Peruvian Unrest. Machu Picchu tour looking unlikely

trk_koa

1 hour ago, jocan said:

Is your January 14 MP tour still a go ?

They actually called me yesterday to tell me that everything was still going ahead as the tour operator assured them that everything was fine there now. However, the Canadian government still advises non-essential travel in the MP area which would nullify our travel insurance. Hopefully they left that advisory soon.

So with just over two weeks to go, it's still a bit wait and see unfortunately.

2 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

They actually called me yesterday to tell me that everything was still going ahead as the tour operator assured them that everything was fine there now. However, the Canadian government still advises non-essential travel in the MP area which would nullify our travel insurance. Hopefully they left that advisory soon.

So with just over two weeks to go, it's still a bit wait and see unfortunately.

Really good, that our tour is schedule for end of February only. Hopefully by then we will have more certainty this way or that way

• Like 1

7 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

So with just over two weeks to go, it's still a bit wait and 

Edited by Ballerina Sweetie Pie
Read earlier post stating she contacted Princess

Azamara is refusing to let us out of this without a penalty. They “might” let us move it to later in the year but with over a $1400 in penalties and cancellation fees. If we cancel and not move it, we get nothing back.The tour operator is telling them all is well and the tour will proceed.

So I guess we are going. We fly to Lima on December 31 and Machu Picchu is scheduled for January 4. Wish us luck.

12 hours ago, trk_koa said:

Azamara is refusing to let us out of this without a penalty. They “might” let us move it to later in the year but with over a $1400 in penalties and cancellation fees. If we cancel and not move it, we get nothing back.The tour operator is telling them all is well and the tour will proceed.

So I guess we are going. We fly to Lima on December 31 and Machu Picchu is scheduled for January 4. Wish us luck.

Cross fingers everything is going to be fine and you will be able to enjoy Machu Picchu.

please keep us updated and give us your impressions from the tour.

12 hours ago, trk_koa said:

Hope everything works out well for you. Princess is still telling us, based on what their tour operator has told them, that everything is okay and tour will go on as planned. We still have a level 3 government travel advisory for the area though so am keeping an eye on things. 

Let us know how you make out. On the positive side, I have heard Machu PIcchu isn't very crowded right now so that is a good thing.

10 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

Hope everything works out well for you. Princess is still telling us, based on what their tour operator has told them, that everything is okay and tour will go on as planned. We still have a level 3 government travel advisory for the area though so am keeping an eye on things. 

Let us know how you make out. On the positive side, I have heard Machu PIcchu isn't very crowded right now so that is a good thing.

If protesters have damaged the railroad tracks as significantly as has been reported, how are these tours going to get to Machu Picchu?  We aren't scheduled to do our Flora cruise/MP extension until 10/2023.

4 hours ago, texswamper said:

If protesters have damaged the railroad tracks as significantly as has been reported, how are these tours going to get to Machu Picchu?  We aren't scheduled to do our Flora cruise/MP extension until 10/2023.

The trains between Ollantaytambo  and Machu Picchu have been running since Dec 19. See Peru Rail press release here: 

https://www.perurail.com/news/resumption-of-operations-as-of-this-monday-december-19-2022/

On Dec 22, they resumed regular service

https://www.perurail.com/news/operative-information-since-december-22/

It sounds like the reports you were reading have greatly exaggerated the damage.

Edited by Mercruiser

8 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

The trains between Ollantaytambo  and Machu Picchu have been running since Dec 19. See Peru Rail press release here: 

https://www.perurail.com/news/resumption-of-operations-as-of-this-monday-december-19-2022/

On Dec 22, they resumed regular service

https://www.perurail.com/news/operative-information-since-december-22/

It sounds like the reports you were reading have greatly exaggerated the damage.

As usual, news loves to exaggerate.  Thanks for the links to better information.

I am following the Peru situation closely. I have a Azamara cruise booked Feb 12, Lima to Miami.

I have an independent, one-week, pre-cruise trip planned to Machu Picchu and Cusco. All of my reservations can be cancelled up to the last minute.  If that does not work out, we'll stay in Lima. The prices in Peru are very low, it's off season, so it is easy to make last minute changes.

So far, I am encouraged by the trip reports on Tripadvisor (parent company of CC). It sounds great to be at Machu Picchu right now - no crowds and no disruptions. Here are a couple of examples from the Tripadvisor Peru forum:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294311-i818-k14209802-Peru_Trip_update-Peru.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294311-i818-k14209603-Peru_the_actual_facts_21_December_2022-Peru.html

Of course, that could change in the future. There are rumors that protests will resume on Jan 4. Time will tell.

We arrived in Lima about 2.30 am due to a mechanical flight delay. The flight was barely 20% full. Few of us tourists. Immigration and customs was a breeze and we checked into the Hotel Costa del Sol by about 3:15am. The hotel is right across the drive in front of the airport . Our Azamara tour guide met us and we talked a bit in the lobby. He offered to take us touring today. We were a little wired so it took until after 4am to get to sleep.

Jose picked us up at 4 pm and we have been driving around past the beach and around Miraflores. Walked around near the JW Marriott and the mall. There is no sign at all of any unrest. Sunday and New Years Day, every one is out and about. Beaches are full, shopping, etc. We’ve seen security and police cars but not in as escalated state as we might have expected. 

We are currently at a restaurant in Miraflores, sitting outside, drinking a Pisco Sour and awaiting our seafood dinner.

• Like 4

I am planning on an independent excursion to Cusco, Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu in February. Would be much appreciated if anyone traveling there in January could keep us posted on their experiences. Thanks!

Change of plan. The tour company has changed our tickets for Cusco to this evening and the plan will be to see Machu Picchu tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. I think it in an abundance of caution since the truce with protesters ends Wednesday, January 4. 

I will try to keep posting if I have service. 

BTW, I highly recommend Museo Larco in Lima for history that predates the Inca and Spanish. Very interesting. 

Edited by trk_koa
Add museum mention
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here’s the email we just got from the Azamara land programs coordinator:

“My operator in Peru has just contacted me to inform me that they are making changes to the itinerary, as there was a strike declared for Jan 4, and they want to take the necessary pre-cautions to ensure the safety of the group and that you are able to visit Machu Picchu, the highlight of your trip. I have authorized for them to take the necessary steps and they will keep me updated of the situation.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trk_koa said:

Here’s the email we just got from the Azamara land programs coordinator:

“My operator in Peru has just contacted me to inform me that they are making changes to the itinerary, as there was a strike declared for Jan 4, and they want to take the necessary pre-cautions to ensure the safety of the group and that you are able to visit Machu Picchu, the highlight of your trip. I have authorized for them to take the necessary steps and they will keep me updated of the situation.”

Thanks for your posts - following with interest as our pre-cruise tour starts January 14.

On 12/29/2022 at 7:22 AM, Mercruiser said:

I am following the Peru situation closely. I have a Azamara cruise booked Feb 12, Lima to Miami.

I have an independent, one-week, pre-cruise trip planned to Machu Picchu and Cusco. All of my reservations can be cancelled up to the last minute.  If that does not work out, we'll stay in Lima. The prices in Peru are very low, it's off season, so it is easy to make last minute changes.

<snip>

Of course, that could change in the future. There are rumors that protests will resume on Jan 4. Time will tell.

Unfortunately, it looks like travel to Machu Picchu is interrupted again. This notice is from FTSA, the rail operator in Peru. (Perurail and IncaRail use their tracks.)

Here is the google translate of the notice in Spanish (red emphasis mine):

FTSA
Cusco, January 3, 2023.
COMMUNICATE
Ferrocarril Transandino S.A., concessionaire of the railway in the South and South East of
the country, informs public opinion and railway operators that:
Given the indefinite restart of the protest demonstrations in Cusco,
Puno and Arequipa, we are obliged to suspend railway operations as of
this January 4 and until further notice, at:
The section: Cusco - Urubamba - Ollantaytambo - Machupicchu - Hydroelectric
and the Urubamba - Pachar branch, of the southeast railway.
In the sections: Cusco - Juliaca - Puno and Juliaca - Imata - Pillones - Arequipa,
of the southern railway.
We regret any inconvenience these measures may cause; however, we adopted
this decision as a preventive measure that prioritizes the safety of people in
the face of possible blockades of the railway.
We ask all railway operators to take the forecasts of the case.
Any change in this measure will be communicated in a timely manner.
Carefully,
Ferrocarril Transandino S.A.
O

Here is the original post:

https://www.facebook.com/FerrocarrilTransandino/posts/pfbid032HEERTBQnnboMGFFkVC59fnYeX5LZzT6U88BVVzfJ1j9f4vjwLzqxzuefRSfZf9Tl

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 1

Make take on this is they are preemptively closing the rail lines to prevent having people stranded in Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo). That's what happened in December and it generated lots of international publicity - the kind that results in tourists avoiding Peru.

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 1

Thanks for continuing to post info and first hand reports of the current Peru situation.

We have plans for March in Cusco/Machu Picchu but from what I am reading, things are not improving and it is very doubtful......The US State Dept lists Cusco as DO NOT TRAVEL. Here is the link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/peru-travel-advisory.html

(I like the idea of there being few tourists at Machu Picchu but do not like the idea of being one of the few tourists there if things go bad again!)

• Like 1

Trains are all leaving Aguas Calientes tonight. Due to the called strike for tomorrow, MP will be closed. No guests are allowed to stay at the Belmond so they were all scrambling to rebook trains and hotels in Cusco. Cusco roads will be closed tomorrow also. We are meeting our guides at 8:45 am in our hotel lobby and we should know more about what we can do or see then.

I am so glad our tour company flew us to Cusco a day early and we got to see Machu Picchu today. The skies were over cast but bright with the occasional sprinkle. So not too hot, not too cold, not too wet. We got some great photos and the Hiram Bingham folks fed us too well. 

1F54AB04-09B6-4111-818F-74F52FC20EA1.jpeg

177FD070-205A-4E08-BF46-43AAAE89241D.jpeg

Edited by trk_koa
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Thanks for continuing to post info and first hand reports of the current Peru situation.

We have plans for March in Cusco/Machu Picchu but from what I am reading, things are not improving and it is very doubtful......The US State Dept lists Cusco as DO NOT TRAVEL. Here is the link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/peru-travel-advisory.html

(I like the idea of there being few tourists at Machu Picchu but do not like the idea of being one of the few tourists there if things go bad again!)

You have significantly misinterpreted the travel advisory. 

You state, "The US State Dept lists Cusco as DO NOT TRAVEL." You are implying that the city of Cusco is in the do not travel category. That is not correct.

Actually, what they say is "Do not travel to: ... The Valley of the Apurímac, Ene, and Mantaro Rivers (VRAEM), including areas within the Departments of Ayacucho, Cusco, Huancavelica, and Junin, due to crime and terrorism."

Firstly, the Department of Cusco is not the same as the city Cusco. The Department of Cusco is large area analogous to a US state or Canadian province. The city Cusco is the capital city of the Department of Cusco, analogous to Oklahoma City being the capital of the state of Oklahoma.

Secondly, the State Department do not travel warning applies to the VRAEM area, which is no where near the city of Cusco. VRAEM is an area approximately midway between Lima and Cusco city. See map.

image.png.f6b5763bdb72acdffc91a6943e52e77f.png

Edited by Mercruiser
  • Like 1