Docking Ho Chi Minh

ssummer

Hello, anyone been there before with a Seabourn Ship? Is the cruise Port far away from the city center?

Particularly interested in the availabitity of taxis, train? Or should we better take a Seabourn transfer?

Info experiences more than welcome

thanks! 

Hi @ssummerwe have done this both on the Odyssey class and on Ovation. On our cruises pre-Covid we have parked right in town and we were able to organise private food tours etc and we just had to walk out into the main street. Ovation was parked towards the end of the dock so it was a few hundred metres but as 60yo at the time it wasn't a problem In fact it was interesting walking past the large Vietnamese Party/Event boats.

DSC_0375.thumb.JPG.17425b6c2fc5b00aa32bf3148a1475e2.JPGDSC_0379.thumb.JPG.68869b4ebe610c9a6bbdf65060173a9c.JPG

There is no train available though taxis were available outside the port. I can't help with that cost though as we had our tours. Seabourn did use to put on a shuttle bus in previous years that stopped in the main city near a major department store. We used it to gain access to the Eiffel designed post office and the main market. Crossing the traffic was an experience. I must admit I kept hold of my husband's arm and let him guide me across as I knew I couldn't freeze mid-crossing, though I wanted too 😐.

Julie

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Hi @ssummerwe have done this both on the Odyssey class and on Ovation. On our cruises pre-Covid we have parked right in town and we were able to organise private food tours etc and we just had to walk out into the main street. Ovation was parked towards the end of the dock so it was a few hundred metres but as 60yo at the time it wasn't a problem In fact it was interesting walking past the large Vietnamese Party/Event boats.

DSC_0375.thumb.JPG.17425b6c2fc5b00aa32bf3148a1475e2.JPGDSC_0379.thumb.JPG.68869b4ebe610c9a6bbdf65060173a9c.JPG

There is no train available though taxis were available outside the port. I can't help with that cost though as we had our tours. Seabourn did use to put on a shuttle bus in previous years that stopped in the main city near a major department store. We used it to gain access to the Eiffel designed post office and the main market. Crossing the traffic was an experience. I must admit I kept hold of my husband's arm and let him guide me across as I knew I couldn't freeze mid-crossing, though I wanted too 😐.

Julie

🙏 Julie

SSummer, are you on the January 8th sailing from Singapore to Ho Chi Min? Port Phu is 1.5 hours from the airport and little longer to Ho Chi Min City Center. I did some research and it looks like there is no real public transportation from Port Phu to the city. I’m trying to research with Seabourn if they’re offering transportation. If I find out something, I’ll let you know.

5 hours ago, Aloha Boy said:

Port Phu is 1.5 hours from the airport and little longer to Ho Chi Min City Center. I

I will need to go back through my past itineraries but prior to Covid they always docked in the city and my last visit was January 2019. I know they changed the Bangkok city port when they sold the little ships but were able to dock up river in Vietnam still with the bigger ships. Maybe get your TA to confirm the port they dock in and I hope they have given you the wrong port.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aloha Boy said:

SSummer, are you on the January 8th sailing from Singapore to Ho Chi Min? Port Phu is 1.5 hours from the airport and little longer to Ho Chi Min City Center. I did some research and it looks like there is no real public transportation from Port Phu to the city. I’m trying to research with Seabourn if they’re offering transportation. If I find out something, I’ll let you know.

Thank you for your help, there's a itinerary chance we stay 2 days at Ho chi Min ....

Same experience  as Julie, on Sojourn in 2014 and Ovation in January 2019. Docked right in town. The journey up to HCM and back down the river was a highlight for me, especially on the first trip. It would be a shame if SB now docks at Phu. 

Julie were you on the 2018/19 Holiday cruise? Or did you join in Hong Kong as we disembarked?

16 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Julie were you on the 2018/19 Holiday cruise? Or did you join in Hong Kong as we disembarked?

Isklaar we were on the Singapore to Hong Kong in 2019. We were on Sojourn for the 2018/19 Holiday cruise, stayed a few days in Singapore then joined Ovation. We will meet some day I hope either on a ship or in London 🙂.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 1:14 PM, ssummer said:

🙏 Julie.  We did this port in the Pride and we took the shuttle bus into town.  The main problem is  crossing the street with all the traffic that doesn’t stop.  Interesting!!  Still we survived. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 11:50 PM, ssummer said:

Thank you for your help, there's a itinerary chance we stay 2 days at Ho chi Min ....

Spoke to Seabourn. Ship is docking at Phu. They have not finalized transportation options for those passengers that are getting off and completing their cruise in Ho Chi Min City. They said to check back with them next week and was confident something would be finalized.

• Thanks 1

We have been to Ho Chi Minh City several times and the most fun we’ve ever had was using the “ Back of the Bike” dinner tour.  They pick you up at the pier and we went to five different restaurants for dinner.  Each restaurant was different and some were sidewalk dining on stools.  the final restaurant was for desert.

We rode on the motorbikes and never felt uncomfortable with our surroundings.  We missed out on doing this on our first trip and everyone that did the dinner ride came back raving about the experience.  We totally agreed with them after our evening.

You can look them up on their website and do your booking there.  Just do a Google search and you will find them!

• Like 2