Question for anyone who has done an Athens extension with Viking...

OnTheJourney

Hi,

I have a post-extension booked for Athens. The first day description says, 'Head to the Acropolis to view the Parthenon (etc.) before continuing to the new Acropolis Museum. Then enjoy a lunch on your own and stroll around the Plaka district before transferring to your hotel'. Now, besides that, there is a free day in Athens. For that, I booked an all-day Athens tour with a private guide. It sounds great, but their tour does not include admission costs for the Acropolis and Museum. I'm told that the total time spent at both (with a guide) is about 3 hours. Not having any clue how in depth the Viking tour will be (I assume pretty much a half day based on the description), I'm not sure how much more time we'd need. Like any museum, one can spend a great deal or a minimal amount of time. Typically, at any museum, we're there much longer than, for example, the average trip advisor suggested time. Flip side of the coin, of course, is that since I already paid for admission through the Viking extension, it'd wind up like paying twice for those sites. The Viator agent indicated that the itinerary of the tour is flexible,  "so there are other sites you could visit instead of the Acropolis & Acropolis Museum. For example the National Archaeological Museum, Ancient Agora and the Plaka District." She said to let them know at least the day before if I want them to rearrange the day's schedule. 

Any thoughts on either how extensive (or not) Viking's tour of the Acropolis and Museum are, plus any thoughts in general on how much time should be allotted (plus any additional advice) would be much appreciated. In my reply to Viator I told them that I probably can't make the decision till after we do the first day with Viking. I know  from previous extensions it's usually not real in-depth sightseeing between disembarkation and transfer to the hotel, so if it'd be worth it to simply keep the Viator as is, that's fine. The beginning of their tour refers to 90 minutes visiting the Acropolis "and it's associated temples" including the Parthenon, Temple of Nike and Erechtheion, and also stopping at Herodes Atticus Theatre, followed by the Museum (allowing 1 hour). Then, the rest of the day continues on to several different places, lunch at Cape Sounion, and ending the day at the Temple of Poseidon. 

Thanks for any suggestions....

We did not do the extension, have visited Athens many times.

Based on your commnets about time spent in museums I think I would stick with a private tour where you have control over your own timings.

Have a great trip.

A picture from the museum in Delos of the lions and one from Haifa 

DSCF2841.JPG

DSCF2972.JPG

3 minutes ago, Haworth said:

I think I would stick with a private tour where you have control over your own timings.

I tend to agree. I've never gotten out of a museum even close to a 'minimal suggested time' to allow for a visit. 

4 minutes ago, Haworth said:

Have a great trip.

Hope so. It'll be a quite a contrast from having to do a daily PCR test for the Chairman's cruise to not even needing a pre-embarkation covid test. Not sure that's the best decision and surprised that Viking did such an about-face on their protocols.  I think we'll test at home a few days or so before leaving. With numbers ticking up again, we'll probably play it pretty safe, i.e. frequently masked in larger public settings, until the cruise. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 11:43 AM, Haworth said:

We did not do the extension,

Did you do the Dead Sea float? It's listed as the last part of the Masada excursion.  If you went in the water, any advice or suggestions? Been reading some things about it. It appears that some precautions need to be observed. Not sure I want to go without shaving for a few days! It's suggested to do so. 

Thanks...

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Did you do the Dead Sea float? It's listed as the last part of the Masada excursion.  If you went in the water, any advice or suggestions? Been reading some things about it. It appears that some precautions need to be observed. Not sure I want to go without shaving for a few days! It's suggested to do so. 

Thanks...

You may want to ask for more advice for this specific question on an israel excursion post BUT.. we did go to the dead sea with our private guide and went in the water.  I don't remember not shaving haha but I also don't remember having any issues.  We did bring old bathing suits and old reef runners and then tossed them out after the swim.  They tend to stink in my opinion.  I thought it was a must see and do.