A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

13 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

In other words, she has absolutely no idea.

True Stumble!  When in doubt,  I quote the source with no additional comment!  Hopefully that prevents me from stepping in it!  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't quote me on this.....

https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/import/industry-advice/2022/80-2022

The department will be taking an education first approach to enforcing the new requirements between 15 June 2022 and 15 December 2023. During this period the department will be focussing on providing education and advice to ship managers with the aim of minimising unintentionally incorrect pre-arrival reporting. The department will also be working with ship managers to improve the effectiveness of biofouling management plan.

This may be a clue to the missing of Eden.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, mysty said:

Probably right.  

SS read that and was like, yeah, we’re not going there, because who knows whether our biofouling management plan is effective, considering our management rarely is. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, mysty said:

Don't quote me on this.....

https://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity-trade/import/industry-advice/2022/80-2022

The department will be taking an education first approach to enforcing the new requirements between 15 June 2022 and 15 December 2023. During this period the department will be focussing on providing education and advice to ship managers with the aim of minimising unintentionally incorrect pre-arrival reporting. The department will also be working with ship managers to improve the effectiveness of biofouling management plan.

Biofouling is particularly about keeping nasty pests out of local waters.  However, the ship will have been scraped for New Zealand and wouldn’t need doing again.  However there is obviously a reason behind missing this lovely little port community. Sad you are missing Eden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

Biofouling is particularly about keeping nasty pests out of local waters.  However, the ship will have been scraped for New Zealand and wouldn’t need doing again.  However there is obviously a reason behind missing this lovely little port community. Sad you are missing Eden.

Thank you Port!  I was rather grasping at straws.  It was phrased as a revised regulation and that was the only explanation that fit.  I appreciate your insider knowledge! 😁

Just now, mysty said:

Thank you Port!  I was rather grasping at straws.  It was phrased as a revised regulation and that was the only explanation that fit.  I appreciate your insider knowledge! 😁

We will probably never know the real reason for missing the port. Simple things like school holidays and enough people in town will never be shared. And that is a very good reason!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Port Power said:

We will probably never know the real reason for missing the port. Simple things like school holidays and enough people in town will never be shared. And that is a very good reason!

Thanks Port!  An influx of cruise folks at an inconvenient time is never welcome!  

The world cruise will be arriving in Australia when the biofouling will be strictly enforced. however if that was the reason for missing Eden you would be missing all Australian ports. A viking ship a few months ago arrived from NZ but wasn't allowed to dock in melbourne. They sailed on to adelaide and refused again so they finally realised that they should fix the problem or else cancel their cruise around Australia.

You were scheduled to visit Eden late in February which is the time they would welcome an influx of tourists as usually the slowest month for travel in Australia. This year there was a game fishing tournament on then but I don't see that as a problem. 

So probably just SS having a rethink.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drron29 said:

The world cruise will be arriving in Australia when the biofouling will be strictly enforced. however if that was the reason for missing Eden you would be missing all Australian ports. A viking ship a few months ago arrived from NZ but wasn't allowed to dock in melbourne. They sailed on to adelaide and refused again so they finally realised that they should fix the problem or else cancel their cruise around Australia.

You were scheduled to visit Eden late in February which is the time they would welcome an influx of tourists as usually the slowest month for travel in Australia. This year there was a game fishing tournament on then but I don't see that as a problem. 

So probably just SS having a rethink.

Thanks drron!  I vaguely remembered reading something about the Viking ship and biofouling.  We're sorry to miss Eden.  I would have loved to have said that I slipped the fires of hell and made it to Eden!  😁

Regarding the "special meal" tip.....I came across a post (on a different social media site) by a Silversea passenger who had requested a seafood extravaganza.  Here is the photo....

318978198_10225611100735810_4521559924806750202_n.thumb.jpg.a793a78d1a1e9cb957bbad772cbee6d0.jpg

I am going to take this photo with us.  My imagination has already dreamed up a scenario.....wafting tropical breezes,  lounging on our veranda with well chilled white wine in hand,  enjoying delicious seafood.  Now this would be Eden!  😁 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just got back from 31 days on the Moon. (The carnival in Rio was one of SS's best excursions ever-us 70 year olds dancing to dawn).  As I mentioned before I have a place holder in for the World Cruise 24.  Right not I am torn whether to do it or or not.  The primary reason I am considering it is that it goes west.  I live in Ct.  Farthest  west I have gotten is California.  I have nearly completely covered North and South America and nearly all of Europe.  This itinerary's attraction is that it hits everything from Hawaii to New Zealand.  I really, I know all of us do, but I really hate flying.  This cruise would ease a lot of misery.  

On the other hand, and this should dissuade me, I had just started to get bored on the 2 legs of the Grand Voyage I took,  I was learning bridge-never in my life had I thought I would play bridge-I just ordered Bridge for Dummies.  My question is, and I know there is a lot of enthusiasm expressed above, but has anyone gone into a world cruise, initially having some doubt, and then had the doubt confirmed, and hated it. I was so ambivalent about the 31days.  In the end it was really hard to get off.  But committing to 4 times that has me, perhaps too, nervous.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

Just got back from 31 days on the Moon. (The carnival in Rio was one of SS's best excursions ever-us 70 year olds dancing to dawn).  As I mentioned before I have a place holder in for the World Cruise 24.  Right not I am torn whether to do it or or not.  The primary reason I am considering it is that it goes west.  I live in Ct.  Farthest  west I have gotten is California.  I have nearly completely covered North and South America and nearly all of Europe.  This itinerary's attraction is that it hits everything from Hawaii to New Zealand.  I really, I know all of us do, but I really hate flying.  This cruise would ease a lot of misery.  

On the other hand, and this should dissuade me, I had just started to get bored on the 2 legs of the Grand Voyage I took,  I was learning bridge-never in my life had I thought I would play bridge-I just ordered Bridge for Dummies.  My question is, and I know there is a lot of enthusiasm expressed above, but has anyone gone into a world cruise, initially having some doubt, and then had the doubt confirmed, and hated it. I was so ambivalent about the 31days.  In the end it was really hard to get off.  But committing to 4 times that has me, perhaps too, nervous.  

There are definitely folks who try a World Cruise and find that it is not for them.  It is an individual thing.  Cruisers have different goals with their cruising choices.  Even if folks chimed in here to tell their tale it would reflect their individual preferences.   I'm not sure how that would help you.   Maybe consider what factors contributed to your boredom.   Was it the ports, the food, the fellow passengers,  the lack of interesting activities, home sickness......?   Maybe it's the commitment to that length of time that is making you a tad antsy.   Obviously you have oodles of time to sit with your decision.   I hope you can comfortably resolve your indecision! 😁

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mysty said:

Regarding the "special meal" tip.....I came across a post (on a different social media site) by a Silversea passenger who had requested a seafood extravaganza.  Here is the photo....

318978198_10225611100735810_4521559924806750202_n.thumb.jpg.a793a78d1a1e9cb957bbad772cbee6d0.jpg

I am going to take this photo with us.  My imagination has already dreamed up a scenario.....wafting tropical breezes,  lounging on our veranda with well chilled white wine in hand,  enjoying delicious seafood.  Now this would be Eden!  😁 

I would  have never thought of asking for something like this onboard.   Brilliant! We've been on a seafood tower quest lately.  Thanks for the tip.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mysty said:

There were frequent servings of this on the Christmas cruise of Whisper.

• Like 2

Excursions are now available to book for New Plymouth.  So far there are no Included excursions listed.  There are 6 Select excursions on offer.  We booked:

PUKEITI GARDENS & OKURUKURU WINERY (NPL-C) - $129.00 USD

Explore the beautiful Pukeiti Gardens of New Plymouth and also discover the wines of New Zealand with a trip to Okurukuru Winery. The gardens are renowned for their rhododendron collection and beautiful views. The Okurukuru Winery is a small family operation producing Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, Pinotage, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling and Chardonnay.

There are no excursions listed yet for Apia or for Newcastle.

We started our cruising life with a Med cruise in 2005.  On this voyage it became clear that we needed a better camera.  Before our Baltic cruise in 2007 Myster bought me an Olympus E-500.  I loved that camera and I still do. 

s-l500.jpg.83ebed07eb5225b0a14a2d71fd506bc6.jpg

Here's a photo from an Alaska cruise.....

P1012073.JPG.03153c9f2badfde0e512d7e8fe4ae09e.JPG

As our cruising life continued I found the Olympus was becoming a tad heavy.  It was suggested that I try the Sony RX 100 III.  We bought that camera before our first big adventure.  It is a little beauty!

AA278441_v1.jpg.6ec5b3151112965350bab967d38739a5.jpg

SONY-CYBER-SHOT-DSC-RX100III-REVIEW.jpg.2d11d9c97c7f0ebc24f749e0886b7485.jpg

A couple of photos using the Sony....

DSC00306.jpg.c93f6219a0c4794df05e92d03aeb1666.jpg

DSC07102b(2).JPG.6474a2db81b18c1214422eadac76fb7f.JPG

On our recent Grand Northern Europe Voyage in 2022 I realized that I needed something with a better zoom function.  So for the upcoming cruises I bought a Canon PowerShot SX70 HS.  Love the zoom on this!

Canon.jpg.be2f274c3412f3c0746a70326bcc344f.jpg

Here is a picture of a lamp post outside our apartment.  See the small white dot directly over the lamp post?  That is the moon.

IMG_0009sm.jpg.3df1003b31fdfe0fd1613e2153eb97ec.jpg

Here is the moon using the zoom function.  

IMG_0010.JPG.aa91cecd7b7600fe7a8d3643362f7075.JPG

I'm going to bring both cameras.  They excel in different areas and having them both along for the adventure will give me a lot of flexibility for various shots.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mysty said:

We started our cruising life with a Med cruise in 2005.  On this voyage it became clear that we needed a better camera.  Before our Baltic cruise in 2007 Myster bought me an Olympus E-500.  I loved that camera and I still do. 

s-l500.jpg.83ebed07eb5225b0a14a2d71fd506bc6.jpg

Here's a photo from an Alaska cruise.....

P1012073.JPG.03153c9f2badfde0e512d7e8fe4ae09e.JPG

As our cruising life continued I found the Olympus was becoming a tad heavy.  It was suggested that I try the Sony RX 100 III.  We bought that camera before our first big adventure.  It is a little beauty!

AA278441_v1.jpg.6ec5b3151112965350bab967d38739a5.jpg

SONY-CYBER-SHOT-DSC-RX100III-REVIEW.jpg.2d11d9c97c7f0ebc24f749e0886b7485.jpg

A couple of photos using the Sony....

DSC00306.jpg.c93f6219a0c4794df05e92d03aeb1666.jpg

DSC07102b(2).JPG.6474a2db81b18c1214422eadac76fb7f.JPG

On our recent Grand Northern Europe Voyage in 2022 I realized that I needed something with a better zoom function.  So for the upcoming cruises I bought a Canon PowerShot SX70 HS.  Love the zoom on this!

Canon.jpg.be2f274c3412f3c0746a70326bcc344f.jpg

Here is a picture of a lamp post outside our apartment.  See the small white dot directly over the lamp post?  That is the moon.

IMG_0009sm.jpg.3df1003b31fdfe0fd1613e2153eb97ec.jpg

Here is the moon using the zoom function.  

IMG_0010.JPG.aa91cecd7b7600fe7a8d3643362f7075.JPG

I'm going to bring both cameras.  They excel in different areas and having them both along for the adventure will give me a lot of flexibility for various shots.

You're a Wizard Mysty 

• Like 1

@chrism23 It seems you're not getting the input you were maybe hoping for from the people who had taken a World Cruise and who had not enjoyed it.  Maybe you could start a thread of your own asking for that input.   The reasoning behind this suggestion is that if folks were not happy with their World Cruise experience they would probably not be interested in reading a thread about an upcoming World Cruise.  Your target population is probably not found in this thread.  I wish you the best in your search for information. 

• Like 1