Considering Non-refundable Port-to-Port Pricing

econprofessor

Hi,

I am looking at a B2B Alaskan cruise in August.  Silversea is offering an additional 10% off the Port-to-Port price if I pay a non-refundable fare.  After talking with Steve at TripInsuranceStore, I feel good about getting my $$ back if I need to cancel.  We would purchase trip insurance no matter what fare we book due to our ages.

So, my concern is that I would not be able to take advantage of any promotions or price reductions.  Does Silversea often offer price reductions or promotions?  Or, is this a good deal?  It comes to almost $2,000 in savings.  That said, the cruise isn't for another 8 months so a lot could happen to pricing / promotions in that time.

Vikki

56 minutes ago, econprofessor said:

Does Silversea often offer price reductions or promotions?

Yes, promotions are always ongoing, changing every few months, and almost always with a higher price.  

A price reduction is more rare because that would expose SS to their Fare Guarantee program for any pre-booked guests who uncovered the price reduction.

1 hour ago, econprofessor said:

Or, is this a good deal?  It comes to almost $2,000 in savings.

Hard to say if it’s a good deal.  Only you can determine whether it worth risking thousands of dollars in order to save $2,000.  To some it is, but to most SS passengers it is not.  

1 hour ago, econprofessor said:

That said, the cruise isn't for another 8 months so a lot could happen to pricing / promotions in that time.

In the of world SS, 8-months isn’t much time at all.  Most likely there will be maybe three promotions and all from a higher price point.

Spoke to the onboard future cruise consultant on the Moon 2 weeks ago.  They discourage the PTP fares because of the non refundable 15% deposit.  For the new prepaid PTP, the entire cost of the cruise is non refundable.  HOWEVER, if you get trip insurance, then you would get that money back as the non refundable portion, you just cant change your mind and say I decided to go somewhere else, then you do not g et anything back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bohaiboy said:

Spoke to the onboard future cruise consultant on the Moon 2 weeks ago.  They discourage the PTP fares because of the non refundable 15% deposit.  For the new prepaid PTP, the entire cost of the cruise is non refundable.  HOWEVER, if you get trip insurance, then you would get that money back as the non refundable portion, you just cant change your mind and say I decided to go somewhere else, then you do not g et anything back.

Or if the itinerary is changed in ways that make it less appealing [but the cruise line takes the position that it wasn't 'cancelled'] you are stuck.

52 minutes ago, bohaiboy said:

For the new prepaid PTP, the entire cost of the cruise is non refundable.  HOWEVER, if you get trip insurance, then you would get that money back as the non refundable portion, you just cant change your mind and say I decided to go somewhere else, then you do not g et anything back.

You make some very valid points.  I am not too concerned about changing my mind.  We are traveling with friends.  Even if they cancelled (they took the Door-to-Door option and are only on the first leg with us) we would still go.  We love Alaska.  We did this same cruise, B2B last year.