A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

Continuing with the advice, tips and suggestions.....

We have satellite TV and I cancel that service while we are away (a temporary cancellation with a start and end date). 

We just asked the butler for hangers and they appeared. One trick we had was to have some sticky labels for the drawers in wardrobe labelled saves opening every one because what you want is always in the last one.

We always have a case under the bed for larger coats.

I know this seems daft but don't forget how useful vacuum bags are ie those ones you press the air out of rather than use a vacuum cleaner. 

We use them for our pillows and for some clothing to reduce the number of cases and stuff can be left stored in them until needed. We always take our own pillows even on a single night away. As an example they reduce down in bulk by I'd say around 80%. A bag of underwear and socks and tee shorts is reduced by I think about 50% and as there is a vacuum they don't seem crumpled when you unseal the bag. We use them for shirts as well.

If you are on any medications be sure that you make arrangements to have a sufficient number of them on board.

Bring a list of vendors that you use should there be some issue at your house that needs to be corrected before you arrive home.

For companies such as insurance companies be sure you have more than just their toll free number which likely will not work outside of the USA. Have their regular phone number.

Bring a soft or hard copy of your medical records particularly if you have anything out of the norm. 

I am sure you will do this anyway but bring multiple credit cards. Check your credit cards now and if you have any that are expiring while you are away or even the month after you return contact the companies to get new cards now. 

I will post another set of 10 tomorrow.

• Like 2

UPDATE:  The pop up window for the My Reserved Activities on My Silversea is now working.  I check periodically to make sure nothing has changed.  I print to a PDF after I add or change a booked ship excursion. And I bring a printed final copy with us when we depart for our cruises.

• Like 1

Here are the next set of 10 tips, suggestions and pieces of advice:

If you have a card that you use to pay many of your bills automatically don't use it for other purchases just to minimize the card being compromised.

Many merchants will not take certain credit cards, so you might want to have the potpourri of cards. 

The idea of a "first aid kit" is a good one, with the OTC remedies for certain ordinary maladies that may strike during a long absence. Tissues or disinfectant wipes in packages are a must.

Insect repellent may be bought on board, but there are types with natural substances which work as well and are far less toxic.

Because we bring so much more in the way of toiletries, first aid, medicines and the like we have them all in one piece of luggage and then when we arrive to the ship we set out those items that we need right away and keep the rest of the items in both a cabinet and also under our bed in the suitcase it is already packed in.

Assume you will get an upper respiratory virus multiple times. It just seems to happen on long voyages so I would bring more in the way of cold relief items such as cough drops than you think you will use. I believe in having too much versus too little of these items.

I haven't read the whole thread but by far the best tip I can give you ... particularly on a cruise ... is split all your stuff between your cases. Not a single case with all one person's stuff in. Sooner or later one case goes missing and you might find one of you with nothing for some time unless you split everything between all cases. Splitting minimizes damage.

I would suggest that you carry a reasonable amount of $US (and maybe some Euro's if there are sufficient countries visited to warrant taking them). On our travels around the world we have been to very few places that will not accept $US. Other than that MasterCard and Visa credit cards will suffice.

In many locations we can just charge with our credit card and use USA dollars. In some locations we do need local currency and we either get it in advance or get it via an ATM or at a money store.

I'll post more suggestions tomorrow.

If you will not need a lot of money sometimes it's just easy to get it in advance at your local bank. Yes, you pay a little more over say an in country ATM but even if it is a few hundred dollars and you pay 3% more at home it's not a big deal.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the useful tips @mysty! Many of us probably do or know to do some of them, but there's always something new to learn from another experienced traveler!

So…

On 3/1/2023 at 7:29 AM, mysty said:

I know this seems daft but don't forget how useful vacuum bags are ie those ones you press the air out of rather than use a vacuum cleaner. 

I know some people swear by these, but we've never used them. Our issue in packing for trips is always the weight limit, not capacity. Perhaps if you're traveling with less-than-full-size luggage, vacuum bags would help fit more into limited space, but we can always get our stuff to fit; we run out of wight before space! (Perhaps that's because we don't always travel in business class and have a higher weight limit.)

But even if you use the vacuum bags to get to your destination, what do you do to pack to get home? Do you carry a hand pump in your luggage? Borrow a suite attendant's vacuum cleaner?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Thanks for all the useful tips @mysty! Many of us probably do or know to do some of them, but there's always something new to learn from another experienced traveler!

So…

I know some people swear by these, but we've never used them. Our issue in packing for trips is always the weight limit, not capacity. Perhaps if you're traveling with less-than-full-size luggage, vacuum bags would help fit more into limited space, but we can always get our stuff to fit; we run out of wight before space! (Perhaps that's because we don't always travel in business class and have a higher weight limit.)

But even if you use the vacuum bags to get to your destination, what do you do to pack to get home? Do you carry a hand pump in your luggage? Borrow a suite attendant's vacuum cleaner?

Very welcome @cruiseej!  I know I found them helpful!  And I also wondered how the vacuum bags would work on the return trip.  Maybe some kind soul will enlighten us.  😁

5 minutes ago, mysty said:

Very welcome @cruiseej!  I know I found them helpful!  And I also wondered how the vacuum bags would work on the return trip.  Maybe some kind soul will enlighten us.  😁

14 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

As you said earlier, mysty, the type that don’t use a vacuum cleaner but you can press the air out.  Rather, roll the bag to expel air.

• Thanks 1

UPDATE:  We just received an email from our travel agent forwarding an email from Silversea which will be sent to World Cruise passengers tomorrow.

"We are writing today with an update regarding your itinerary.
In order to comply with revised ship clearance regulations in Australia, we have had to revise this itinerary and will not be able to call at Eden. In lieu of this, we will now visit New Plymouth."

The new itinerary looks like this:

Nelson.JPG.0caaef6a3e9985ba23008d25d36cd343.JPG

An extra sea day between New Zealand and Sydney.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Port Power said:

As you said earlier, mysty, the type that don’t use a vacuum cleaner but you can press the air out.  Rather, roll the bag to expel air.

Thanks Power!  I had forgotten about that.  Senior brain freeze. 🤔

• Haha 2

Here is the last of the list of tips, suggestions and pearls:

Sure no one mentioned this: Consider taking bridge lessons. This is a great time to do so, you will receive instruction from an expert player, every day at sea. If you have never played before, you will be able to play when you are done. 

I never mentioned the most important things you need to pack...duct tape and clothes pins!

Our GP always provides us with a neat letter describing the prescribed drugs, and if necessary, evidences the vaccination status.

This becomes a part of a comprehensive travel file which resides in several places (cloud ,laptop and several portable drives) , and can (almost) always be accessed. 

We also put colour photo copies of passports and contact details inside our cases in a sealed envelope. The data is also on a memory stick in the hand luggage including the lost credit card numbers and the number to dial from around the world.

Do make sure that your mobile will work and that the company does not block your calls because you have breached the data limit. We found out the hard way and most call center people have no knowledge of the world map or time zones.

Planning is everything and watch out if fed ex pickup is arranged for a day to close to xmas hols . Each case is numbered and we have a list of the items in each one. 

Some World Cruisers travel just for the ship and rarely leave. They have been there got the t shirt and don't want to face the port officers (they can sometimes very very exacting). This group nearly always have a set pattern to their day same table at night and very little interaction with people only on for 1 sector.

The group who make up the majority, are those who are great to be with out on the town most nights, willing to try something new, to meet the locals talk to them and enjoy the privilege of sailing the high seas in such comfort.

We have always been very active on the ship and even if we have been to a port many times get off and have a coffee and a wander safe in the knowledge that home is only a bus ride away. We try to eat once a week on our own and the rest of the time with the wonderful companions we meet. Don’t be afraid of rain checking people. You will find that your 'dance card' fills up quickly.

If you enjoy lap swimming like we do best times are before 7 a.m., and after 6 p.m.

Bring your special thank you notes from home.  Also consider bringing Birthday cards.

Early in your voyage, meet with the head sommelier and ask for his/her recommendations for the wine (red or white) you like. Further, ask if he/she can set up a mini wine tasting for you so you have your hip pocket comp wine choice available if the comp red/wine selections that meal are not to your liking. 

Remember that the restaurant will prepare special meals if you give them a day or two notice - Indian, Thai, lobster etc. Don't be afraid to ask the butler if you have a special fancy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cruiseej said:

So…

I pack all my clothes in vacuum bags, not so much to cram more in (although I travel with carry on luggage only) but more to keep the clothes organised, clean and dry.

For instance, as I am always at the embarkation port a day or two before, I pack what I need in the bag I put topmost, then the rest of the case remains undisturbed until I am in my cabin.

I never use a vacuum pump. Pack the bag, find a reasonably firm surface (bed is usually too soft, a chair is better) and sit or lie on the bag. Works better than rolling, that disturbs the contents too much. 

Practice a bit, you'll soon see how it works.

• Thanks 3

Regarding the second to last pearl above.....meeting with the head sommelier... we did this on our adventures and benefitted from the experience.  We met with Karolina in 2016 and she provided a tasting of options when we arranged to meet her at lunch in the Restaurant at the beginning of our cruise.  We took notes and always had something "up our sleeves" if the wine on offer did not suit.

On our Grand Northern Europe Voyage this past spring/summer we met with Bilyana.  We had a ridiculous amount of OBC and we spent it on wine.  She was excellent!  She understood our tastes and expertly guided us to amazing options.

I strongly suggest that you consider taking the time to meet with the awesome sommeliers on board.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I pack all my clothes in vacuum bags, not so much to cram more in (although I travel with carry on luggage only) but more to keep the clothes organised, clean and dry.

For instance, as I am always at the embarkation port a day or two before, I pack what I need in the bag I put topmost, then the rest of the case remains undisturbed until I am in my cabin.

I never use a vacuum pump. Pack the bag, find a reasonably firm surface (bed is usually too soft, a chair is better) and sit or lie on the bag. Works better than rolling, that disturbs the contents too much. 

Practice a bit, you'll soon see how it works.

Thanks for your pearls of wisdom Jolly!  I love the idea of organizing contents that way!  Shifting around in a suitcase does not do wonders for clothing.

31 minutes ago, mysty said:

Shifting around in a suitcase does not do wonders for clothing.

Just pack them in tighter! There's always room for a little more.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, mysty said:

Regarding the second to last pearl above.....meeting with the head sommelier... we did this on our adventures and benefitted from the experience.  We met with Karolina in 2016 and she provided a tasting of options when we arranged to meet her at lunch in the Restaurant at the beginning of our cruise.  We took notes and always had something "up our sleeves" if the wine on offer did not suit.

On our Grand Northern Europe Voyage this past spring/summer we met with Bilyana.  We had a ridiculous amount of OBC and we spent it on wine.  She was excellent!  She understood our tastes and expertly guided us to amazing options.

I strongly suggest that you consider taking the time to meet with the awesome sommeliers on board.

First I must correct the spelling for the name of the amazing Head Sommelier.  It is Biljana.

Secondly, I must give thanks and praise to two good friends who are my wine gurus.  I went into the meeting with Biljana with suggestions from my wine gurus.  She was impressed with their choices and together we came up with a wonderful grouping of wines.  

As I mentioned, we had a very large OBC.  Hence the ability to use "funny money" for some amazing wines.  Prices in USD.

If you are interested, here are the beauties we invested in.....

Capture.JPG.8d49a89fcd00bce95525a996e3cf1f50.JPG

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Although we shall sadly not benefit from Mysty's tips on this thread 😔, I think a round of applause is in order for taking time to produce this meticulous resource. 

https://media.tenor.com/_kBHclUREHcAAAAM/çrpik-kurdî.gif

Thank you for your kind words TTS!  Much appreciated!

• Thanks 1

The Peter Principle: 
“In a hierarchy, people tend to rise to the level of their incompetence.”

Laurence J. Peter (1919-1990), Canadian educator, psychologist, writer and Asso. Professor of Prescriptive Teaching

and Coordinator of Programs for Emotionally Disturbed Children at the University. of So. California.  His other quotes:

“The problem with temptation is that you may not get another chance."

“Aristotle’s axiom: The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal."

“Speak when you are angry, and you’ll make the best speech you’ll ever regret."

“There are two kinds of failures:  those who thought and never did, and those who did and never thought."

“Before publishers’ blurbs were invented, authors had to make their reputations by writing."

“Two things reduce prejudice: education and laughter."

“You don’t need to take a person’s advice to make him feel good, just ask him for it."

“A man doesn’t know what he knows until he knows what he doesn’t know."

“A censor is an expert in cutting remarks. A censor is a man who knows more than he thinks you ought to."

Psychiatry enables us to correct our faults by confessing our parents' shortcomings."

“Equal opportunity means everyone will have a fair chance at being incompetent."

“America is a land of taxation that was founded to avoid taxation."

Men now monopolize the upper levels... depriving women of their rightful share of opportunities for incompetence."

Education is a method whereby one acquires a higher grade of prejudices."

Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it."

Television has changed the American child from an irresistible force to an immovable object."

An intelligence test sometimes shows a man how smart he would have been not to have taken it."

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today."

Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them."

If two wrongs don't make a right, try three."

“The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog for it feeds the hand that bites it."  : )

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

I just noticed that the page numbers went down.🫢

Well, Chas, you've decided to join the thread titled  A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024.  There are fewer posts here. 😁

We're glad you dropped in.  Hope you will follow along. 😁

Edited by mysty

12 minutes ago, mysty said:

Well, Chas, you've decided to join the thread titled  A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024.  There are fewer posts here. 😁

We're glad you dropped in.  Hope you will follow along. 😁

OPPOS!

sorry you're going to miss Eden, That was a pleasant little town.

They even built a nice pier and welcome center. What went wrong?

Edited by zqtchas
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

OPPOS!

sorry you're going to miss Eden, That was a pleasant little town.

They even built a nice pier and welcome center. What went wrong?

The email from Silversea said...."in order to comply with revised ship clearance regulations for Australia"  we would not be allowed to visit Eden.  We are a tad disappointed.   We had booked an oyster adventure for that port.