The Vibe in The Vibe

jschultz0829

I'm considering buying Vibe passes for my upcoming cruise on the Breakaway, but I'm wondering if we'll enjoy it. For background, I'm 45 and my girlfriend is 39, though we both think we're still 25. On our other cruises, we've danced every night until the after hours clubs kicked us out. And we leave our cruises with a bunch of new friends (not the upside down pineapple type though). In fact, we made such good friends on our last cruise on the Breakaway that they begged us to change our next cruise from Encore to Breakaway to sail with them again. So, having said all that, I'm curious if The Vibe would be right for us. 

Is The Vibe more of a party atmosphere or is it like The Solarium on RC cruises where it looks like it's nap time at the retirement home? Don't get me wrong...if you want to sleep 24/7 on vacation, that's fine with me. It's your vacation, and you should do what you want! But that's not really our favorite vacation activity. We like to listen to fun music, dance, and meet as many people as possible. 

I searched through these forums and found a post where someone mentioned there wasn't even music playing in the Vibe because other passengers complained about the music because they evidently wanted it to be a quiet zone. Is that the case on most sailings and Vibes? Or was that a rare exception?

If the Vibe has a fun party atmosphere, I'd love to get passes and/or a cabana so that I'm not circling the main pool like a vulture looking for an open seat. But if it's more of a library atmosphere, I'd rather save my money. What's been your experiences? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Edited by jschultz0829
spelling, punctuation

I haven't experienced the Vibe, but I have read a lot about what other posters say about it. It sounds like it's a pretty relaxed (read that as "shhh, don't speak") type of place. If you were my client, I'd highly recommend you save your money. 

Obviously it's possible I'm wrong since I'm spouting off secondhand internet information. Or, perhaps it varies by sailing and ship, but it doesn't seem to. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

It sounds like it's a pretty relaxed (read that as "shhh, don't speak") type of place. If you were my client, I'd highly recommend you save your money. 

19 minutes ago, poohbare19 said:

The Breakaway has Spice H20 (Aft deck 16) that has a bar, water feature and adults only for free. 

Ok, good advice. Thank you! Last time I was on the Breakaway, it rained everyday. So, I never ventured to Spice h2o. And about 4 years ago when I was on the Getaway, I was never able to get a seat in Spice h2o the 3 or 4 times I tried.

And to be clear, I'm not opposed to kids being around. But going to the main pool involves me walking around waaaaay too long looking for a chair while carrying my girlfriend's beach bag, which she seems to stuff half of the cabin into!

Edited by jschultz0829

We were on the Bliss in October of this year, and I would say the atmosphere is a little of both.  There were those that hung out at the bar and were a little on the party side, and those that just hung out on the lounges and didn't really participate with the party side.  

The first day we went in, there had been music, and I think that it really set the tone for having a good time.  After that, there was music a couple of days, but not every day, so I don't know if someone complained or not.  I think the bartenders have a lot to do with the "vibe" of the Vibe as well.

We were on a B2B and had purchased the Vibe for the 2nd leg, however a group chartered it out for that leg so we weren't allowed to go in.  We went up to the bar that was just outside the Vibe and was able to see and talk to the bartenders (who were really great guys) from the Vibe, but it just wasn't the same and we were bummed that we couldn't spend our 2nd leg in there.

I don't know if it is true or not, but I have seen posted on these boards that you could purchase the access ahead of time, and then if you did not like it the first day you could go to guest services and get a refund.  Again, I don't know how true that is.  

Have a great cruise either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve enjoyed the Vibe on the Escape, Bliss and Encore….with the Getaway reserved for January. To me, the Vibe’s main attraction is a private sun deck with a top notch bar, bathrooms, guaranteed access to a lounger/towel/umbrella and no crowds. To use OP’s analogy, you never have to circle the Vibe like a vulture looking for a lounger. In my experience it’s a fun, relaxing place to hang out, meet some new people and take advantage of the great staff, nice amenities and sunshine. People have always been friendly and open, but I would characterize the “vibe” as more “sit on the beach and enjoy a book and a beer” than a “dance the night away” atmosphere.  There isn’t any music as best I recall. Perhaps some playing in the background but definitely not a focal point. Nobody is dancing and singing along with Jimmy. Buffett while quaffing margaritas.  (Which is kinda a shame). 

I have never encountered more than 25-30 people in the Vibe nor sat at the bar with more than 5 or 6 other people at any given time. We are usually in/out throughout the day. We’ll set up in the Vibe and then go to the pool bar and listen to a band for awhile, grab something to eat or hit the water slides, go karts etc and then go back to the Vibe.  Sea days are busy, port days ramp up later as people return to the ship. The bar closes fairly early (7ish)  and although the hot tubs are open until 10ish, the Vibe is really a daytime private sun deck. 

I hope this doesn’t seem negative nor give an indication that the Vibe reception is cool or unfriendly - I find it quite the opposite. I’m Irish, I will talk to anyone, about anything at anytime. I’ll argue with you even if I agree with you - it’s part of my charm. I have always enjoyed talking to people and meeting new people in the Vibe  Everyone is on vacation and you can absolutely make new friends and have a lot of fun in the the Vibe.  I just believe that the Vibe focus is on selling small crowds, no kids in the hot tub, a great bar, top notch service, guaranteed access to a lounger, the security of knowing that you can leave your book and RayBans on your lounger,  go to the buffet and they’ll be there when you come back atmosphere more than they are selling the Caribbean beach party atmosphere.  Only you can decide if it’s worth it for you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MCM describes the Vibe quite well.

I have been in the Vibe several times and I am going to be in there next week if all goes well.

My wife and I have always enjoyed it. The main reason I enjoy it is no standing in lines by the main pool or H2O for a drink, no crowded bathrooms and there are plenty of areas to lounge.

Sometimes there is music and sometimes folks will bring in a speaker which we love music so all good.

The bar tenders are great and they really cater to you and keep you entertained.

I have had the passes for Vibe before where some in my group have not. when they wanted the high energy stuff around the pool or H2O I would go there for a hour then go back in the Vibe as a retreat from the huge crowds. 

• Thanks 1

I bought my first Vibe passes for the Prima in April.  The amenities and finishes of the facility look incredible.  For my cruise, I am hoping that the needle points closer to party atmosphere rather than research library.  It looks like it's big enough to have both.  Fingers crossed.

As an aside, I think every bar needs some type of music, even if turned down low.  It's a real asset to create a sense of place...that's been a pet peeve of mine for some of the outdoor bars on the Waterfront.

21 hours ago, quillwercruisers said:

We were on a B2B and had purchased the Vibe for the 2nd leg, however a group chartered it out for that leg so we weren't allowed to go in.

This seems to be happening more and more. When did you find out about the group booking?

I just paid $289. for a Vibe pass on my upcoming 12 day cruise on the Getaway in Jan., I'm looking forward a less crowded area with no kids. Anyone know about how many passes they sell they say there are only a certain  number of passes available from what I understand

31 minutes ago, DAVECHIPP1974 said:

I just paid $289. for a Vibe pass on my upcoming 12 day cruise on the Getaway in Jan., I'm looking forward a less crowded area with no kids. Anyone know about how many passes they sell they say there are only a certain  number of passes available from what I understand

They will try to sell whatever the Vibe capacity is. Each ship is slightly different. The Vibe on Getaway is larger than the Escape or Bliss and laid out differently than the Encore.  In my previous winter departures from NYC (2018/2020) the Vibe didn’t sell out. People didn’t  want to spend the money when the beginning and ending sea days are cold and wintry. It’s usually windy up there; 40 degrees in the wind with some possible precipitation does not draw the crowds in. Embarkation day and the first sea day are “limited use” days (as is the last day) - the weather just isn’t pleasant!

In 2020 on the Bliss they only sold appx 80 passes. We were in the low 70’s when we got to Headliners for our passes. Only a few people came in after us. The NCL employee had a stack of passes left to pass out when we received ours. (This is the old system of first come, first served on embarkation day). It will be interesting to see if more people purchase passes now that they are available prior to sailing. Until we see what this winter season out of NY looks like it’s anyones guess how busy it will be with the new pre-sail purchase option. In the past it was typical to have 10-15 people max in the Vibe at any given time. No matter, the crowds will be limited  because they sell only enough passes as they have loungers/cabanas. 

I’m on the 12 day Getaway 1/20/22 - either with you or right after you. Perhaps we find out together how busy it is. 

• Like 1

MCMC100 

Thank you, great info. I don't mind the weather at all I've lived in New England most my life and have worked every day ever outside. I'm more interested in the less crowded/zero kids aspect I'm on the Jan 20th 2023 sailing as well, we have a great roll call going on for this cruise, you should check it out.