Live From Discovery New Year's Cruise 12/28 - 1/7/22 10 day Sea of Cortez and Mexican Riviera

iamaqt2

13 hours ago, mjceditor said:

Now the VERY annoying part, our cabin midship has a constant clicking noise. When I see our neighbors on either side of us I will ask them if they hear it also. When we see the cabin steward i will bring it to his attention. I can’t believe that we are the first to hear this noise so I’m thinking it can’t be fixed.

The same exact thing we heard when we were on a couple weeks ago. My husband said it sounded like someone knocking. I thought it sounded like creaking when your house is settling. I asked my sister who was on another floor and she heard it too. It was constant and seemed to be with the swaying or the movement of the ship. Luckily I brought my earplugs. I think it had to do with being a new ship. Maybe it's just settling in.

Just now, iamaqt2 said:

ANNNNNDDD.. now for HUGE PROPS to Princess on service recovery.   Because if I'm going to complain, I'm also going to compliment.  

This is what good, decent people do!  I'm glad your situation seems to be resolving itself.

I always leave good, honest feedback on my post-cruise survey, and try to downplay any negatives (which are rare), presuming they were just "one of those things".  However, there was a little form left in my cabin last night, asking what my first impressions of the cruise are so far.  I hadn't planned on filling it out, but this evening I thought, they asked so they must want to know.  I wrote about how lunch today in the MDR took about 1½ hours, and that it took over ½ hour to get a drink in the Elite & Platinum Lounge, when I had gotten there right when they opened at 4:30. 

I wouldn't normally comment on one incident or the other, but both in one day, coupled with slower than normal dinner services our first 2 nights, prompted me to fill their form out.  I understand staffing issues, and generally don't complain to management, and I hope my comments do some good.

On a good note, the food has been really good, the staff is friendly, and we're meeting some really nice people.

• Like 4

Just now, iamaqt2 said:

ANNNNNDDD.. now for HUGE PROPS to Princess on service recovery.   Because if I'm going to complain, I'm also going to compliment.  

This is what good, decent people do!  I'm glad your situation seems to be resolving itself.

I always leave good, honest feedback on my post-cruise survey, and try to downplay any negatives (which are rare), presuming they were just "one of those things".  However, there was a little form left in my cabin last night, asking what my first impressions of the cruise are so far.  I hadn't planned on filling it out, but this evening I thought, they asked so they must want to know.  I wrote about how lunch today in the MDR took about 1½ hours, and that it took over ½ hour to get a drink in the Elite & Platinum Lounge, when I had gotten there right when they opened at 4:30. 

I wouldn't normally comment on one incident or the other, but both in one day, coupled with slower than normal dinner services our first 2 nights, prompted me to fill their form out.  I understand staffing issues, and generally don't complain to management, and I hope my comments do some good.

On a good note, the food has been really good, the staff is friendly, and we're meeting some really nice people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Travlin grrl said:

The same exact thing we heard when we were on a couple weeks ago. My husband said it sounded like someone knocking. I thought it sounded like creaking when your house is settling. I asked my sister who was on another floor and she heard it too. It was constant and seemed to be with the swaying or the movement of the ship. Luckily I brought my earplugs. I think it had to do with being a new ship. Maybe it's just settling in.

That’s exactly the sounds we WERE hearing. Our cabin attendant showed us another area down the hallway making the same noise. He explained that it’s the movement of the ship (swaying) and will go away as we get to calmer seas. The seas have been pretty calm but he was right. Last night NO noise! 

A glorious sunrise!  I just realized I'm in your shot- if you zoom in on the bridge, you can see me standing out on my deck appreciating the view.  

I'm interested to know how you like that angled balcony?  What category stateroom is it?

Edited by seagunthera

10 minutes ago, seagunthera said:

A glorious sunrise!  I just realized I'm in your shot- if you zoom in on the bridge, you can see me standing out on my deck appreciating the view.  

I'm interested to know how you like that angled balcony?  What category stateroom is it?

We like it, not much wind and the extra space is nice. Cabin is MA Mini Suite.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, nini said:

@iamaqt2 I am enjoying your comments with your highs and lows! I would love to know details on how you indulged you alcoholic beverage package?

I started off at Good Spirits with a couple of Sandia en Fuegos.. my absolute favorite beverage on the ship.  Then I ordered a double pour of the Chalk Hills Suavignon Blanc with dinner. I'll gladly pay the extra few dollars for a better wine.  Then had a couple of 24K Margaritas in the Vista Lounge. Grabbed a glass of prosecco while walking past the Crown Grill bar.  Headed to Take 5 and asked the server what they'd recommend.  She said the Ella Fitzgerald martini was popular.  I was feeling no pain so said sure, I'll try it.  Absolutely hated it.. it was like drinking perfume in a glass.  Next round got a dirty martini with extra olives. Now after this, I get a little fuzzy.. I think I got one last drink, but for the life of me can't remember what it was.  If I was smart it was a glass of water.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, julie3fan said:

My experience mirrors yours exactly.  Service has been terribly slow everywhere on the ship. The worst part is seeing how hard they're working just trying to keep up. This ship is the most crowded I've ever been on and the lack of staffing shows. I'm not in a hurry to be anywhere so it hasn't really impacted us.  Sometimes I'll order 2 drinks at once sometimes just to not have to bother anyone again. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

I started off at Good Spirits with a couple of Sandia en Fuegos.. my absolute favorite beverage on the ship.  Then I ordered a double pour of the Chalk Hills Suavignon Blanc with dinner. I'll gladly pay the extra few dollars for a better wine.  Then had a couple of 24K Margaritas in the Vista Lounge. Grabbed a glass of prosecco while walking past the Crown Grill bar.  Headed to Take 5 and asked the server what they'd recommend.  She said the Ella Fitzgerald martini was popular.  I was feeling no pain so said sure, I'll try it.  Absolutely hated it.. it was like drinking perfume in a glass.  Next round got a dirty martini with extra olives. Now after this, I get a little fuzzy.. I think I got one last drink, but for the life of me can't remember what it was.  If I was smart it was a glass of water.

LOL! Thanks for the sharing!

I also will order two of something so there is no waiting for the second glass of wine. I began doing this on the Emerald and Grand because the wine pours are smaller than before Covid.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that sunrise photo! Here is the next installment of my photos and commentary from Thursday, December 29, 2022. Again, just too many photos and commentary to post them all here.

http://www.cruiserookies.com/photos/2022/12/2022l29a/

Below is a photo of sunset yesterday taken from my balcony.

Transformed_20221229_162841.jpg

• Like 5

Just to comment on the cabin creaking.  We are just off the Discovery on Wednesday and stayed in E703.  There was definite cabin creaking, which got worse or better depending on the sea state.  It didn't really bother me, but I hadn't experienced this on any other ship.

Regarding service, I was told by two dining servers we had 4300 passengers on our cruise.  Despite the large number I thought our service was pretty decent.  Some sore spots were food delivery to our cabin.  Delivery times for pizza and hot tea ran about 45 minutes for each.

The MDR food was generally good until the last night, when the DW received raw/undercooked scallops.  I received the same dish and it was fine.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, azddave said:

Just to comment on the cabin creaking.  We are just off the Discovery on Wednesday and stayed in E703.  There was definite cabin creaking, which got worse or better depending on the sea state.  It didn't really bother me, but I hadn't experienced this on any other ship.

Regarding service, I was told by two dining servers we had 4300 passengers on our cruise.  Despite the large number I thought our service was pretty decent.  Some sore spots were food delivery to our cabin.  Delivery times for pizza and hot tea ran about 45 minutes for each.

The MDR food was generally good until the last night, when the DW received raw/undercooked scallops.  I received the same dish and it was fine.  

I have run into creaking on various ships, and on various lines.  Not surprising with ship movement that some things may creak or knock.  

Thanks for sharing! I've had the 2014 Tensley Syrah and rated it as Very Good to Excellent. I don't think I've had Ehret but I've had a number of other bold and intense red wines from Knights Valley that I've rated very highly. I don't think I've had either of the other two, but they look like great wines.  I sure wish they had not put The Salty Dog Gastropub in place of Vines Wine Bar. I've been searching the various bars to find which, if any of them, have some well structured bold red wines by the glass. I've found that a lot of them have Duckhorn Paraduxx by the glass even though it is not on their wine list by the glass. The Take Five Jazz Lounge has it. A number of bars also have the Langmell Valley Floor Shiraz, Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon, and Grigich Hills Merlot by the glass even though most of them list it as only by the bottle on their wine menus.

• Like 2

Day 2 woke up very early having gone to bed so early. The planners looked like some promising entertainment for the day.

20221229_065553.thumb.jpg.98c2c6fb8082dad6f523fa1eba4b999b.jpg

20221229_065634.thumb.jpg.f891c25337d1c6d257840bb32b9595d1.jpg

Decided to have an early breakfast in the MDR.

Got there just before opening and about 20 other people were already lined up.

Service was super friendly and fast. Which was a nice surprise.  But there were very few people to attend to at 7 am.

Had the fruit plate which was very good and the Salmon lox bagel with cream cheese which is my MDR breakfast go to.  Always have to order extra cream cheese.

Hubs had a ham and cheese omelet and 2 hash brown triangles.  The hash browns were hard as a rock and inedible.   I always forget they're only good from the buffet.

20221229_071552.thumb.jpg.a3e43c663b3bf5e1c3c9d48e46185f7f.jpg

• Like 3