S. America cruise question

cruiser of the seas

I and my partner are thinking of doing a s.american cruise next year, the question is the following.

We are thinking of doing the Celebrity Infinity Carnaval cruise on Feb 11, goes

Leaves out of Buenos Aires goes to Montivedo Uruguay, Puerto Belo Brazil, Buzios Brazil, then 3 days in Rio over Carnaval, then back to Buenos Aires for an overnight, total 14 days. My concern is would I be missing a great deal by not taking a cruise that goes down to the tip of Argentina and then back up to chile. I know many have spoken about the glaciers etc. Would this be a big part of S. America to miss if I decided to do the cruise mentioned above on the Infinity.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

While Rio at Carvanal must be exciting, I would not have missed going around the Cape and seeing the fjoirds and glaciers around the south end of So. America, and seeing Chile for anything. We went from Santiago to Rio with HAL, and I can recommend that route to anyone.

If you do take that cruise, be sure you get to Iguassu Falls. A highlight of my travel life was two days spent there.

I agree with everything Splinter has said. We also did Antarctica which was wonderful but if you cannot do that as well I would definitely do a cruise that goes to Ushuaia, Punta Arenas and Puerto Montt as the Chilean Fjords are so spectacular and the scenery in Chile is great.

We loved our three day trip to the Iguazu Falls as well it was on of the highlights of a trip that was made up of exciting new places and adventures.

Jennie

No it is not necessary to have a Yellow Fever injection for the falls, though we did have the injection as the Australian Government will not let anyone back into our country if they have been to S.A. and not had the injection!!

The falls was a side trip that we did independently before we boarded the ship. We flew from Rio and returned to there as our ship left from Rio but in hindsight I wished we had flown into Buenos Aires, had a few days there, then had gone to the falls and then flown back to Rio for a few days as B.A. is a beautiful city and one day there wasn't enough.

In Ushuaia we gained an extra day (long story) and so four of us took a cab and went first of all to the Hidden Lake which is about 100kms north of Ushuaia and then we went south to the furtherest place you can go on the continent. It was a great tour, took about 5 hours and cost each couple $50US.

In Punta Arenas, in the morning again we did a private tour on our own and were taken all around the city. In the afternoon we took the ship's excursion to Otway Bay and saw the penguins. They were the magellenic ones and were so cute.

In Puerto Montt we again did a private tour, this time with another couple and we spent the day seeing Fruiteller, Puerto Varas, the Petrohoe Falls, the Emerald Lake and lots of beautiful volcanoes. Lunch was provided as well. We had a beautiful sunny day and the scenery was spectacular. It cost us about $59US p.p. and we organized it before we left.

If you would like the names of the guides just let me know.

Jennie

Thank you to all that responded, I had a feeling that that would be the case, Although I am intrigued in going to Rio over Carnaval, I had a feeling I would be missing out on alot of things by doing that limited itinerary. I had also heard that the falls were spectacular, and going around the cape and the fjords in Chile. I will have to look into doing a different cruise, since I don't know how many times I will be in S. America and want to see the the important things the first time incase I don't get back again.

Would you recomend taking one of the cruises that starts in Rio and ends in Chile, and what ports do you think are a must.

I really appreciate your time in responding to me. Thanks so much

Regards

Tony

Hi Jennie,

Thanks for the interesting information and YES! Please give us the names of the guides. I know that you can't post them until there is a request and this is your request!

These boards are wonderful - we don't go until February 07 (eeks) but I'm piling up info for them.

Carol

No it is not necessary to have a Yellow Fever injection for the falls, though we did have the injection as the Australian Government will not let anyone back into our country if they have been to S.A. and not had the injection!!

The falls was a side trip that we did independently before we boarded the ship. We flew from Rio and returned to there as our ship left from Rio but in hindsight I wished we had flown into Buenos Aires, had a few days there, then had gone to the falls and then flown back to Rio for a few days as B.A. is a beautiful city and one day there wasn't enough.

In Ushuaia we gained an extra day (long story) and so four of us took a cab and went first of all to the Hidden Lake which is about 100kms north of Ushuaia and then we went south to the furtherest place you can go on the continent. It was a great tour, took about 5 hours and cost each couple $50US.

In Punta Arenas, in the morning again we did a private tour on our own and were taken all around the city. In the afternoon we took the ship's excursion to Otway Bay and saw the penguins. They were the magellenic ones and were so cute.

In Puerto Montt we again did a private tour, this time with another couple and we spent the day seeing Fruiteller, Puerto Varas, the Petrohoe Falls, the Emerald Lake and lots of beautiful volcanoes. Lunch was provided as well. We had a beautiful sunny day and the scenery was spectacular. It cost us about $59US p.p. and we organized it before we left.

Jennie

Carol,

We used Carlos of Private Tours in Buenos Aires. He was excellent and we had been recommended to him from this Board.

His email is: info@privatetours.com.br

In Punta Arenas we went through Pam. Her email was payne@ctc.internet.cl

and in Puerto Montt we used Carlos Andres Galindo and his email is galindotour@hotmail.com

In all cases we did not have to pay a deposit and we just paid them all on the day with U.S. dollars. They all spoke good English and were easy to understand.

They were all reliable and waiting for us as we docked with our name on a card.

My favourite ports were Buenos Aires, Ushuaia and Puerto Montt. We were unlucky and missed out on Puerto Madryn, Stanley at the Falklands and Chocabuco all due to bad weather.

I was very disappointed at missing out on Stanley as I had always wanted to go to the Falklands. I didn't mind missing the other two as much, in fact we had an extra day cruising the Fjords because we were too late for Chocabuco which I believe is a port with not much to offer.

Jennie

Jennie

could you tell me who you used in Puerto Montt?

In Puerto Montt we had GV Tours and they were very good. Good size van, lunch included, saw the volcanoes, the falls, German towns, etc. Were met just off the ship. Gail is from Oregon and his daughter Annie did the commentary for our particular day.

Paid $50 pp.

Ditto for GV tours. We had an excellent tour for the $50. I think there were 8-10 in our van. We had a party of 4. Wouldn't do it any other way. What has been said about their excellent tour, I agree with.

Hi Jennie,

Sorry about the late reply, but thank you for all the great information. It's just what I needed.

Hoping to make it to Australia after this one in South America!

Carol

Carol,

We used Carlos of Private Tours in Buenos Aires. He was excellent and we had been recommended to him from this Board.

His email is: info@privatetours.com.br

In Punta Arenas we went through Pam. Her email was payne@ctc.internet.cl

and in Puerto Montt we used Carlos Andres Galindo and his email is galindotour@hotmail.com

In all cases we did not have to pay a deposit and we just paid them all on the day with U.S. dollars. They all spoke good English and were easy to understand.

They were all reliable and waiting for us as we docked with our name on a card.

My favourite ports were Buenos Aires, Ushuaia and Puerto Montt. We were unlucky and missed out on Puerto Madryn, Stanley at the Falklands and Chocabuco all due to bad weather.

I was very disappointed at missing out on Stanley as I had always wanted to go to the Falklands. I didn't mind missing the other two as much, in fact we had an extra day cruising the Fjords because we were too late for Chocabuco which I believe is a port with not much to offer.

Jennie

;)

In Puerto Montt we had a private tour...in a Mercedes SL with an English speaking guide. We had a great trip, and for the three of us it was actually cheaper than the ship's bus tour would have been. We saw more, and went where and when we wanted, avoiding the crowds. We used this company:

http://www.chile-travel.com/eureka.htm

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back last week from our So. America Cruise on the Mariner and IMO, you would certainly be missing out on a lot by not going all they way around Argentina to Chile. I'd suggest you, AT MIMIMUM, cruise from Buenos Aires to Lima. If you get off in Lima then you should try to take advanage of being so close and go to Machu Pichu (fly from Lima to Cusco). That was one of the highlights of our entire SA cruise. Be aware though, the altitude in Cusco is HIGH (about 12,000 ft. as I recall) so you may feel some altitude dizziness there.

The Chilean Fjords were amazing and not to be missed!

The SA itinerary was so varied with such vast differences in climates and topography...one of our very favorite cruises ever!!

Was it necessary for you to get yellow fever shots to go to the falls?

Our itinerary takes us around the Horn and through the Straits of Magellan. Was that spectacular?

What shore excursions, other than the falls, did you do?

No yellow fevor shot.

We didn't go north, but the Amazon is going to require the yellow fever shot. I personally don't think I missed much by going south instead of north. I can't say the Iguasso Falls is amazing often enough. The Horn is just cool and damned cold.:cool: The fjords and glaciers are interesting and beautiful, but after a while you start to go ok another glacier. :cool:

Rio I am sure would be a once in a lifetime oppurtunity for Carnaval, but I will not find out as I am not boycotting Rio, but I don't think I could relax enough in Rio to really enjoy it.

I think the parts of the continent that are the most civilized Chile and Argentina are the parts that I would like to return to again and again. The northern part is really not much different than Africa poor and dirty.

JMHO

jc

• 2 months later...

Hi Aussie Gal

Asked our travel agent here in Oz - about the yellow fever injection for the Falls. She herself was there minus injection - no trouble coming back in. Maybe somebody has had trouble etc etc.

Thanks for all your info.

We are doing the Norwegian Crown in Feb.07 - looking forward to it. Three days in BA - three days in Santiago. and two days Iguassu Falls.

Anything special that you think we need to know about these three places - and any high lights.

Wendy

uote=Aussie Gal]No it is not necessary to have a Yellow Fever injection for the falls, though we did have the injection as the Australian Government will not let anyone back into our country if they have been to S.A. and not had the injection!!

Jennie

• 1 year later...
Hi Aussie Gal

Asked our travel agent here in Oz - about the yellow fever injection for the Falls. She herself was there minus injection - no trouble coming back in. Maybe somebody has had trouble etc etc.

Thanks for all your info.

We are doing the Norwegian Crown in Feb.07 - looking forward to it. Three days in BA - three days in Santiago. and two days Iguassu Falls.

Anything special that you think we need to know about these three places - and any high lights.

Wendy

We also went on to Peru and Ecuador (Cusco, Machu Picchu and Galapagos Islands) on that trip, so that may have been the reason we had to have the Yellow Fever injection. Also if you have flown straight back to Australia without a stopover on the way home, you have to mark that on the Immigration Form and then they will want to check where you have been. We had to produce our Yellow Vaccination cards last year at some Immigration check, cannot remember which one, could have been in one of the countries of S.A.

Later in 2006, same year, we did the Amazon cruise and that is one area where you do have to have the injection. I have read that now if you are going to the Amazon that the Brazilian authorities will not issue a visa unless you can prove you have had your Yellow Fever injection.

Jennie

Archived