Ovation of the Seas - Australian Cruises - Lack of Entertainment

Matkai

Hi Everyone, booked to go on our Cruise for March 2023, however, been hearing a lot from people who have just disembarked or are currently onboard Ovation of the Seas and they are not happy with the lack of entertainment or the absent Cruise Director?

RCL put out a press release telling everyone about what was going to be available on Ovation of the Seas in 2022 - do they change or water this down for Australian Cruisers as no-one has mentioned the main production 'The Dream' which was suppose to be onboard or the Theme Parties and Theme Nights?  

The only two acts that I have are comedians James Palomare and James Buster (both never heard of)

Has anyone cruised on Ovation of the Seas since it restarted and how did you find the entertainment.  

Thank You

Ent 1.JPG

Ent 2.JPG

Yes, we got off 2 weeks ago, the entertainment was dire, worst we've ever had on any cruise. 

Pixels Cabaret was showing although without any aerialists. The only production show was on the last night of our 10 night cruise but unfortunately I missed it as I was in isolation with covid by then.

There was a comedian at the beginning of the cruise but we didn't go to that, also the Australian Beatles and another group who weren't very good (can't remember the name but I detailed it all in my live review).

I think most of the problems are due to covid. Although they seem to be doing everything they can to keep it quiet the ship has a big problem with lots of staff and guests isolating every cruise as far as I can tell( from personal experience and what is being discussed in other forums).

No sign of the Dream, I too wondered if entertainment is different on Australian cruises but was repeatedly told by the Australians onboard that it never used to be like this. Nearly everyone was complaining.

Hopefully things will have improved by March.

23 minutes ago, kernow said:

Yes, we got off 2 weeks ago, the entertainment was dire, worst we've ever had on any cruise. 

Pixels Cabaret was showing although without any aerialists. The only production show was on the last night of our 10 night cruise but unfortunately I missed it as I was in isolation with covid by then.

There was a comedian at the beginning of the cruise but we didn't go to that, also the Australian Beatles and another group who weren't very good (can't remember the name but I detailed it all in my live review).

I think most of the problems are due to covid. Although they seem to be doing everything they can to keep it quiet the ship has a big problem with lots of staff and guests isolating every cruise as far as I can tell( from personal experience and what is being discussed in other forums).

No sign of the Dream, I too wondered if entertainment is different on Australian cruises but was repeatedly told by the Australians onboard that it never used to be like this. Nearly everyone was complaining.

Things are back to normal this cruise. Only a 7 nighter, pixels, live love legs, a beautiful dream, comedian, comedy juggler, Beatles show plus plenty of music and dance parties. My mother was on the same south pacific and B2B NZ cruise and said she spoke to the cd about it. Not only were the performers going down with covid but many of them were working other areas of the ship that were short staffed. The band that was supposed to come aboard in Noumea refused to board because of Covid cases. She virtually lives on ships during our cruise seasons and had never seen anything like it. I have been on many Royal cruises over the years including the Transpacific and the next NZ one this year and there were all the shows and bands up and running. You were definitely unlucky in more than one way.

Edited by bretts173
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, kernow said:

Thank you, we are seriously thinking of cancelling, have until the 16 Jan to pay final payment, but from what I am hearing - it is not looking good.  

I don't believe COVID is the main reason, as they seem to be able to still put on all of the intended entertainment on  the US cruises, and they don't require masks, vaccinations or pre-cruise testing anymore..  

1 minute ago, bretts173 said:

Things are back to normal this cruise. Only a 7 nighter, pixels, live love legs, a beautiful dream, comedian, comedy juggler, Beatles show plus plenty of music and dance parties. My mother was on the same south pacific and B2B NZ cruise and said she spoke to the cd about it. Not only were the performers going down with covid but many of them were working other areas of the ship that were short staffed. The band that was supposed to come aboard in Noumea refused to board because of Covid cases. She virtually lives on ships during our cruise seasons and had never seen anything like it. I have been on many Royal cruises over the years including the Transpacific and the next NZ one this year and there were all the shows and bands up and running. You were definitely unlucky in more than one way.

You are the first person who has said that 'A Beautiful Dream' was on the ship?  Are you sure this was the main production and if so, how many times was it shown?

What was your honest review of comedians, both of them I have looked up and does not look like they have much online or any tours (past or present) since about 2009 and 2010?

Thanks

Palomares was not my style but enough people liked him. He did wogs out of work back in the day. He has been more in to making and producing tv shows of late. James bustar have seen plenty of times. More a comedic juggler but always funny. However these entertainers move ships often. More than likely not on in March. We had Mario a Freddie Mercury comedy juggler on the Transpacific. The beautiful dream was on the first 2 cruises but not the last 2. Is back now.

11 minutes ago, Matkai said:

Thank you, we are seriously thinking of cancelling, have until the 16 Jan to pay final payment, but from what I am hearing - it is not looking good.  

I don't believe COVID is the main reason, as they seem to be able to still put on all of the intended entertainment on  the US cruises, and they don't require masks, vaccinations or pre-cruise testing anymore..  

I think it was very much covid related. The problem is that Australia still has restrictions in place so staff are being tested, having to wear masks etc. We noticed that whereas people in the UK and US are now largely not very bothered about covid lots of Australians are still scared of it so people are still testing themselves and going to medical if they are positive. I don't think this is now happening so much elsewhere, we are just living with it.

I also think the longer cruises don't help, more time for symptoms to appear while people are still on the ship, with 7 night cruises people are gone before they test positive.

Anyway sounds like it's getting back to normal now so that is good.😀

8 hours ago, Matkai said:

Has anyone cruised on Ovation of the Seas since it restarted and how did you find the entertainment.  

While you can see the shows currently available via the app, realize that anything can happen at any time to postpone/cancel those on any sailing, with COIVD being the main driver. On the flip side, shows can be added at the same time as well. If you base your booking/cancellation decision on show availability, don't cruise.