at sunset.

First: On the 30th Jan 06 ; Monday, we could do (suggestion): Starting as early as possible and

leave for Corcovado, Then to Tijuca National Park, Grumari tour with lunch then back to the

city along the beaches, and to Sugar Loaf for the Sunset, then to ship again. We should be

on board after sunset of course and to have your dinner on board as well.

Costs: for 4 persons with my Jeep : U$ 125 per person + expenses (tkt for Corcovado : R$ 5

pp, (US$ 2)tkt for cable car for Sugar Loaf R$ 35 pp (US$ 15) , fuel about U$ 25, lunch approx

U$ 15 pp). Approx. $165 pp. 1US$ = $R 2,27

Phone: (5521) 2232 9710 E-mail: pnovak@privatetours.com.br

Cell: (5521) 9175 1225

OK. Booked as per my suggested program. You pay at the end of the tour if you liked it, cash reals

or US dollars.

Yes, I will be your guide and driver, and safety man, and advisor , and and and ...

I WILL BE AT THE LOBBY OF PIER MAUÁ AT 8 AM. I WILL HAVE A GREEN SIDE BAG

HANGING FROM MY SHOULDER AND 2 GLASSES HANGING FROM MY NECK, PROBABLY A

YELLOW POLO SHIRT.

Kind Regards,

Peter

TUESDAY, JANUARY 31, 2006 SHIP TO AIRPORT TRANSPORT--$36 pp airport departure tax

Mayra says it is paid in ticket)

• Pedro Novak (http://www.privatetours.com.br) Van transfer $50

FOZ du IGUACU AIRPORT TO SHERATON

• Oliver Daizi (www1.fallsbrazil.com.br) Will be picked up at the airport and transported to the Brazil

side of the falls. There is a 1 km. walking at the falls, where one can enjoy the largest number of

waterfalls in the world, as well as marvelous sub-tropical rain forest. Walking about 40 minutes

downstairs at the end there is a small bridge that will lead you at the heart of the falls. You may get wet,

depends on the wind and the water volume. The options are to walk upstairs or take the elevator.

Duration: 2 ½ h (2 hour tour, ½ hour transportation) $43 pp incl Brazil NP fee.

There is also an aviary over 800 birds and 150 species of birds from Brazil and other countries. Birds

fly around in large cages allowing direct contact. In an area of 630 meter you can enjoy the most

beautiful and most exotic of birds. Duration: 2 hr. $15 US

Phone: 45-9103 4393

Dear Rena

Thank you very much for you e-mail I will be at the airport with your NAME written in a paper.

My phone: 45 - 9103 4393

About Brazil falls and transportation to SHERATON

Brazil falls US$ 35 per person

Brazil National park fee US$ 8 per person

I am not going to charge transportation (1 hour) to SHERATON but you wiill pay the

ARGENTINA NATIONAL PARK FEE US$ 11 per person

Your SHERATON HOTEL is in the Argentina National park but you will pay only ONE TIME, with the hotel ID card

you can go out and in as much as you want to.

Regards

Oliver

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2006 IGUAZZU FALLS

• Do our own thing

• Celebrate Ken Decker’s Birthday

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2006 IGUAZZU FALLS—1/2 DAY AND THEN TO AIRPORT TO

BUENOS AIRES

• Taxi transfer to airport—Airport tax when leaving both Iguazzu and Buenos Aires

• In Buenos Aires—Private taxi for Deckers between AEP and EZE $40

• In Buenos Aires---Private taxi for Humerickhouse $15

--- http://www.privatetours.com.ar Taxi to airport $14

---$18.00 pp departure tax (Mayra says it is paid)

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2006

• Private transfer to airport Contact: Carlos Vitro—Buenos Aires $25

Archived