Booking future cruises on board. Yes/no?

raphael360

I booked 3 cabins onboard for a future cruise. Prices were exactly the same as online, but we did get the onboard offer of $300 off and $600 onboard credit (“sailor loot”) per cabin. On top of that, we got an additional $200 in onboard credit for those of us who are in the loyalty program AND they linked our cabins for the $50 each “sail with friends” credit.  The rep onboard also offered the additional 10% off “pay in full” discount if we made full payment. Just know that the onboard offer is only good for sea terrace and above cabin categories. It does not include the “lock it in rate” - which can be a better deal for some that are sailing on a close-in date.  We booked before the current bar tab promo, however our sailing’s price has increased significantly since we booked - so I will not be seeking a match to that offer. 

Hope that helps!

Yes that really helps!
I want to take advantage of the current year end online specials but because I haven’t been on Virgin yet I really want to test drive it. Im so over all the other traditional cruise products and am hoping Virgin is as different as it sounds. 

thanks again 

2 hours ago, raphael360 said:

Has anyone booked future cruises ‘on board’ and if so did you get better deals than the specials offered online?

As others noted, pricing is exactly the same as online, but you do get good OBC offer and a discounted deposit. Right now through January 31 they are running one of the best deals they've had with the 60% off second sailor and $300 Bar Tab under 7 days and $600 Bar Tab for over 7 day sailings. 

VV is definitely different, especially the food and entertainment. I have a multi-part vlog on YouTube that includes a cabin tour (Cheeky Corner Suite), Food Tour, overall review and more from our Scarlet Lady cruise this past July. 

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8wFV2tZMxXq3Lbmd6VbXJdMNQEzc8SqH

The vlog might be helpful for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raphael360 said:

Has anyone booked future cruises ‘on board’ and if so did you get better deals than the specials offered online?

if your enjoying the voyage, and you want to go again on another, we found that the buy on board offers worked out great. That said, as others have commented, if your a late buyer or spur of the moment type for a booking, then it may not work out better than the last minute offers they add. 

You can combine offers generally with virgin as well. For example, the buy on board discount, the 10% when you buy more than 180 days out, and another 10% off if you pay in full at time of booking. 

every penny helps. 

The rebooking on board layers on top of any other shoreside deal.  For example, we got the $300 off+ $600 loot.  For another sailing we got $$300 off $800 in Loot as they were doing a special deal which we qualified for.  We also did the 10% off for PIF.

They do change the onboard offers.  At one point it was $300 off + $300 loot in addition to the current offer.  But yes, since it layers on top of any other (or most other) offers, it is always a good deal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

it depends, and people have gotten caught off-guard by the restrictions and blamed virgin for "running a scam" (aka these people never read the terms/conditions of the offer or any promotion!)

if you sail in a sea terrace or above, yes, the onboard offer is absolutely worth it.  i believe it's combinable with everything except for an access key (usually free or heavily discounted voyages).  if you have a TA that you use, i believe VV can either assign it to them or you can contact your TA within a week of booking so they can handle whatever for you.

if you do lock-it-in/guaranty bookings or sail at the ltd view sea terrace category or below, you can't use it.

echo the current promotion being the best - in addition to the $600 bar tab i have on my january valiant cruise, i also have $1k in sailor loot from the red hot booking bonus (their pre-loyalty program offer) + the onboard offer.

• Like 1

I was pretty happy with the $300 down and $300 loot offer on board, and purchased 2. Shortly after they introduced the additional $300 in loot and a $600 bar tab. Felt it was time we booked a Med cruise and $1,200 is a good deal of extra expenses we don’t have to budget for. Very happy they upped the offer and will likely purchase more. 

• Like 2