Packing a fan in checked luggage?

grobma

I've decided to follow the advice of bringing a fan on my upcoming cruise. I've read, though, that some people who packed one in their checked baggage ended up having their luggage sent to the naughty room. Has this happened to anyone, or have you successfully packed a fan in your luggage? Would rather avoid having to pack it in my carry-on which will be a small backpack. Departing out of NYC if that makes a difference. Thanks!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grobma said:

I've decided to follow the advice of bringing a fan on my upcoming cruise. I've read, though, that some people who packed one in their checked baggage ended up having their luggage sent to the naughty room. Has this happened to anyone, or have you successfully packed a fan in your luggage? Would rather avoid having to pack it in my carry-on which will be a small backpack. Departing out of NYC if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Been bringing one of these for years, on cruises, oversea's .....  https://amzn.to/3VFLw9k

Never had an issue in the luggage or in a cabin

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think it's hit & miss. In my 30 some NCL cruises, I've never ever had an issue with my small 4" fan that I always pack in my carry on personal bag, until this past January on the Breakaway. Security sent me to a special table and they took it away and said "You can get it back when you get on board" Well, NOT quite the issue, I fought with CS in the Atrium for 4 hours about being a diabetic & medically needed my fan. OMG!!!!! This would have been a deal breaker for me. Finally after 9:30 p.m. that night I got it back. Not a pleasant few hours for me.