Boarding question now please

wemjam

I remember a letter coming out a month or so ago about changes to the boarding process again, for Platinum and Diamond as well.

So, was wondering if anyone sailing recently could advise.

We are diamond and are traveling with Parents who are not.    We did a family cruise in September with 6 of us (3 rooms), and I just selected the same boarding time for all of us, and we all had the same boarding zone.  We boarded everyone together.  But that was before the "new" changes.

1.  Do you still check in 16 days before hand for diamond and 14 days before for those who are not?

2.  Do you get a specific boarding time and zone when you do your check in?  (figure if this is the same we will just wait and do check in for both room at same time and whatever boarding zone we get we will all board together again).

3.  If faster to the fun is pack, how does this play into all this? (Wondering if they should buy faster to the fun or not?)  I know standard procedure before was they just called Wedding, Diamond, Platinum, and then Faster to the Fun - then general boarding by zones.  Not sure if that is what they are doing now?  Or is it all determined by your boarding pass, when you check in, and what zone you get on that.

So very confusing post Covid lol.

Any help is appreciated.

3 minutes ago, wemjam said:

1.  Do you still check in 16 days before hand for diamond and 14 days before for those who are not?  Yes

2.  Do you get a specific boarding time and zone when you do your check in?  (figure if this is the same we will just wait and do check in for both room at same time and whatever boarding zone we get we will all board together again).

Yes, a 30 minute check in time window is assigned 

3.  If faster to the fun is pack, how does this play into all this? (Wondering if they should buy faster to the fun or not?)  I know standard procedure before was they just called Wedding, Diamond, Platinum, and then Faster to the Fun - then general boarding by zones.  Not sure if that is what they are doing now?  Or is it all determined by your boarding pass, when you check in, and what zone you get on that.

Yes, they will board just after you with FTTF, but I have not heard anyone report yet if FTTF still allows you to show up any time no matter what your check in time is post covid. 

I’d do the check/in 16 days ahead. Those with the 14 day may still get an early slot. I just checked in for Celebration about 3:00am the other morning from work and still got 10:30-11:00. You could still arrive with them if they get a later time than you.

my wife is platinum and earliest we had available to embark was 11am.   we selected 1130-noon, with anticipation of arriving to port about 1145.  we are arriving to port town day before and will enjoy "waking up slow" before boarding.  

its a really fast process this year.   i dont think its taken more than 15 minutes on any cruise and most of that is before or at the luggage scanners.  

2 hours ago, wemjam said:

I know standard procedure before was they just called Wedding, Diamond, Platinum, and then Faster to the Fun - then general boarding by zones.  Not sure if that is what they are doing now? 

Where do suites fit in now?   

I've been trying to follow this closely, in order to decide whether or not to purchase FTTF.  The way I understand it is thus:

1. 16 day online check in is for platinum, diamond, and suites only (not FTTF)

2. Diamonds and platinum must stick to their arrival appointment time. Last I heard, suites do not. I have not read any reports on FTTF in this.  However, the booking page for FTTF states that diamonds and platinum already have all benefits of FTTF. It would logically follow that FTTF must stick to their arrival appointment.

3. Wedding parties, suites, diamonds, platinum, and FTTF all board prior to zone A01 (I don't remember the exact order for these pre-A01 groups).

4. Without the 16 day check in window, or being able to arrive prior to the arrival time, the early boarding call for FTTF guests seems to me to be close to worthless.  If you are there early enough to board with the FTTF call to board, then you got an early check in time, and thus would have gotten an early A zone anyway, meaning you would be on the ship only a few minutes later (15 minutes maybe?). If you get a later arrival time, you miss the FTTF boarding call.  You do get the priority line for checking into the terminal, but, again, that saves you about 15 minutes these days? (I have no experience with these time estimates, it's just what I've read here)

IMO, if they are going to make FTTF stick to the arrival appointment, they need to give them the 16 day check in to make it worth it, but that would require making FTTF non-refundable at 21 days out or so.

Platinum & Diamond are back to the normal boarding process. You still select a time but you do not have to wait for your boarding time to arrive. 

Last week they were strict about Diamonds only in the Diamond lounge. Friends we traveled with had to wait in the platinum lounge. The only exception is if they are booked in the same cabin as a Diamond member.

Weddings board first. Suites were called, Diamonds next then Platinum guests. Just as it was prior to Covid. 

You have to watch closely as they didn’t make an over head announcement. It was actually very quiet and we only knew boarding had begun when we saw everyone getting in line. 

This was our experience in Port Canaveral boarding the Mardi Gras last week. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Where do suites fit in now?   

We are now on MG. We are Plat and have a suite this time. 

I was surprised but the suites boarded first.  People headed for the door to exit the building and if you didn’t have a suite on your boarding pass, then they wouldn’t let you through.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks all!  Decided to just do it the old fashioned way we used to pre-Covid when traveling with mom and dad. Since hubby and I are both diamond, I just had them swap mom and hubby into each others rooms.  That way, both rooms are Diamond.  😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

Thanks all!  Decided to just do it the old fashioned way we used to pre-Covid when traveling with mom and dad. Since hubby and I are both diamond, I just had them swap mom and hubby into each others rooms.  That way, both rooms are Diamond.  😉

Smooth!

5 hours ago, UpstateCruizer said:

Platinum & Diamond are back to the normal boarding process. You still select a time but you do not have to wait for your boarding time to arrive. 

Are you sure about D's and Ps not having to stick to their arrival time?  I keep reading yes's and no's on this.

Well, a little off topic, but I think I have the right crowd here.  Once you get onboard can Suites, Diamonds, and Platinums go drop off their luggage right away?  We are in a suite and Platinum if that matters.  This is my first cruise since priority was reinstated.  

Well, a little off topic, but I think I have the right crowd here.  Once you get onboard can Suites, Diamonds, and Platinums go drop off their luggage right away?  We are in a suite and Platinum if that matters.  This is my first cruise since priority was reinstated.  

Yes you can 

• Thanks 1

The suites on MG were completely clean and ready.  We were able to drop our bags and STAY.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1