What part of an insurance covers you if you are quarantined?

KyleClark

My husband and I tested positive for COVID on our cruise from last September, He tested positive 3 days in, I tested positive on day 6. 

FOR CRUISE FARE:

We contacted the cruise line, submitted detailed documentation, including the detailed medical form authorized by the ship's medical team and we both received FCC for 90% of the original fares paid.
We received the credits within 12 hours of submitting documentation.

AIRLINE (IF APPLICABLE):
We decided to return earlier than scheduled and paid hefty change fees. Post trip, we again submitted documentation and received full reimbursement from the insurance provider.

MEDICATION RECEIVED:

If you receive medication onboard, your medical provider may or may not reimburse. Our cruise line confirmed they would reimburse if our health care provider would not, but we have Kaiser, Medicare and they also reimbursed in full.

Best advice is to retain detailed records of EVERYTHING and when submitting claims, include a cover letter listing in detail the documents being submitted. This will assist the person viewing your claim to hopefully make a quick decision.

5 hours ago, JHLH821 said:

My husband and I tested positive for COVID on our cruise from last September, He tested positive 3 days in, I tested positive on day 6. 

FOR CRUISE FARE:

We contacted the cruise line, submitted detailed documentation, including the detailed medical form authorized by the ship's medical team and we both received FCC for 90% of the original fares paid.
We received the credits within 12 hours of submitting documentation.

AIRLINE (IF APPLICABLE):
We decided to return earlier than scheduled and paid hefty change fees. Post trip, we again submitted documentation and received full reimbursement from the insurance provider.

MEDICATION RECEIVED:

If you receive medication onboard, your medical provider may or may not reimburse. Our cruise line confirmed they would reimburse if our health care provider would not, but we have Kaiser, Medicare and they also reimbursed in full.

Best advice is to retain detailed records of EVERYTHING and when submitting claims, include a cover letter listing in detail the documents being submitted. This will assist the person viewing your claim to hopefully make a quick decision.

So, you had insurance purchased from the cruise line or a trip insurance from a 3rd party?

22 minutes ago, KyleClark said:

So, you had insurance purchased from the cruise line or a trip insurance from a 3rd party?

3rd party- AMEX Silver Plan.  We purchased the same policy for our next October cruise but for our 2024 trip, just booked we used TravelGuard. The only reason for the change is that we wanted a more customizable policy- did comparison shopping at: TravelInsurance.com. TravelGuard also has a website. We changed our trip dates and it is very easy to modify a purchased policy. 

• 2 weeks later...

The quick answer to the OP's question is that it depends on the policy.  Many policies would cover nothing since there is no financial loss.  Some cruise lines still have various types of COVID guarantees although many of those provisions are expiring.  An example would be the current guarantee on HAL which would provide future cruise credits for each day in quarantine.

Consider that there are many diseases (not just COVID) that can result in one being quarantined in a cabin.  Influenza could actually result in a longer quarantine than COVID.  Norovirus would also get you quarantined, sometimes for several days.  

Hank