A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

And, it will be unlike 99% of all other venues who also have a Michelin star.

That's part of the intrigue Stumble!  😁  I think it might be worth a look-see. 

• Like 2

I found something interesting for Niigata, Japan.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/niigata-rice-cracker-museum-bakauke-inari

Niigata Rice Cracker Museum & Bakauke Inari

"A RICE CRACKER notable for its banana-like shape, bakauke is a very popular snack in Japan, which comes in various flavors such as soy sauce with seaweed, sesame, curry, wasabi, edamame, shrimp, and even sea urchin.

The cracker was introduced in 1990 by Befco, then known as Kuriyama Beika Co. It quickly became the company’s biggest success, and despite being a product of Niigata Prefecture—its name means “super hit” or “well received” in the local dialect—it can be found all across the country today.

In 2002, the company opened its factory to the public, branding it as an interactive museum called the Rice Cracker Kingdom. Here, visitors could watch the process of making rice crackers and learn their history. Six years later, the company renovated and expanded the space, renaming it the Niigata Rice Cracker Museum.

At its entrance stands an unusual mini-shrine called Bakauke Inari. The doors are flanked by the company’s mascot characters, Barin and Borin, which are anthropomorphic Bakauke rice crackers with asymmetrical features. They can also be found on the roof, along with the snack’s official logo."

89e4ff95-79e9-4480-af9a-3b942cd6b315298345e219ced54177__-_panoramio.jpg.400ce116a1146daa2ee4e1999933562d.jpg

58c27d92-e1ec-4fd3-a564-6327c19bd470298345e219ced54177_Bakauke_(Kuriyama_Beika).jpg.0112f10901a0a7d659c356ed65e308df.jpg

We would be docked at the West Port Yamanoshita Wharf, 4 km from downtown. Shuttles are provided.

Capture.JPG.994066a989103723ab1ef92079f6e09d.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mysty said:

I found something interesting for Niigata, Japan.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/niigata-rice-cracker-museum-bakauke-inari

Niigata Rice Cracker Museum & Bakauke Inari

"A RICE CRACKER notable for its banana-like shape, bakauke is a very popular snack in Japan, which comes in various flavors such as soy sauce with seaweed, sesame, curry, wasabi, edamame, shrimp, and even sea urchin.

The cracker was introduced in 1990 by Befco, then known as Kuriyama Beika Co. It quickly became the company’s biggest success, and despite being a product of Niigata Prefecture—its name means “super hit” or “well received” in the local dialect—it can be found all across the country today.

In 2002, the company opened its factory to the public, branding it as an interactive museum called the Rice Cracker Kingdom. Here, visitors could watch the process of making rice crackers and learn their history. Six years later, the company renovated and expanded the space, renaming it the Niigata Rice Cracker Museum.

At its entrance stands an unusual mini-shrine called Bakauke Inari. The doors are flanked by the company’s mascot characters, Barin and Borin, which are anthropomorphic Bakauke rice crackers with asymmetrical features. They can also be found on the roof, along with the snack’s official logo."

89e4ff95-79e9-4480-af9a-3b942cd6b315298345e219ced54177__-_panoramio.jpg.400ce116a1146daa2ee4e1999933562d.jpg

58c27d92-e1ec-4fd3-a564-6327c19bd470298345e219ced54177_Bakauke_(Kuriyama_Beika).jpg.0112f10901a0a7d659c356ed65e308df.jpg

We would be docked at the West Port Yamanoshita Wharf, 4 km from downtown. Shuttles are provided.

Capture.JPG.994066a989103723ab1ef92079f6e09d.JPG

If you don't like the taste you can use them as insoles.

Very comfy apparently.

• Haha 2

I want to thank @highplanesdrifters for the mention of Blue Turtle Gin from Fiji.  High is currently on an adventure from Lautoka, Fiji to Broome, Australia.  High has been an active participant on this thread.  I intend to follow High's adventure.  It will be informative and entertaining! Here is the link to the thread here on the Silversea Forum. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2933095-exploring-on-the-explorer-lautoka-fiji-to-broome-australia/

And here is the link for Blue Turtle Gin which has been added to my list of things to check out on this cruise.

https://www.tdcfiji.com/blue-turtle-gin-fiji/

It has Kava in it which will be mentioned in my next post tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, mysty said:

I want to thank @highplanesdrifters for the mention of Blue Turtle Gin from Fiji.  High is currently on an adventure from Lautoka, Fiji to Broome, Australia.  High has been an active participant on this thread.  I intend to follow High's adventure.  It will be informative and entertaining! Here is the link to the thread here on the Silversea Forum. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2933095-exploring-on-the-explorer-lautoka-fiji-to-broome-australia/

And here is the link for Blue Turtle Gin which has been added to my list of things to check out on this cruise.

Kava is an interesting herb,it is used to help cure insomnia and anxiety.

Cava on the other hand is a cheap Spanish fizz that takes the enamel off your teeth.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Cava on the other hand is a cheap Spanish fizz that takes the enamel off your teeth.😁

Indeed Mr.!  😅  Kava has some very interesting uses!  Stay tuned!

4 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

And may also double up as a convenient way to dispose of a body if you’re ever in a tight corner. Even pigs leave the teeth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In Savusavu Fiji we have booked an excursion called NUKUBALAVU VILLAGE & KAVA CEREMONY.  I did some research on the Kava Ceremony.

https://royaldavuifiji.com/the-traditional-fijian-kava-ceremony/

https://theculturetrip.com/pacific/fiji/articles/how-to-take-part-in-a-traditional-fijian-kava-ceremony/

Kava cultures are the religious and cultural traditions of western Oceania which consume kava. There are similarities in the use of kava between the different cultures and islands, but each one also has its own traditions.

Kava comes from the roots of the shrubby, unassuming Piper methysticum plant, and is consumed by Polynesians across the Pacific, though it’s believed to originate in the archipelago of Vanuatu. Preparation varies from place to place. In Fiji, the plants are pulled from the ground and the roots left to dry in the sun for a few days before they are ground into a paste, mixed with water and strained to create a greyish-brown liquid.

tonga-ifad-photo-mission-december-2019-ifad-photo-mission-december-2019_49252034606_o.jpg.2abd6b59c2a31e168e7d1699cb74bc2b.jpg

Kava.jpg.70c26039aa16159d3a91ebbb9e53395b.jpg

In Fiji, kava (also called "grog" or "yaqona") is drunk at all times of day in both public and private settings. The consumption of the drink is a form of welcome and figures in important socio-political events. Both sexes drink kava.

Kava, is the traditional national drink of Fiji. It is a mildly narcotic and sedative drink made from the crushed root of the yaqona (pronounced yang-GO-na) strained with water. It is served in a large communal bowl as part of the traditional kava ceremony. When drunk, it creates a pleasant, numb feeling around the mouth, lips and tongue, as well as a sense of calm and relaxation.

Yet despite the naturally calming effects of the drink, the true experience lies in partaking in the complete kava ceremony. Kava is traditionally served as part of a ceremonial atmosphere, most commonly in welcoming guests into a village and on important occasions.

So if you are participating in a kava ceremony, here are some pointers on kava ceremony etiquette. Fijian people are notoriously friendly, welcoming and accepting, so they will undoubtedly assist you through the process.

Firstly, as a participant at a kava ceremony, your hosts expect you to dress respectfully and modestly. It is tradition to present the leader (your host) with a Kava root, which you can find at any Fijian market. This will show your true understanding of the Fijian culture and the significance of the kava ceremony.

The kava ceremony focuses around the communal Kava tanoa (bowl). Guests sit in a circle around the bowl which is placed in front of the leader. The ceremony commences with the actual production of the kava. The plant is pounded and the pulp placed into a cloth sack and mixed with water. The end result is a brownish coloured liquid – the Kava gold. It is then strained and ready for drinking.

Your host will offer kava as high tide (full cup) or low tide (half cup). When presented with the kava, clap once and yell ‘Bula!’ (Fijian for hello). Drink the kava in one gulp if possible, clap three more times and end with the word Maca – pronounced ‘Ma-tha’.

Finally, once you have finished your kava, you will feel a delightful sense of serenity and calm, with a slight numbness around your mouth, lips and tongue. A kava ceremony is always fun and full of laughter and smiles. Is is a true indicator of Fijian culture. This is why Fijians often serve kava to settle an argument or to make peace between villagers.

On 4/24/2023 at 4:19 PM, mysty said:

You are so kind!  And I can now vouch for the Kava ingredient with first hand experience. The only question is how many bottles to buy before we get on the ship? Different Coals to Newcastle?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

You are so kind!  And I can now vouch for the Kava ingredient with first hand experience. The only question is how many bottles to buy before we get on the ship? Different Coals to Newcastle?

Well, if your fellow passengers find out that you have a stash you will have many new friends! 😁 Enjoy High! 

• Haha 1

Myster is not a fashion hound like someone near and dear to him (at least I hope I am 😅).  And his favourite activity is definitely NOT shopping.  This is where I can help.  Before our first big adventure my research of average temps in the various ports indicated that a lighter weight sport jacket would be helpful for the informal nights.  I found a cotton version and managed to order one in Tall.  Myster found it very comfortable over a short sleeve shirt.  It will be in the luggage for this trip.

s7-1443677_lifestyle.jpg.89b3d1bc9aaf33c459839c7c1d2dca95.jpg

And I respectfully request no discussion of the pros and cons of the dress code here!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No discussion, Mysty; just to say that is a very smart looking jacket, particularly on someone tall and slim (or fairly slim).  I always fall for tall men; the  most attractive in my  life having both been about 6' 4".  Tall women like to feel protected, just as little ones do, and there are not so many men of a suitable height around - except perhaps in the Netherlands.

Having said that, of course my DH was just under 6'.  So height is not everything.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lincslady said:

No discussion, Mysty; just to say that is a very smart looking jacket, particularly on someone tall and slim (or fairly slim).  I always fall for tall men; the  most attractive in my  life having both been about 6' 4".  Tall women like to feel protected, just as little ones do, and there are not so many men of a suitable height around - except perhaps in the Netherlands.

Having said that, of course my DH was just under 6'.  So height is not everything.

Thanks Lola!  Myster is about 6'3".  And he's "fairly" slim.  I'm about 5'2".  Side by side we look a little like Mutt and Jeff. 😅

mutt_and_jeff_7270.jpg.7769cf1737dca0d3d268db255751a67a.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mysty said:

I respectfully request no discussion of the pros and cons of the dress code here!  

Sounds like a challenge! 😁

3 hours ago, mysty said:

Side by side we look a little like Mutt and Jeff. 😅

Funny, I would have never assumed this is what a baker and a closet champagne drunkard looked like.

IMG_3370.jpeg

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

Indeed,length and width also play a part.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, JoGay said:

I’m trying to sign up for the Uluru tour but can’t figure out where the sign up is.

You don't need to sign up JoGay!  The World Cruisers will either get an email before departure for the cruise or an invitation while on board to ask if you are interested.   Because it is an overnight I'm thinking the invitation will arrive by email before departure.   But don't quote me on that!  😁

• Like 1

We would be in Kuching, Malaysia on March 25, 2024.  For those interested in taxidermy and perhaps headhunting there is a museum there.  We would be docked at The Pending Wharf which is about 6 km east of the city.

Sarawak Museum, Kuching, Malaysia

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sarawak-museum

"CONTAINED IN BORNEO’S OLDEST MUSEUM is not only some rare historical taxidermy, but also an exhibit that remembers the historic (if barbaric) culture of headhunting. 

In 1891, the second White Rajah of Sarawak, Charles Brooke began construction works on what would be the oldest museum in Borneo. This plan came after some nudging from his friend and famous British naturalist, Alfred Russel Wallace, who had been exploring the Malay Archipelago, collecting specimens for study at the time.

The Victorian period architecture, designed after a Normandy town hall, survived through the Japanese Occupation in Malaya (1941 – 1945) during World War II. It had the good fortune to fall under the protection of a Japanese officer, which is why the museum suffered very little damage and looting. A lucky thing too because the natural history collection housed in this museum is regarded as one of the finest in Southeast Asia, which dates back to the dynastic English monarchy of the Brooke family (1841 – 1946).

On the ground floor of the Sarawak Museum, you’ll find taxidermized exhibits frozen in time in their wood and glass display case, ever watchful of the many visitors who had walked through the Natural History gallery for decades. They had seen the world changed, although the exhibits themselves remained the same, if not somewhat disintegrating a little as time goes by."

9d0f4dbc0ed2850682_SarawakMuseumP6.jpg.64904c6aa160ff5eac5e1a931c5d4298.jpg

Myster and I are booked on KUCHING, MOUNT SANUBONG, SARAWAK CULTURAL VILLAGE, TRIBES with the ship.

The tour description ..........

"Depart the pier for the scenic, approximately one-hour drive to the Sarawak Cultural Village. Nestled at the foot of Mount Sanubong and built on an approximately 17-acre (about 6.9-hectare) the Sarawak Cultural Village offers a wonderful opportunity to explore the different Malay tribes from Sarawak, along with their traditional housing, dress, crafts, and more. These ethnic groups include the Bidayuh, Ibans, Orang Ulu, Melanau, and Penans.

GUIDED WALKING TOUR, HOME VISITS, TRADITIONAL LIFESTYLES, CULTURAL PERFORMANCE

Upon arrival, proceed to the registration area, then take a guided walking tour of the Sarawak Cultural Village. Along the way, visit the houses of the local denizens and observe their skills in making traditional handicrafts, including pua-weaving and bamboo-carving. You can also view traditional methods of cooking, and how the Penans make blowpipes and other hunting instruments. Following your walking tour, head to the village's modern, air-conditioned theatre for a colourful cultural performance."

10 minutes ago, JSR said:

@mysty Hi I am enjoying following this thread and learning a lot. When you can would you circle back to which luggage you landed on and also about the insurance you were having requoted. 

Thanks, Jean

Regarding the luggage, our current plan is to ship ahead 2 large Briggs & Riley suitcases, 1 large suitcase (I can't remember the brand) and 1 medium size Briggs & Riley suitcase.  We will bring and check in 1 medium size Briggs & Riley and 1 small Briggs & Riley suitcase.  For carry on we will bring 1 small Briggs & Riley suitcase (previously mentioned), the Briggs & Riley cabin bag (previously mentioned), the tote (previously mentioned) and the backpack (previously mentioned).  Editing may happen once the packing for the ship ahead luggage begins.  Sometimes my eyes are bigger than my luggage choices. 😅

We have submitted our health questionnaires to the insurer by way of an encoded folder.  We asked that we get quotes for the two cruises together and also the two cruises priced separately.  We are waiting to hear from the insurer.