A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

4 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I think we could have a lot of fun on the streets!

Be careful what you wish for. We have walked the streets, so to speak, with Mysty and Myster.

OK, just kidding, they were very well-behaved! And it was a pleasure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Be careful what you wish for. We have walked the streets, so to speak, with Mysty and Myster.

OK, just kidding, they were very well-behaved! And it was a pleasure.

Oh,  you sweet-tongued devil JP! 😁  And the absolute pleasure was ours! 🥰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm posting snippets of the contributions of the Tellers of Tales from 2019 in order to provide some of the various impressions from that cruise and what the individual take-aways were.

SAROO BRIERLEY was the second Teller of Tales.

Capture.JPG.90d67b46e336d617cb72829a3bbefd0f.JPG

His bio - A born storyteller, Saroo Brierley’s extraordinary childhood experience became a Hollywood blockbuster in 2016. Born in 1981 in rural India, Saroo was separated from his brother at a railway station at the age of five. He boarded a train, travelling 1,000 miles to Kolkata. Unable to speak Bengali and unaware of his home town’s name, he was lost. He was eventually adopted by Australians, Sue and John Brierley. 25 years on, using Google Earth, he returned to India to find his birth mother. He has written a book on his experience, A Long Way Home. The film, Lion, was nominated for six Oscars.

This is what this Teller of Tales contributed ......

"All in all it was a journey never to be forgotten. When I stepped off the ship in Sydney I spent several days there before going on to Melbourne for speaking engagements and then back on the road. The dust still hasn’t settled and I’m on the go all the time. But I’m still thinking about the times on board. I hope I’ll end up doing something like that again. The beauty of travel is never knowing what’s around the corner. Never knowing who you are going to meet – and what you’re going to experience. And a long journey stays with you forever. It’s something that only a minority get to do. There are not a lot of people out there who will have this opportunity. And like I said, I believe you
should always take an opportunity. I believe in positivity. You have to be positive in your life.
So until we meet again, happy sailing. Namaste."

• Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 10:12 PM, highplanesdrifters said:

Well that was perfect timing! We disembark Broome May 31 and catch a flight to Melbourne early afternoon and I was just trying to figure out what to do.  The Devine Miss M does it again. Although not Paspaley, there are some excellent pearl farms there.

I did a day trip to Cygnet Pearls, but that is a very long way out of town.  It included a boat ride over a “sort of” 6B15D305-7F3E-4374-A78E-16E1FA31533B.thumb.jpeg.719d618ef45e9aeadb4f9dc9db4ea59f.jpeghorizontal falls.  Well, a few whirlpools and a lot of fun!  I bought the pearl that came out of the oyster our boat skipper pulled out of the sea.  It is a lovely gold coloured pearl.  So pearl farm tours can be interesting.

Are you really flying home on disembarkation day?  I usually do, but my P2P includes a night at a hotel.  Not sure where yet.  I would prefer next to Matso Brewery rather than Cable Beach.

9E142538-9925-4384-9CD2-AFF2D0BB5514.thumb.jpeg.b3d848624b003cc43ce49a0dbb47a8eb.jpegF66A2446-3B95-4F8F-97EB-8FC97F5B66AC.thumb.jpeg.34bddb9611d496f0accc4287a9394291.jpeg

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I did a day trip to Cygnet Pearls, but that is a very long way out of town.  It included a boat ride over a “sort of” 6B15D305-7F3E-4374-A78E-16E1FA31533B.thumb.jpeg.719d618ef45e9aeadb4f9dc9db4ea59f.jpeghorizontal falls.  Well, a few whirlpools and a lot of fun!  I bought the pearl that came out of the oyster our boat skipper pulled out of the sea.  It is a lovely gold coloured pearl.  So pearl farm tours can be interesting.

Are you really flying home on disembarkation day?  I usually do, but my P2P includes a night at a hotel.  Not sure where yet.  I would prefer next to Matso Brewery rather than Cable Beach.

9E142538-9925-4384-9CD2-AFF2D0BB5514.thumb.jpeg.b3d848624b003cc43ce49a0dbb47a8eb.jpegF66A2446-3B95-4F8F-97EB-8FC97F5B66AC.thumb.jpeg.34bddb9611d496f0accc4287a9394291.jpeg

Thank you for your input Port!  Gorgeous photos!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Thank you for your input Port!  Gorgeous photos!

I could have posted the photo for International Gin Day.  My SIL in St Louis USA was sitting on her door step.  My sister in Melbourne, Australia, was just in her living room.  I’m on that boat out of Broome with another boat behind me that a helicopter has just landed on.  Living the tropical life!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

So pearl farm tours can be interesting.

Are you really flying home on disembarkation day?  

Quick hijack M.😃

We fly to Melbourne disembarkation day to visit friends and then home.  Love pearl farms, have been to many, I'm in the trade. I highly recommend for the experience. But will have to pass in Broome due to tight schedule.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I could have posted the photo for International Gin Day.  My SIL in St Louis USA was sitting on her door step.  My sister in Melbourne, Australia, was just in her living room.  I’m on that boat out of Broome with another boat behind me that a helicopter has just landed on.  Living the tropical life!

What a wonderful way to celebrate International Gin Day!  Gin is my favourite warm weather source of joy!!!  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Quick hijack M.😃

We fly to Melbourne disembarkation day to visit friends and then home.  Love pearl farms, have been to many, I'm in the trade. I highly recommend for the experience. But will have to pass in Broome due to tight schedule.

There are no real hijacks here High!  Not to worry! 😁  However,  if things should get ornery, Mysty's silver hammer will fall.   😁

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mysty said:

There are no real hijacks here High!  Not to worry! 😁  However,  if things should get ornery, Mysty's silver hammer will fall.   😁

Did someone call for orneriness?  That’s my unofficial middle name!  

During your recent absence, I did write an Easter poem titled, “There’s a Devil in the Garden”.  Unfortunately, my Angel whisperer and G&T Master convinced me it was too rich for the Cooler. 😁

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Gin is my favourite warm weather source of joy!!!  

It's fine in the winter too. Especially in the hot tub.

58 minutes ago, mysty said:

Mysty's silver hammer will fall. 

Borrowed from Maxwell?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Did someone call for orneriness?  That’s my unofficial middle name!  

During your recent absence, I did write an Easter poem titled, “There’s a Devil in the Garden”.  Unfortunately, my Angel whisperer and G&T Master convinced me it was too rich for the Cooler. 😁

Stumble,  your orneriness is usually justified.  😁  My angel whisperers have saved my bacon a few times.   🥰  But it is fun to try to skate on the edges.  😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It's fine in the winter too. Especially in the hot tub.

Borrowed from Maxwell?

Oh yes!  We have no hot tub but I would never turn up my nose to a delightful G&T!

And Maxwell has agreed to allow my use of the silver hammer.   The lad does recognize the perils of social media.   😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Gin is my favourite warm weather source of joy!!!  

Our liquor stores were closed for the first part of Covid, and we could only get alcohol at the grocery store.  When they finally allowed them to open we went wild and had a gin tasting with another couple in our Covid bubble. Fyi, the covid bubble had very strict rules. 

Someday M. 😃

Screenshot_20230402_113905_Messages.thumb.jpg.e7d34fb601afe9613466c63b0c7663b9.jpg

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Our liquor stores were closed for the first part of Covid, and we could only get alcohol at the grocery store.  When they finally allowed them to open we went wild and had a gin tasting with another couple in our Covid bubble. Fyi, the covid bubble had very strict rules. 

Someday M. 😃

Screenshot_20230402_113905_Messages.thumb.jpg.e7d34fb601afe9613466c63b0c7663b9.jpg

Beautiful collection High!  Did you find a favourite?

Thankfully our LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) did not close during our multiple lockdowns.   There would have been blood in the streets.   Very few of our grocery stores carry wine or beer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mysty said:

Thankfully our LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) did not close during our multiple lockdowns.   There would have been blood in the streets.   Very few of our grocery stores carry wine or beer. 

The LCBO was considered, like groceries and pharmacies, an essential service.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@mysty Thank you for showing me your folder system. I use one Note which is an electronic notebook. I can access it from all my devices. I also use spreadsheets which I them put in the notebook though I create them in excel. 

@highplanesdrifters I love the idea that you have a friend that edits photos and makes travel books when you return. I always say I am going to do that however, it is yet to happen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mysty said:
5 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Beautiful collection High!  Did you find a favourite?

Hands down everyone loved Uncle Vals Botanicals.  They have branched out to other styles, not a fan of those. Letherbee was also a fave. Roku is a regular, especially in a French 75. The Mediterraneans are always lovely. But the shocker was the small extremely expensive Japanese bottle, Komasa. Big thumbs down.

I like Gin and its subtle flavors. In general happy with some lemon and Q or Fever Tree.  Occasionally I'll go wild and use some Elderflower Tonic.

Now that a full hijack has ensued.......Always on the hunt, have any favorites?

Hope it wasn't TMI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Hands down everyone loved Uncle Vals Botanicals.  They have branched out to other styles, not a fan of those. Letherbee was also a fave. Roku is a regular, especially in a French 75. The Mediterraneans are always lovely. But the shocker was the small extremely expensive Japanese bottle, Komasa. Big thumbs down.

I like Gin and its subtle flavors. In general happy with some lemon and Q or Fever Tree.  Occasionally I'll go wild and use some Elderflower Tonic.

Hope it wasn't TMI.

Definitely not TMI High!  We like Empress gin from British Columbia.  Our access to interesting gins is controlled by our LCBO.  Many of the wonders you displayed are not available here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Hope it wasn't TMI.

I had a Roku gin in the JAL lounge in Tokyo this week and liked the flavour.  I am also a fan of Tanqueray Sevilla boosted with Fentiman's Valencia Orange tonic.  I have two favourites, though.  Wise "Pink Gin" (a solid strawberry flavour and made in the south west of Western Australia) and Four Pillars "Spiced Negroni Gin" from the Yarra Valley in Victoria, Australia.  (I'll edit from my iPad to add a photo.)

5F3E973D-2090-4BFF-89A4-0EFF0126A04D.thumb.jpeg.33fbc17c4cba8d2d52becbc0921ff96a.jpeg

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I had a Roku gin in the JAL lounge in Tokyo this week and liked the flavour.  I am also a fan of Tanqueray Sevilla boosted with Fentiman's Valencia Orange tonic.  I have two favourites, though.  Wise "Pink Gin" (a solid strawberry flavour and made in the south west of Western Australia) and Four Pillars "Spiced Negroni Gin" from the Yarra Valley in Victoria, Australia.  (I'll edit from my iPad to add a photo.)

5F3E973D-2090-4BFF-89A4-0EFF0126A04D.thumb.jpeg.33fbc17c4cba8d2d52becbc0921ff96a.jpeg

They sound amazing Port!  Are the Australian options available everywhere in Australia? 

• Like 1