Medical

Calypso54

26 minutes ago, Calypso54 said:

We are both 66 and covered by Medicare and Tricare for life. Do we need any additional medical coverage other than medical evacuation? Posted this on Steve Davos Q&A November, but I don't think it is still active. 

Trip insurance store

816-282-6858.

I got this from the policy I bought from Steve (Tripinsurancestore) 

I don't think Medicare covers outside the U.S. Not sure about Tricare. You would need to call and ask them.

45 minutes ago, Calypso54 said:

We are both 66 and covered by Medicare and Tricare for life. Do we need any additional medical coverage other than medical evacuation? Posted this on Steve Dasseos Q&A November, but I don't think it is still active. 

Hi Calypso54,

M y Q & A is still active through at least the end of 2022 and it's likely to continue into 2023.

This is what I wrote in my answer to you:

Medicare won't cover you. If you got ill or injured outside the USA, what's the most you will pay in deductibles and co-pays that Tricare doesn't pay?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are both over 70, we have 2 cruises planned for 2023. My main concern regarding insurance is for coverage in case something catastrophic required air lifting from a cruise ship. I haven't found any policies that speak specifically to medical evacuation in this instance (from a ship). Does anyone know of stand alone policies that cover evacuation from a cruise ship in addition to possible transport back to home country, without adding on trip cancellation and all the other provisions? 

13 minutes ago, senior gal said:

My husband and I are both over 70, we have 2 cruises planned for 2023. My main concern regarding insurance is for coverage in case something catastrophic required air lifting from a cruise ship. I haven't found any policies that speak specifically to medical evacuation in this instance (from a ship). Does anyone know of stand alone policies that cover evacuation from a cruise ship in addition to possible transport back to home country, without adding on trip cancellation and all the other provisions? 

Air/sea rescue is performed only by highly trained and equipped coast guard/military units of the nearest country capable of providing the service. It depends on where in the world you are.

In any event, there is no cost. You are responsible for the cost of medical care on the ship as well as medical care on land once you are in the hands of the civilian health care system.

There are policies that cover medical only. These policies include evacuation, but that means transport from hospital to hospital if you need a higher level of care. Transportation home is usually by commercial air after recovery.

MedJet is a membership association that provides transportation to the hospital of your choice after initially being admitted elsewhere.

If you don’t want/need coverage for cancellation and other travel risks, investigate these options. For professional help sorting through it all, contact Trip Insurance Store.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, senior gal said:

Just confirming what Babr is stating. There is no cost to the patient if an emergency requires medical evacuation from the ship.