"Bergen at War" Excursion Level of Difficulty

Newdaytrippers

We are doing the British Isles Explorer originating in Bergen.  This is our first cruise with Viking and our first visit to Bergen.  There is an optional excursion to both the Fjell Fortress and the North Sea Traffic Museum which lasts 6 hours.  It's called "Bergen at War".  I've visited both museum websites and am wondering why it is rated as demanding.  Normally we would not attempt a "demanding" excursion.  Other than touring down in the bunkers and labyrinths underground, which we can do, can anyone who has done this tour please let me know what's entailed.  Thank you.

When Viking list as demanding, from my experience listening to many port talks the day before, it often means:

1. More extensive walking
  2. Standing still for periods without seating available
  3. Stairs / steps (more than a few)
  4. Cobblestones and uneven walking surfaces
  5. Many non North American destinations do not have the same provision of hand railings and accessibility that we might expect

I have seen many guests on Viking not be able to physically complete a non-demanding tour.

I know that I have not answered your direct question because I have not done this particular excursion, but until someone does, perhaps this will help somewhat.

• Like 1

This is very helpful.  Thank you.  I'll need to look further into this.  My husband surprised me by climbing down steep narrow ladders on board Nelson's ship "The HMS Victory" in Portsmouth, but he is technically a "fall risk", which is why I am asking for the details.  No walker.  No cane.  But no handrails might be a concern.

• Like 2

Individual guides may also set varying levels of speed, etc on walking tours.  I've been on Viking city tours where the guide set a forced march pace, and others where a pleasant stroll was the pace. Even within different sections of the same tour, guides will set a different pace.

No way to anticipate that.

46 minutes ago, Newdaytrippers said:

ladders on board Nelson's ship "The HMS Victory" in Portsmouth, but he is technically a "fall risk"

Pet peeve, sorry, she is His Majesty's Ship Victory, who carried Nelson's flag at Trafalgar. She is now flag of the home fleet. 

She is not 'the' she is HMS  Victory or Victory 

*Gets down off high horse*

• Like 2