Crown Princess Hawaii - 15 Feb to 2 Mar - Trip Prep & Live

arctickitty

35 minutes ago, arctickitty said:

Kristoff was back in action in full force making announcements, opening and closing the show, and hosting the Yes/No game show.

I’ve not attended a game show anywhere before but we were walking past Explorers and Kristoff just lights up a room so we popped in and watched.  It’s very healthy to laugh so much.  I think he is funnier than the professional comedians.  The assistant cruise director Matt is not as polished but he was really good at tricking the contestants in the game.

I haven’t heard who is replacing Kristoff but Special Someone has dared me to go up and ask him and tell him my “followers on cruise critic” would like to know.  I do know he is from South Africa, single, has two beagles, and has been with Princess for 6 years.  Matt is also from South Africa and has been with Princess for 4 months and has 2 cruises left.  

Besides Kristoff, I have noticed that while all of the production dancers and singers are very talented, a few of them just light up the stage more than the others.  I wish Princess would a do a program like at a traditional theater so you could learn their names and read a bit about their backgrounds.  They could do this in the app even if they didn’t want to waste paper by printing it.  At times in the shows they announce the names of the singers and I’ve tried to remember them but haven’t retained much.

My favorite singer I call dread-hawk because he wears his dreadlocks in a Mohawk and when he ambles onto the stage he lights up the whole theater.  I think they said his name is Des.

My favorite dancer is Hannah and I don’t know if I’m just prejudiced in favor of her because she teaches the dance fitness classes or not but I think she has an edge on skill above the other very skilled dancers and a brighter and fuller stage presence.  

We have seen 3 production shows so far and they have wowed us beyond what we expected.  Every aspect of the shows has impressed us: singing, dancing, choreography, live music, sets…. There are more performers on stage at a time than I’ve seen on Princess before and they work together so well.  Encore had the production singers and dancers, the orchestra, the string duo, and a guest soprano.  The disco show and Sweet Soul Music have had the singers and dancers and orchestra.

In the meantime, I’ll leave you with an additional onboard mystery, spotted in the afternoon on the promenade deck.  I have my own theory on this but we are curious what others think.

57FAEC5C-227F-4A2D-9077-102F55C5433C.thumb.jpeg.78decebcece899695b111ac6536797c6.jpeg

8C41EB69-30DC-42C0-BA02-A778EE1CD148.thumb.jpeg.18dd4d2c1216c4f4ae952aff85832913.jpeg

0A3ED2F5-B944-41E9-88FE-273CACC74E6A.thumb.jpeg.0669d68f6bc430fa00366e72df14274c.jpeg

I think it’s going to be the place that I want my final resting place to be…somewhere off a ship in a beautiful ocean. So, my guess is a burial at sea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@arctickittyAt times in the shows they announce the names of the singers and I’ve tried to remember them but haven’t retained much.

You can find a introduction board on Deck 6/Starboard side, near the entrance to the theater.  It will have head shots and names of the principle singers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@arctickittyAt times in the shows they announce the names of the singers and I’ve tried to remember them but haven’t retained much.

You can find a introduction board on Deck 6/Starboard side, near the entrance to the theater.  It will have head shots and names of the principle singers.  

We will have to go look for that!

4 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I think it’s going to be the place that I want my final resting place to be…somewhere off a ship in a beautiful ocean. So, my guess is a burial at sea. 

This was my theory as well.

Regarding the hallway tables, one has disappeared from our deck but a new one appeared along with a red biohazard bag and a stateroom attendant cleaning that room while wearing an N95.

• Like 1

Regarding questions about how drinks are charged or comped when ordered via Ocean Now (room service) I have some screenshots to illustrate how to check your order.

This shows a free (comped) beverage order of tea and a lovely mocktail.

F2E7F4DB-0CBE-475F-97DD-F3284603A8EA.thumb.jpeg.7492aa8ac1bd25d588bac026acbf1340.jpeg

You can also see that with an order you can see if it has been placed, is being prepared, and is being delivered although in reality these buttons are not perfect as we’ve had some orders show up before the “on the way” button had lit up.

But for whatever reason they want money for hot chocolate.  These figures are visible in your electronic shopping basket before you check out (click order button).  You can see that the service charge is automatically added to a non-free item but not to an included item because the Princess Plus package already included the service charge.

EDF24572-9F3F-4BFE-9C81-7CF6D32F11E9.thumb.jpeg.d68dc6f079f8069e57dbf481d217469b.jpeg

This shows a theoretical food order with only complimentary items.

C3D913F3-B686-4E7F-A8F0-E32E4CEE6AA5.thumb.jpeg.7359b9eb0b58079907752802759e5413.jpeg

This shows a theoretical good order with both free and for-fee food items.  Note the lack of a charge for the pizza.  I thought the pizza costs money but it doesn’t seem to at the moment.

15B1D33C-DB13-463A-9834-08AC84CB14AD.thumb.jpeg.729fb6b615f97066f4e73b171df9912d.jpeg

• Like 1

Regarding the hot chocolate mystery and also the chocolate cookie flavor mystery…

69975D15-0E24-4F11-9ADD-1A2C286F3604.thumb.jpeg.f7c80523e1aa8f999e479cf7857c8ead.jpeg

I went to the International Cafe and asked if hot chocolate is included in Princess Plus and the staff member looked up my account and tried it and said yes.

8A161353-62FB-416C-B0E0-B0D901ABBBC5.thumb.jpeg.3cc7403dd792a8095f1598007505c75c.jpeg

And since I have been previously unsuccessful at ordering anything with the chocolate cookie flavor I ordered the iced chocolates cookie drink off the New Grounds menu…and it tastes like a cookie.

F288966F-C0FA-4368-9120-D0FE746EDD2D.thumb.jpeg.b28b92c3070d5cc39e2d084517c545f4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, arctickitty said:

Regarding questions about how drinks are charged or comped when ordered via Ocean Now (room service) I have some screenshots to illustrate how to check your order.

This shows a free (comped) beverage order of tea and a lovely mocktail.

F2E7F4DB-0CBE-475F-97DD-F3284603A8EA.thumb.jpeg.7492aa8ac1bd25d588bac026acbf1340.jpeg

You can also see that with an order you can see if it has been placed, is being prepared, and is being delivered although in reality these buttons are not perfect as we’ve had some orders show up before the “on the way” button had lit up.

But for whatever reason they want money for hot chocolate.  These figures are visible in your electronic shopping basket before you check out (click order button).  You can see that the service charge is automatically added to a non-free item but not to an included item because the Princess Plus package already included the service charge.

EDF24572-9F3F-4BFE-9C81-7CF6D32F11E9.thumb.jpeg.d68dc6f079f8069e57dbf481d217469b.jpeg

This shows a theoretical food order with only complimentary items.

C3D913F3-B686-4E7F-A8F0-E32E4CEE6AA5.thumb.jpeg.7359b9eb0b58079907752802759e5413.jpeg

This shows a theoretical good order with both free and for-fee food items.  Note the lack of a charge for the pizza.  I thought the pizza costs money but it doesn’t seem to at the moment.

15B1D33C-DB13-463A-9834-08AC84CB14AD.thumb.jpeg.729fb6b615f97066f4e73b171df9912d.jpeg

Sorry if it was somewhere in here earlier, but just trying to grasp. There is no room service charge on Princess at all, aside from certain items that aren't complimentary? Is this because of a certain package (I have Princess Plus) or just basic policy on Princess.

I know I'm new to cruise life as I won't have stepped on a ship until April, but that seems to be a pretty good perk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastas617 said:

Sorry if it was somewhere in here earlier, but just trying to grasp. There is no room service charge on Princess at all, aside from certain items that aren't complimentary? Is this because of a certain package (I have Princess Plus) or just basic policy on Princess.

I know I'm new to cruise life as I won't have stepped on a ship until April, but that seems to be a pretty good perk.

@Anastas617 the way I understand it is there isn’t a blanket fee for room service, but some items have a charge.  The cost of some of the for-charge items may be waived by your package.  If you don’t have a package, the basic food items like burgers, salads, soup and desserts are free, listed as “complimentary” in the app. 

There is also the breakfast card that you can hang on your door at night to have breakfast ordered for you.  There is no charge for this service.

• Thanks 1

Just now, arctickitty said:

@Anastas617 the way I understand it is there isn’t a blanket fee for room service, but some items have a charge.  The cost of some of the for-charge items may be waived by your package.  If you don’t have a package, the basic food items like burgers, salads, soup and desserts are free, listed as “complimentary” in the app. 

There is also the breakfast card that you can hang on your door at night to have breakfast ordered for you.  There is no charge for this service.

Awesome. Good to know. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I searched all around the theater on both floors and both sides and couldn’t find one.  Closest thing was this:

4D04AECF-E24A-4A7E-BBD6-4B9B97EA96C2.thumb.jpeg.632ba141f5740aec2b2a1708903b5358.jpeg

The sign changes with the day’s show.

37 minutes ago, arctickitty said:

I searched all around the theater on both floors and both sides and couldn’t find one.  Closest thing was this:

4D04AECF-E24A-4A7E-BBD6-4B9B97EA96C2.thumb.jpeg.632ba141f5740aec2b2a1708903b5358.jpeg

The sign changes with the day’s show.

hmmmmm.  If memory serves me…(not counting on that).  Let me see if I can set up a visual.  

Next time you are in the theater.

Exit through house right/stage left/starboard side of the ship.  
From Deck 7, walk down the stairs leading to the lower level.  Do not go all the way down.  

Use deck 6 stairs to exit theater (I think the Crown has a set of stairs). They should be by the special balcony seats.

When you get down to the bottom of the stairs, you will pass the Cruise Director’s hidden door on your left.  

In front of you, there should be a small 2 foot counter people leave their drinks on.  
Above that shelf should be the display case (not computer display).

Then you exit through the double doors to the conference center lobby.  

This might be easier..

Starboard side of ship.  Deck 6
Pass women's bathroom on right.
Enter conference center lobby.

Go through double doors that enter the theater. Most often, these doors are closed until 30 -60 minutes prior to a performance. 
Open doors…walk through…display case is above a small counter.  

4875AEDE-D43F-4006-A33B-1C8C2B3B1724.jpeg

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jaycruising said:

My favourite hot chocolate adult drink is with a shot of baileys in it… if you haven’t tried it!

25 minutes ago, Bettyboop66 said:

Hot chocolate with a shot of peppermint schnapps is also very yummy!!

Endless options for hot chocolate…

Quick coffee update:

We tried the coffee from a dispenser at the buffet and to us it tasted like instant coffee, so not fancy but not bad, and we could drink it if we didn’t have a package (tastes like camping).

Special Someone wanted to try MDR breakfast to see what the fuss is about so we got in line at 6:55 this morning (they opened the doors at 6:57) and our “lattes” were not what I expected.  When they arrived, he teased me, “You lied.”  They tasted like instant coffee with a little milk.  I’m not sure what they were.  

52F7D6BB-1F96-4E37-B3E1-0B07D1FAC639.thumb.jpeg.c6c39fb6bdb6babb90c57234ce287967.jpeg

The prior time I ordered a latte in the MDR I got the blue ceramic cup with an IC latte and latte art.

5FDA08F1-B6C5-48A7-8C7B-8C6A031B3E01.thumb.jpeg.8dc20fb304a66255bfebd6d5337c58c9.jpeg

At the IC, I asked about the mint chocolate flavor and they said that is still out and the white chocolate is out, too.  With that intel, I tried ordering a chocolate cookie latte one more time and this time I got a latte that tastes like a chocolate cookie.

32 minutes ago, arctickitty said:

Quick coffee update:

We tried the coffee from a dispenser at the buffet and to us it tasted like instant coffee, so not fancy but not bad, and we could drink it if we didn’t have a package (tastes like camping).

Special Someone wanted to try MDR breakfast to see what the fuss is about so we got in line at 6:55 this morning (they opened the doors at 6:57) and our “lattes” were not what I expected.  When they arrived, he teased me, “You lied.”  They tasted like instant coffee with a little milk.  I’m not sure what they were.  

The prior time I ordered a latte in the MDR I got the blue ceramic cup with an IC latte and latte art.

5FDA08F1-B6C5-48A7-8C7B-8C6A031B3E01.thumb.jpeg.8dc20fb304a66255bfebd6d5337c58c9.jpeg

At the IC, I asked about the mint chocolate flavor and they said that is still out and the white chocolate is out, too.  With that intel, I tried ordering a chocolate cookie latte one more time and this time I got a latte that tastes like a chocolate cookie.

I love that cup! I think that is the cappuccino cup though. I only got it when I ordered cappuccino after dinner, otherwise for lattes I got the glass one.

I asked if I could buy one last year and it was a no. I would pay good money for that rather than the crappy souvenir mugs they sell.

4 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I love that cup! I think that is the cappuccino cup though. I only got it when I ordered cappuccino after dinner, otherwise for lattes I got the glass one.

I asked if I could buy one last year and it was a no. I would pay good money for that rather than the crappy souvenir mugs they sell.

When I was 14-15 I worked in a local chain restaurant that was similar to a Dennys that served instant cappuccino from a machine in cups like that and people stole the cups on a regular basis.

2 minutes ago, arctickitty said:

When I was 14-15 I worked in a local chain restaurant that was similar to a Dennys that served instant cappuccino from a machine in cups like that and people stole the cups on a regular basis.

I’m sure it happens. Not an option for me though. Would feel too guilty to enjoy it. 
The espresso cups at IC are pretty cute too.

@arctickittyThanks for such an informative post! Question - Would you travel on this ship again? Your report leads me to believe that Crown Princess has overcome most of the issues that were a problem last year.

Your food photos easily provide proof that there isn't any shortage of food, nor selection. Food looks as I would expect it to. I have been on Royal class ships since the restart...but many smaller ones previously, as well. Crown class and Grand class.

Sorry if you already mentioned this area - have you eaten at Sabatini or Crown Grill? Anyone else, from your recent experience onboard, thoughts please?

TIA