Tocumen Airport - Customs Question

Firstin87

Hi,

We are on NCL's Jewel sailing from Fuente Amador to Colon Feb. 4-13, 2023.  Never flown international other than to Canada and am wondering what to expect when we disembark and get to the Tocumen Airport.  Dock at 7:00 a.m., NCL's transportation to the airport, flight departs at 5:50 p.m., so plenty of time, but wondering if the line for customs is typically long, etc.  Have found Priority Pass lounges at the airport, which will be a big help.  Any advice about the airport is much appreciated.

Thanks!

You typically don't have Customs exiting a country, unless doing US pre-clearance. But you won't be doing US pre-clearance in Panama.

Immigration procedures leaving a country is also usually not too complex, but the US requires an extra step for flights non-stop to the US. But you will have tons of time.

Well, I messed up that sentence, didn't I - lol.  I meant to ask about Customs when we arrive at Tocumen airport.  I do appreciate knowing that we cannot do pre-clearance from Panama, but what are the additional steps for non-stop flights into the US?  Both of our flights are direct from Calif. to Tocumen.

37 minutes ago, Firstin87 said:

Well, I messed up that sentence, didn't I - lol.  I meant to ask about Customs when we arrive at Tocumen airport.  I do appreciate knowing that we cannot do pre-clearance from Panama, but what are the additional steps for non-stop flights into the US?  Both of our flights are direct from Calif. to Tocumen.

When you arrive in Panama you will go through Immigration first, then Customs. Speed will depend on staffing and number of other flights arriving at the same time.

The extra check to exit Panama is usually a table set up near the gate, staffed by airline personnel who do an extra passport check. Can slow the boarding process if the airline understaffs the operation.