Sea view in February

FOXYDEBBY

I will be doing a Brazil cruise for 6 night the end of February on the Seaview. I am going to assume it is similar to Seashore (which I have been on). Has anyone been on the ship? I am assuming there will be little English spoken so the ship is a going to be like a second exotic vacation for me. I love new experiences and am very careful when it comes to tourism. We are flying in and out of Rio. I found a hotel near the cruise port upon arrival. Where would be a nice place to stay prior to leaving? We are going to Christ the Reedemer. Any other “must see” places? Thanks.

On 12/30/2022 at 3:51 AM, FOXYDEBBY said:

I will be doing a Brazil cruise for 6 night the end of February on the Seaview. I am going to assume it is similar to Seashore (which I have been on). Has anyone been on the ship? I am assuming there will be little English spoken so the ship is a going to be like a second exotic vacation for me. I love new experiences and am very careful when it comes to tourism. We are flying in and out of Rio. I found a hotel near the cruise port upon arrival. Where would be a nice place to stay prior to leaving? We are going to Christ the Reedemer. Any other “must see” places? Thanks.

We'll be on the Seaview February 5-11, also a 6-night cruise from Rio. Cruised MSC once in the past, on the Meraviglia. 

You are correct that most passengers will be Brazilian and Portuguese-speaking. There may be others from various countries also on the ship, but majority will be Brazilian. There is also a law, from what I've read, requiring that a majority percentage of the staff and crew must be of Brazilian background on all Brazil-based cruises. However, staff and crew will understand and speak English. 

We are staying at the Miramar Hotel by Windsor in Copacabana beach prior to our cruise. It's a gorgeous highly-rated 5-star hotel, a little pricey (roughly $150 per night for the basic rooms) but right on the ocean and in a safer area of Rio. Yes, as far as taking precaution, be very careful while touring around Rio. Pickpocketing, robbery, and violence are commonplace occurrences there and the police do next to nothing. Never wear flashy jewelry nor have your smartphone in your hand as you walk around, you will be targeted if these criminals see you are carrying anything of value. Also be aware of your surroundings and keep within the touristy areas of Rio; wandering off into streets near the favelas can be dangerous even during the day. 

From what I have seen, Rio is very beautiful and there is a lot to see and do. My recommendation is to visit Sugarloaf mountain, the Tijuca rainforest, Ipanema beach, and (if you have time) the imperial city of Petropolis. 

• Thanks 1