A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

They keep a bottle in Kaiseki for lunch so Rojaan can partake. The benefits of eating there nearly every lunch. They also kept a bottle of the dry sake I like when it was obvious that it would run out. So I didn’t miss a day before it was restocked in Livorno.

Helped that the South African waiter is one of our favourites that we have cruised with before. She is delightful.

Not Myrtle by any chance?

• Like 1

The 8th Teller of Tales was SOPHY ROBERTS.

sophy.JPG.dfd7ccdfe75a364c93a063a467d9e330.JPG

Her bio - Sophy Roberts is an award-winning writer based in Dorset, England. She holds two degrees from Oxford University, and an MSc in Journalism from Columbia University. She has worked as Editor-at-Large of Condé Nast Traveler, Travel Editor at The Economist 1843, and Travel Editor at Departures magazine. She now writes across a wide range of international titles, including The Financial Times and The Wall Street Journal, focusing on remote travel, conservation, philanthropy, and culture. Her forthcoming book, The Lost Pianos of Siberia, will be published in multiple languages in 2020.

She wrote a short story titled The Widower's Tale.  Here is an excerpt.....

"Now Ella has gone.

It’s been thirty-six years, and I’m still living away from the family home
I haven’t even tried to sell. For me, these cruises are just the ticket for
pretending reality doesn’t exist. When I’m on them for six months
straight, I start to think my country is the ship. It’s a way of surviving,
I suppose, or maybe I’m just losing my grip, as Kerrymen say a man does
when he sees a selkie. They say madness comes to him and maybe they
are right. A selkie is like an Irish mermaid; they can change from seal to
human form. They say a selkie messes with a man’s thinking, that with
each tide he’ll take his boat farther and farther from harbour in the hope 
he’ll discover her again. Eventually, they tell you, the man who has
seen a selkie never returns to land. They say there’s no going back, that
he never finds peace on the open water or among the whales turning
their pewter backs to the rain."

3 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Not Myrtle by any chance?

Nicola is her name.

But the Tiki didn't arrive in Citavecchia yesterday. Fortunately several acceptable alternatives.

Assured there is enough of my Sake to last another month.

• Like 1

Update  - Travel Insurance......We are requesting another quote for Emergency Medical and for Non-Medical All Inclusive travel insurance.   Our first quote in October 2022 was valid for 3 months.  That quote request was in order to give us a rough estimate of the additional funds required for these cruises.  This new quote should take us into the time when we would be making our final payments. I have requested that two quotes be prepared.....one quote for the 160 days (both cruises combined) and an additional quote for the two cruises separately.   One for the Holiday cruise and one for the World Cruise.  I'm not sure if it will make any difference in the price.  I'm just curious to see if in fact it would.

The 9th and last Teller of Tales was TAHIR SHAH.

Tahir.JPG.fd8bdea55f5a05a626ee0f64f2985e98.JPG

His bio - Tahir Shah is best known for his unusual expeditions. A British author based in Morocco, he has searched the Upper Amazon for a former head-shrinking tribe; studied magic with Indian Godmen; and combed Ethiopia for the fabled gold mines of King Solomon. Shah has authored 25 books, as well as critically acclaimed novels which have been translated into 30 languages. He also makes documentary films, which are aired on National Geographical Television and The History Channel. Shah lives at Dar Khalifa, a mansion set in a Casablanca shantytown. He’s married to Rachana Shah and has two children.

He wrote a short story entitled The Magic of Agatha C.
Here is an excerpt.....

"Helen Rathbone lay outstretched on a lounge chair
at the far end of the sun deck, her floral print dress
tinged gold in the syrupy light of late afternoon.
Poised on her lap was Agatha Christie’s classic, Death
On The Nile, a drained glass of Pimms punch set on a
low table beside the chair. The bow of Silver Whisper
sliced fast through waves the hue of crushed lapis
lazuli, the decks rinsed in golden sunlight. Lisbon was
now far behind, the northern shores of the Iberian
Peninsula beckoning from beyond the next horizon. 

Drowsily, Helen turned onto her side and, through
squinted eyes, made out a well-dressed gentleman
easing himself onto the lounge chair opposite her
own. His long aristocratic face was bearded, coalblack
eyes ringed with a sense of gravity – as though
he carried with him the weight of the world. Stepping
forward, a steward served the stranger a gin martini,
the glass veiled in condensation.

Unable to keep her eyes open, Helen drifted
into sleep.

As a cloud passed across the setting sun, a gently
accented voice broke the silence.

“Excuse me, Mademoiselle.”

Waking with a start, Helen looked up, befuddled
and dazed.

“Your book, Miss… it fell.”

Sitting up, she found the gentleman standing
close, the hardback thriller held towards her at arm’s
length.

“Oh… um… thank you.”

The stranger smiled.

..........“Were you to accept an invitation to dine with
me this evening,” he said, “I could not promise you
excitement worthy of Agatha C., but I could promise
you lively conversation.”

“Oh, um… I don’t know what to say.”

“Then please say nothing, but meet me in the
bar at eight.”

Kissing the back of her hand a second time, the
gentleman excused himself and slipped away. Helen
watched him walk the length of the deck through
zebra shadows, past the life-rings – each one bearing
the name of the vessel. The epitome of good manners,
he was the kind of gentleman found in romance
novels but not in the real world."

I've started thinking about the luggage issue for these cruises.  Normally we bring 2 pieces of carry on each and one checked bag.  The carry on bags that we have used in the past were a Briggs & Riley small suitcase...

Capture.JPG.20f6634de8339674b30ae98ad91733bd.JPG

A Briggs & Riley Cabin bag....

Capture2.JPG.870a3a7cecbc1439578633785b017ee7.JPG

An American Tourister tote (old as the hills) that is comparable to this...

Capture3.JPG.6d5cc9a16427a4fa2709cf58651c8e15.JPG

And a Silversea backpack like this...

m_5d52061b9d3b780bf71f5e75.jpg.9e05ad461165ce93a01dde22eaa285e5.jpg

There will be two overnight events that will involve flights. We need to consider how to pack for these.  One flight will be a charter flight.  I'm thinking that we will need to bring 2 of the small cabin size suitcases with us.  We may need to check an additional piece of luggage for this trip.  We intend to ship 4 pieces ahead.  Planning continues.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

If shipping ahead, might as well opt for a luxurious trunk that transforms into a lovely piece of furniture for your suite.

C160D7E6-2A9F-4E22-B25F-61634F5E0B79.webp

7BBD5D6E-253F-40FB-BB15-48B3653DE7B1.webp

Awesome!  Unfortunately,  we are allowed 2 pieces each with a weight limit of 50 lbs each.  I do love your idea though!

4 hours ago, mysty said:

Awesome!  Unfortunately,  we are allowed 2 pieces each with a weight limit of 50 lbs each.  I do love your idea though!

Netjets is the way to go.I don't ever think about over packing now and what my wife takes is fine and not stressful at all.😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Netjets is the way to go.I don't ever think about over packing now and what my wife takes is fine and not stressful at all.😁

Sounds great!  Our ship ahead is included for the World Cruise.   Usually with FedEx.  We'll see how this plays out! 😁

We would be in Auckland on February 10th and 11th.  We have an excursion booked (AUCKLAND'S WINE COUNTRY) for February 11th.  We are planning to have a leisurely day on the 10th meandering around the city with a lunch.  The last time we were here we had a lovely lunch at Harbourside Ocean Bar Grill (https://www.harbourside.co/ ).  We are planning to try a new place this time.

The Shucker Brothers

https://www.shuckerbrothers.co.nz/

The menu - https://www.shuckerbrothers.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/SB-Summer-Menu-2022.pdf

The reviews - reviews.JPG.6174829eb3015f9f4edb99445021f4d2.JPG

It looks to be about a 5 minute walk from Princes Wharf.

auckland.JPG.02a79333ed8d852e7f3e034bb82e82a2.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mysty said:

We would be in Auckland on February 10th and 11th.  We have an excursion booked (AUCKLAND'S WINE COUNTRY) for February 11th.  We are planning to have a leisurely day on the 10th meandering around the city with a lunch.  The last time we were here we had a lovely lunch at Harbourside Ocean Bar Grill (https://www.harbourside.co/ ).  We are planning to try a new place this time.

Have a look at Ahi.  Welcome to Our Home • Ahi. Restaurant Auckland (ahirestaurant.co.nz) We had lunch there on our day in Auckland off the current WC. We thought it was sensational and a reason in itself to visit Auckland. Just across the road from the Terminal. Will return.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Have a look at Ahi.  Welcome to Our Home • Ahi. Restaurant Auckland (ahirestaurant.co.nz) We had lunch there on our day in Auckland off the current WC. We thought it was sensational and a reason in itself to visit Auckland. Just across the road from the Terminal. Will return.

Thank you Turtle!  The menu looks amazing!  

https://ahirestaurant.co.nz/menu/

We would be in Honolulu January 21st and 22nd.  We have an excursion booked for January 22.  We visited Honolulu in 1995 before moving on the Kauai and the Big Island.  I think this time we might explore the Aloha Tower.  Cruise ships dock right next to the Aloha Tower in the center of Honolulu.

The Aloha Tower is a retired lighthouse that is considered one of the landmarks of the state of Hawaii in the United States. Opened on September 11, 1926, at a then astronomical cost of $160,000, the Aloha Tower is located at Pier 9 of Honolulu Harbor.

Aloha Tower Marketplace is a conveniently located waterfront attraction at the historic Honolulu Harbor. Just 15 minutes from Daniel K. Inouye International Airport , and 10 minutes from the World famous Waikiki Beach, it's an easy drive over, ride the red line trolley or the City Bus. Enjoy unique and captivating shops, waterfront restaurants, and a "melting pot" of daily music and entertainment. Discover Hawaii's premier getaway for dining, shopping, and just plain having fun.

On the top floor, the observation deck reveals a breathtaking view of Honolulu Harbor. It's open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily and admission is free.  COVID-19 UPDATE: The observation deck is currently closed.

DJI_01510-6d64cb5e5056a36_6d64ce18-5056-a36f-23b9a7bdff8c6825.jpg.527750ae372ef237bced648aa26a7daa.jpg

For nearly 100 years, Aloha Tower has welcomed visitors to O‘ahu, from early days when ocean travel was the only way to visit Hawaiʻi to today when all cruise ships to this island arrive near its port. “Steamer Days” or “Boat Days” at Aloha Tower celebrated the arrival of ships into Honolulu Harbor, providing entertainment by the Royal Hawaiian Band, hula dancers and lei makers to arriving passengers and the crowds welcoming them, a tradition that lasted until the arrival of jet planes in the 1950s. The United States Navy controlled Aloha Tower after the attack on Pearl Harbor where it served as the Pacific control center for American military until 1947 when it was returned to the state.

https://alohatower.com/

• Like 1

Atlas Obscura also has a section providing interesting places to dine around the world.  I found this place in Singapore.  Many folks may already know about it.

Hawker Chan Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle

TO EAT A MICHELIN-STARRED MEAL in Singapore, one of the most expensive places in the world, you’ll usually need a reservation and a week’s pay. For Chan Hon Meng’s soya sauce chicken rice, you’ll need $3. Do expect to stand in line for an hour or two, though.

The Malaysian-born chef dropped out of school at 15 to help his parents on their pig, duck, and vegetable farm. He decided he wanted to work in the kitchen in his 20s, and began training in Hong Kong. The techniques and recipes he learned there became the cornerstone of the food-court stall he opened with his wife, Irene, in Singapore in 2009.

Every day, he makes his secret Cantonese-style, soya sauce–based marinade from scratch (without divulging all of its ingredients, he concedes to adding Chinese angelica roots, cloves, coriander, and star anise). He marinates 180 chickens overnight before braising and hanging them in his stall-front before service opens. The accompanying rice is fried in chicken fat and boiled in chicken stock. While he sells char siew noodles, pork rib, and hor fun noodles, the chicken is his stall’s major draw.

11 minutes by car from the terminal.

singapore.JPG.cb28808e948f5133eca26fcb8fb8792a.JPG

39 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Having eaten at Hawker Chan's I didn't think it worth waiting in line for an hour. Nice food but.

The waiting in line thing is definitely a turn off!  The idea is intriguing though.   😁  It would be our first experience dining at a Michelin star restaurant/eatery. 

• Like 1