Refundable OBC. How is it paid?

SleeStack1

I read that you need to request it 1 day before disembarking.

It it paid in cash?  By check?  Return to original payment method?

I'm considering using an Amex $350 off $1000 offer to buy OBC and then recover most of that at the end of the cruise.

It is paid out in cash. In the past they have always sent a check if you left the ship with unused OBC, but on my October cruise on Prima, I was pulled out of line at the gangway with a refund due me. There was a cashier stationed at the gangway, and fortunately there was no line. I never bought the cruise next certificates I had planned on buying, so I had over $1,000 coming back to me. It really cleaned the guy's cash drawer out. Collect your cash the day before arrival.

Edited by vince_g

51 minutes ago, shof515 said:

cash

you do not need to request it. your onboard account will be flagged and security will not allow you off the ship. security will then tell you to go guest services to get the money

But better to just go to the onboard credit desk on the last day to collect it during their posted open hours.

Nobody wants to be flagged 🏴‍☠️🤪

43 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Don't you think they had more cash available?

10 minutes ago, vince_g said:

Of course, silly. Just saying they don't bring a large till with them.

They didn't have very much left after five reimbursements after opening the on board credit desk last sea day morning on getaway. And it took about (I'm NOT exaggerating) 45 minutes for them to get more cash for me...while I had to wait there because they had posted the refund to my account before actually counting the cash on hand and wouldn't let me go. Whatever the process to get more cash is much be a lot of checks and balances...or someone of authority was unavailable. They never did explain. (Or even a give a rats ass about it really, tbh...)

I only had refund over 1k because of GSC was cancelled and I had a villa refund in addition to a small unused portion of other obc

Point is, let them know the day before that you will be getting a large sum back because they didn't bring much down even though that was the purpose for them opening the last morning.

Edited by cruiseinfoseeker

Thanks for the info everyone!  I went ahead and bought the OBC.

Another thing I'd like to confirm...

I read elsewhere that non-ref OBC is used first (on eligible purchases of course) before refundable OBC is debited.  Is this true?

We have $250 of non-ref OBC I want to make sure doesn't go to waste.