Costa Toscana Blog

Wansbrough

1 minute ago, Wansbrough said:

We missed Doha and I can't remember seeing one in Muscat. We did make purchases in Muscat but used Dirhams

I have just looked back through my photos and there appears to be one near the entrance to the Mutrah Souk

Costa Toscana Cruise 2022 (302).JPG

Just in the process of booking this for the Departure on February 24th. Were you given a specific embarkation time or were you able to check in at any time on that first day? Looking at a flight with which we'd be arriving shortly before midnight the day before, so assuming we won't be at the airport hotel before the eary moring and will likely want to sleep in a bit before getting a taxi to the port.   

4 hours ago, Alex71 said:

Just in the process of booking this for the Departure on February 24th. Were you given a specific embarkation time or were you able to check in at any time on that first day? Looking at a flight with which we'd be arriving shortly before midnight the day before, so assuming we won't be at the airport hotel before the eary moring and will likely want to sleep in a bit before getting a taxi to the port.   

We were given a specific embarkation time but did arrive about an hour earlier because of the pre arranged car from the hotel. The cruise terminal was pretty much deserted. We embarked on the 2nd day in Dubai and I think most of those getting on in Dubai had done so the day before. I have just remembered something that was unusual for Costa, we were given our cruise cards in the terminal. 

8 hours ago, Wansbrough said:

We were given a specific embarkation time but did arrive about an hour earlier because of the pre arranged car from the hotel. The cruise terminal was pretty much deserted. We embarked on the 2nd day in Dubai and I think most of those getting on in Dubai had done so the day before. I have just remembered something that was unusual for Costa, we were given our cruise cards in the terminal. 

Thank you ver much! And they let you on an hour earlier without problems? I remember AIDA once made us wait outside the terminal until our exact embarkation time.

Looking at a return flight leaving around 13:00 hrs. Do you think that would be easy enough to reach?

6 hours ago, Alex71 said:

Looking at a return flight leaving around 13:00 hrs. Do you think that would be easy enough to reach?

We were picked up at 8:00am from the cruise terminal for a 12:10pm flight so I would say easily. There were taxis outside the cruise terminal if that is your plan.

4 hours ago, Wansbrough said:

We were picked up at 8:00am from the cruise terminal for a 12:10pm flight so I would say easily. There were taxis outside the cruise terminal if that is your plan.

Perfect, thank you so much for your response. Yes our, disembarkation time in Savona was around 9 am so was hoping Dubai would be the same and we could be on the way to the airport around 9:30 and to then still have roughly three hours there before departure.

On 1/15/2023 at 10:33 AM, Alex71 said:

We are on the cruise departing 3rd February. We were allocated a boarding time of 22.00hrs. I called them to ask if we would be able to drop off our luggage earlier than that as we will be checking out our hotel around mid day. The then asked if I wanted my time changed to the earliest check in time which I was told is 15.00hrs which  I agreed to. 
according to the Costa app the cruise returns to Dubai at 05.00an so should be plenty time to make the flight. We are also flying at 13.35pm. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tan1415 said:

Wow this is a great post as I am planning similar cruise.

how much was the pay restaurants? Could we get a package like on Royal Caribbean?

Sorry but I can't help you with this one, they are not something we show much interest in because my wife is vegan and there is nothing in them she can eat.

And to be honest, the food in the MDR was so good we were more than happy to eat there.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:22 PM, Edinburghgirl1 said:

We are on the cruise departing 3rd February. We were allocated a boarding time of 22.00hrs. I called them to ask if we would be able to drop off our luggage earlier than that as we will be checking out our hotel around mid day. The then asked if I wanted my time changed to the earliest check in time which I was told is 15.00hrs which  I agreed to. 
according to the Costa app the cruise returns to Dubai at 05.00an so should be plenty time to make the flight. We are also flying at 13.35pm. 

Thank you! Glad they were able to somewhat accommodate. 

I had to change my plans as I'll be coming back from a business trip on Thursday. Now getting on in Qatar where I was allocated a boarding time of 15:30.

Anyone else on the Feb 19th departure and interested in sharing a tour to Wadi Shab in Muscat? 

On 1/14/2023 at 1:58 PM, greg2014 said:

I have a question about port of Doha. Had Costa or port organized any bus transfer to city center for passangers self-visiting city (with no excursion) ? Thank you for any help in advance 🙂 

There was at least a free shuttle to outside of Islamic Cultural Center/Souq Waqif.  

Doha also has a brand new metro system. A day pass apparently costs only 9 of the local currency, which is the equivalent of just over 2 EUR or USD. The Uber fare estimator also shows ridiculously low amounts although I'm not sure if this changes when a large ship is in port. We plan on using the metro on the day we have there before embarkation.

Edited by Alex71

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 10:22 PM, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Thanks for the tip. I called Costa too as my given embarkation time was 1.30am on 4th Feb!! I'm arriving into the airport that morning so they have switched me to the 15.00 embarkation time as well. Happy to meet up for a drink on board!

On 12/24/2022 at 2:37 AM, Wansbrough said:

I will be boarding Costa Toscana later today and will be blogging over the coming week if anyone would like to read. 

https://www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk/2022/12/costa-toscana-postcard-1-the-journey-to-dubai/

Wansbroughs-Digital-Postcards-From-Costa-Toscana.jpg.71423a53314ccd58a021115bd841c159.jpg

Hi,

Not sure whether you could help me with my recent post asking for advice on Dubai back on board?

thank you

Edited by Sea38

Once you have checked in and have your sea pass you are free to come and go even if its day 2. We embarked on day 2 and could have gone back ashore but wanted to settle in, explore the ship and get the muster out of the way. If you come out a day early, either stay in Dubai or embark that day so day 2 is free to explore Dubai. As we boarded day 2, we had a day in Dubai at the end of the cruise instead.

Edited by Wansbrough
  • Like 1

Question regarding the port in Muscat: I booked a tour to Wadi Shab with a local company that requires cash payment in the local currency. Have you seen an ATM in port? I wasn't able to find anything online. Or does Costa offer money exchange on board at decent rates?

13 hours ago, Alex71 said:

Question regarding the port in Muscat: I booked a tour to Wadi Shab with a local company that requires cash payment in the local currency. Have you seen an ATM in port? I wasn't able to find anything online. Or does Costa offer money exchange on board at decent rates?

The only ATM I remember seeing was midway along the corniche, I didn't spot one in the port area but then I wasn't really looking for one. Are you not able to get some before you leave or in Dubai?

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wansbrough said:

The only ATM I remember seeing was midway along the corniche, I didn't spot one in the port area but then I wasn't really looking for one. Are you not able to get some before you leave or in Dubai?

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Thank you, yes, I guess I'll have to get some beforehand or I'll have to ask the driver to stop at an ATM. As I won't be back from a business trip in time to board in Dubai, I'll now fly to Qatar and board there. But it's probably better to exchange Euros for the Oman currency before leaving. 

7 hours ago, alpencoolcruiser said:

Hello everyone, We will be boarding the Costa Toscana from Dubai this coming Friday on the 17th of February. Can anyone of you who have already been on this cruise , let me know if there are free shuttles to Dubai city ?  I would like to avoid the taxi if possible.  

None that I am aware of.

2 hours ago, Wansbrough said:

None that I am aware of.

I will be flying to Dubai next month and going straight to the ship.  My flight arrives at 1840.

I was hoping to get Uber to the ship as it seems that Dubai airport uses them.

Did you arrange a private transfer in advance?

Trying to figure out the best way to do this.

1 hour ago, maryann2 said:

I will be flying to Dubai next month and going straight to the ship.  My flight arrives at 1840.

I was hoping to get Uber to the ship as it seems that Dubai airport uses them.

Did you arrange a private transfer in advance?

Trying to figure out the best way to do this.

We just got off the Toscana last Friday. Taxis in Dubai are very cheap so no need to use Uber. Just head for the taxi rank at the airport where there at plenty of taxis waiting just make sure you get a regular taxi and don’t be persuaded to use one of the “VIP” ones which aren’t metered and charge 3 times the price. There are two cruise terminals in Dubai so make sure you ask for the Marina cruise terminal. 

On 1/14/2023 at 11:58 AM, greg2014 said:

I have a question about port of Doha. Had Costa or port organized any bus transfer to city center for passangers self-visiting city (with no excursion) ? Thank you for any help in advance 🙂 

There were shuttle busses at Doha which took you to the souk but there were only 3!!! We waited an hour to get on one. I would recommend just taking a taxi to maximise the short time you are in port here. 

12 hours ago, alpencoolcruiser said:

Hello everyone, We will be boarding the Costa Toscana from Dubai this coming Friday on the 17th of February. Can anyone of you who have already been on this cruise , let me know if there are free shuttles to Dubai city ?  I would like to avoid the taxi if possible.  

Taxis are the only thing that is cheap in Dubai. There were no shuttles provided. 

• Like 1