14. Experience Autumn Leaves at Kosetsuen Park
15. Learn History at Old Soma Residence
16. Wander the Hachiman-zaka Slope
17. Take a Hike at Mt. Esan
18. Bathe at a Natural Sea Onsen
19. Shop at the Hakodate Morning Market
20. Eat at Daimon Yokocho

We booked TRAPPISTINE CONVENT & GORYOKAKU PARK

Enjoy your half-day tour will visit two famous sights that contrast the Trappistine Convent (Western style garden) and the Goryokaku Park (Hakodate Old Magistrate's office). Goryokaku is a place famous for cherry blossoms during the season (Late April to Early May).
Hakodate is one of the few places home to a Trappistine Convent. Peaceful and quiet, the convent is steeped in history and Catholic culture. Take in the beautiful buildings and surroundings, while learning about the lives of the nuns residing here.
The park is home to the remaining walls of Japan's first Western -style fort. The fort is named Goryokaku or 'Pentagon Fort' due to its star shape. Nothing is left of the citadel, which was constructed by the Togukawa Shogunate to defend Japan and the Magistrate's office against the threats from the north. The Magistrate's Office building was completed in 1864.

At Goryokaku Tower, guests will ride the elevator up to the Observation Deck of the 351ft (107m) tower at the park entrance, and take in splendid views of the park, Fort, Mt. Hakodate and the downtown area.

https://www.nomadasaurus.com/things-to-do-in-otaru-japan/

List of the Best Things to Do in Otaru, Japan

1) Otaru Canal
2) Herring Mansion
3) Aoyama Villa
4) Nichigin-dori
5) Nikka Whiskey Distillery 
6) Otaru Beer Hall
7) Otaru Museum
😎 Otaru Music Box Museum
9) Bank of Japan Otaru Museum
10) Sakaimachi-dori
11) Visit the Nihon Yusen Building

We booked NIKKA WHISKY YOICHI DISTILLERY & OTARU CANAL

Dubbed as the Father of Japanese Whisky, Masataka Taketsuru chose Yoichi to set up his distillery. Built in 1934, the Nikka Whisky Yoichi Distillery boasts of a size that is about three times that of the Tokyo Dome. Today, 26 blocks of storage houses and factories produce whisky daily.

The Otaru Canal is the symbol of Otaru City. The historic 1.5-km long canal provides both a nostalgic look at the Otaru of yesteryear and unique shopping and dining experiences. The canal was created by a sea reclamation project beginning in 1914 and is lined with stone warehouses from that time. Once the capital of Hokkaido in Japan's Meiji Period, Otaru was known as the "Sakhalin of Japan" for its busy maritime trade with Russia. The shipping warehouses have been preserved and the canal is always photogenic no matter what the season. 

In October of 2015 (prior to the 2016 World Cruise) we got an email from Silversea asking us for our preferences on a few things.  They asked what we wanted to have on the name plaque for our suite door.  They asked what we wanted to have on individual calling cards (50 each). And they asked what size of jacket we each wear.   We got lovely jackets made by Eddie Bauer while we were on the cruise.

DSC00397(1).jpg.43b747ef3b2b8ef8f4b37443d348765f.jpg

In December 2018 (prior to the 2019 World Cruise) we got the same kind of email from Silversea asking us the same questions described above but no mention of a jacket.  We did not get jackets on that cruise.

Because the northern ports of Japan and the Alaskan ports may be a tad chilly on the 2024 World Cruise, the jacket may return in a different iteration.  Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, drron29 said:

You are picking good excursions for your Japanese ports. cherry blossoms should still be in blossom for your Hakodate excursion and the Otaru canal are is very interesting.

Thank you @drron29!  I was trying to squeeze in as much of the glory of Japan as I could!  I do the research,  make my suggestions to Myster and he either rubber stamps the suggestion or uses his veto power.   So  far,  no vetoes! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are commemorative gifts on World Cruises.  For the 2016 we received the jackets mentioned in an earlier post.  I have forgotten some of the other gifts.  However I do remember the backpack, the pen and pencil set and the Venetian masks for the final event which was a Venetian Masquerade Dinner on the Grand Canal.

DSC00612.thumb.JPG.3737507caf522af1bea3a6ee35b3506c.JPG

20230225_143930.jpg.e5afcc663662bb4114f97bd531a38809.jpg

20230225_144118.jpg.d00f6efc7edd75f9ce09bdacd3d0d696.jpg

20230225_144237.jpg.38e9febf160a7dda58475f9f96926f6f.jpg

• Like 2

I did a better job of documenting the commemorative gifts for the 2019 World Cruise.

Magnets, pen, postcards and World Map...

DSC05261.thumb.JPG.dea82fc4aadd6b02096ef415e8c52164.JPG

Scarf and tie...

DSC05548.JPG.7468c1018972143ccf75f44fda4aced4.JPG

Portfolio.....

DSC05746.thumb.JPG.490f9c8d053601839e5ad2edbcc1984d.JPG

Obligatory cap and commemorative Silversea lapel pin...

DSC06100.thumb.JPG.dace9accf3895855b5af479d6768bef7.JPG

DSC06101.thumb.JPG.fe8a87fa9d0f3a737e09d020c83835a8.JPG

African cloth...

DSC07232.thumb.JPG.4c73c4eb04c633e2d8319e09af2e7cf5.JPG

And duffel bag...

DSC07936.thumb.JPG.13f6ea455ae018ccc382563e847c1d94.JPG

Both of these cruises were in the before times.  With that in mind, it is hard to say what awaits for the 2024 World Cruise.  The gifts are a nice touch.  The real joy comes from the journey and the friendships.

• Like 4

Just now, Stumblefoot said:

What did folks on the 2023 WC get, besides the lack of decent internet?

Unfortunately,  there hasn't been much chit chat on the loot from 2023.   I know they got caps and backpacks.   My friend on the cruise has been very busy and communication is not frequent.   If I hear anything,  I'll report back. 😁

• Like 1

The theme for the 2016 World Cruise was Tale of Tales.  For each segment there was an noted author or photographer or adventurer.  Many will recognize some of the names.  Along with each new "artist" we received a copy of one of their books.  We ended up with 10 different books.  Each "artist" gave presentations in the show lounge and signed their books for the passengers interested. 

First off was Pico Iyer:

DSC05215.JPG.fb1b1422a47b77ddfd8959b8d27c8883.JPG

Saroo Brierly

DSC05260.JPG.39c409451a14b5196e0efe0b88952d1d.JPG

Harold Koda

DSC05507.JPG.ec98789ea3a13f56e928e598133a281b.JPG

Laksmi Pamuntjak

DSC05732.JPG.769e3399e8a1e3898e42c1c6736af2d2.JPG

Steve McCurry

DSC05973.JPG.9b6e4a0090b4e355df5de4c8f2b281a5.JPG

Jeremiah Towers

DSC06478.JPG.ce983cd356152ea0d22e05420e075afb.JPG

Paul Theroux

DSC06796.JPG.29af14800772980b33a777bf7cd99f81.JPG

Sophy Roberts

DSC07173.JPG.607a618555f0efa692fadb740e1fb89a.JPG

Zelda La Grange

DSC07452.JPG.7f5f8dab78d04931ade9dc98594d49c6.JPG

Tahir Shah

DSC07478.JPG.369ca0f634c779af2c516f6ed00ee09f.JPG

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I guess you know to allow for the extra luggage you will be bringing back from a world cruise by now, Mysty.

Lola

I mislabeled the post about the books!  My apologies.   They were from the 2019 cruise.   I should have had more coffee before posting!  🙄

The books from the 2019 cruise were definitely a challenge! 😁  The Steve McCurry book and the Harold Koda book were very large and weighty.   Many of those two books ended up in the Whisper library instead of in passengers' luggage.  We brought ours home.   Mr McCurry signed our book on the page showing his famous picture of the Afghanistan young woman.  Couldn't leave that behind. 

The book by La Grange about Mandela was delivered just before one of the events in Cape Town.   She spoke at the event,  not on the ship.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JoGay said:

We are also going on the SS world cruise 2024.  We are really looking forward to it.   What kinds of activities do they have on sea days?  Does anyone play mahjong?

Great to "hear" your voice JoGay!  Welcome!  Sea days can actually be quite busy.   There are lectures, bingo,  trivia, putting contests,  sometimes arts and crafts, bridge and the list goes on.  If you are interested in mahjong you might consider talking to the Cruise Director and the request for players could appear in the Chronicles.  Silversea often does World Cruise special meals,  like breakfast,  on sea days.  I'll see if I can find a sample of a Chronicles for a sea day to post. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoGay said:

We are also going on the SS world cruise 2024.  We are really looking forward to it.   What kinds of activities do they have on sea days?  Does anyone play mahjong?

Here is a link to a fellow World Cruiser's post which provides the Chronicles for a number of sea days on the 2022 World Cruise.  Hope this helps!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2874286-activities-on-multiple-days-at-sea-on-ocean-crossings/?do=findComment&comment=63786649

19 hours ago, mysty said:

Here is a link to a fellow World Cruiser's post which provides the Chronicles for a number of sea days on the 2022 World Cruise.  Hope this helps!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2874286-activities-on-multiple-days-at-sea-on-ocean-crossings/?do=findComment&comment=63786649

Before our first big adventure in 2016, I asked for words of wisdom on this kind of journey from the helpful folks in this forum.  I will provide their pearls in sets of 10 over the next few days.  Some advice/helpful hints maybe be duplicated.  These are taken from the original posts in 2015.

The most obvious issue is that you will get billed for your on-board spend at the end of each segment and not at the end of the WC.

Bills. Be sure that you can pay all of your bills automatically and any you can't that you can pay on line. That includes your credit cards.

Medicines/Toiletries. Start making lists of what you will need. It's never too early. Figure out how much you use of a product each month (eg., even toothpaste) so you can figure out how much to bring with you. We like to bring enough items so we don't have to waste time in port looking for it also knowing that the products we use might not be available. For over the counter medicines bring items to cover various issues from stomach bugs to colds.

Passport. Make sure you have a lot of blank visa pages. Silversea will advise but I would have a good 25 blank visa pages.

Ports. Start researching what you might want to do in each port. We don't try to plan something for every port because after awhile it would seem like work so there are ports that we just enjoy on our own or even some that we skip. We look at the entire itinerary and prioritize what we want to do.

If you plan to have a house sitter check on the house this is what we did.. We would have our neighbor go inside our house once a week and run the water and flush toilets and check on things if it got very cold such as drip the faucets. They also ran our cars each week. Some people who don't have their cars run would either disconnect their car battery or put it on one of those devices that keeps it charged.

If home security is a concern for you you might wish to consider installing some ip cameras. This means that you can view your home live from an app on a mobile phone, ipad or pc and if anyone moves past the camera the image is uploaded to something  for you to have a glance at once a day. They can also store videos for later study if need be. We have them over our UK homes and they are very reassuring.

I have gas water heaters and I lower them to vacation mode.

I leave the cabinets underneath each of our sinks that are along exterior walls of the home open.

We do turn off the water to the washing machine.

On a different note, we do unplug most electrical items including washing machine and dryer. While I have a household surge protector I just think it is wise and many appliances drain electricity anyway even when they are plugged in.

More to come tomorrow......

• Like 3