Florence and Pisa excursion

Tikka234

1 minute ago, marazul said:

Lucca is a medieval village on flat land.  The only climbing is if you decide to walk the city walls.

Which most people may not be aware of. There were several people on my trip who did not realise.  

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Lucca was available on Princess from La Spezia in July and I believe they use the same companies within Europe as P&O.  Ot was extremely popular and sold out on our cruise, understandably because its beautiful. You've probably gathered I'm a huge fan of everything Italian ...

Just a word to the OP. Not sure if you have any mobility or fitness measures to consider but Lucca being medieval is a walk uphill.  Florence also could entail a fair amount of walking.  Portovenere does involve some uphill walking with steps to the church. Pisa is mainly flat unless you decide to climb the bell tower!

The coastline around the area you are visiting is rocky with steep cliffs which is why it's so dramatic and world renowned for its natural beauty.

Do most people climb the tower?  I was just planning on getting pics outside.  Our tour company said if we want to go inside anything there we have to buy the tickets.  Are there any tickets we should purchase?

30 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Do most people climb the tower?  I was just planning on getting pics outside.  Our tour company said if we want to go inside anything there we have to buy the tickets.  Are there any tickets we should purchase?

If you want to climb the tower, you definitely need to pre-purchase tickets, and they are timed -- so you would need to coordinate closely with your tour company. (If you miss your time, you're out of luck.)

I climbed the tower when I was young, can't say it did much for me. But when I returned with my 20-something son as few years ago, he wanted to see the tower and climb it, and if you ask him, it was one of the most memorable things he did.  So YMMV. 

Here's a link to the official website for ticket purchases:  Opera della Primaziale Pisana: sito ufficiale (opapisa.it)

Note:  It does take about 45 minutes in total -- you have to line up with your group in advance and then walk together to the top. You have a few minutes there and then you walk down, more or less at your own speed.

• Like 1