“Sale” price to upgrade Classic Drinks to Premium?

TravelingCircusof5

I am getting X Sale emails about upgrading drinks, but no actual info without calling. We have the flu, and my brain needs some advance processing time before a decision right now. Has anyone called in and discovered the upgrade price per day? Is it worth pre-cruise purchase vs on board? Thank you

Are you eligible for a discount based on your CaptIns Club status?  

The normal upgrade price is $15 pd plus 20% gratuity.

The drink package prices are discounted in the Cruise Planner so the upgrade is $14 pd plus 20%.  If you are Elite in the Captains Club then you would get a 15% discount for upgrading pre cruise. So instead of $16.80 pd it would be $14.38 pd pre cruise.  You do have to call to upgrade.  

On 12/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, TravelingCircusof5 said:

Thanks. No, this is our first X cruise.

This being the case, I would recommend waiting until you are onboard to do the upgrade.  My reasoning is that the 20% gratuity that you pay will go to the person you do the upgrade with.  Bartenders have a good memory and any bartender you upgrade with will be appreciative.   Just don't do it at one of the stands that are set up on the ship.  You'll most likely never see that individual again. 

My two favorite places to upgrade are the Martini Bar or the Ensemble Lounge.  I frequent both so it's usually a toss up where I do the upgrade. 

• Like 1

I wonder with the price of the classic and premium drink packages going up, will the daily upgrade cost to also go up. Currently, it costs $15 + 20% gratuity per day to upgrade on the ship. (it's slightly cheaper to upgrade pre cruise $14 + 20% gratuity per day or with a captains club discount(10% -15% off).  

The classic package will cover drinks up to $10 and the premium package will cover drinks up to $17. I would expect the price of drink if purchased a la carte will rise by the same amount.

I went ahead and upgraded to the premium beverage package today before the price increase. I got my 10% Captains Club discount (only a classic member) but they didn't let me combine that with the 9% pre-cruise savings. They did, however, only charge me 18% gratuity. 

I'm a solo sailor so I had no roommate forced to upgrade.