MSC Port Charges/Tax Adjustment

Sstn

I last summer I booked MSC Divina 5/15/23 Miami to Barcelona.  Port charges/tax was $340.  No change in itinerary but port charges/tax are now only $154.  MSC says no price adjustment on port charges/tax. Only option is to cancel and rebook (but higher base price now would negate the savings).  I thought for USA booked cruises there are laws concerning port charges/tax that would apply and provide me a refund/credit for the difference (I know some cruise lines do this but not MSC).  Does anyone know if MSC is following US law properly by refusing to adjust the port fees/taxes?

Unfortunately I've seen this happen fairly frequently,  taxes/fees listed very high when the sailing is first listed then lowered considerably later on.   I've managed to get MSC US to apply the current rate to several of my existing bookings as late as mid 2019.  

But in late 2019 it became difficult and I never got it done,  I ended up canceling due to the pandemic anyway.   Those last bookings were actually messed up badly by their attempts to fix the taxes.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2023 at 3:18 PM, Sstn said:

I last summer I booked MSC Divina 5/15/23 Miami to Barcelona.  Port charges/tax was $340.  No change in itinerary but port charges/tax are now only $154.  MSC says no price adjustment on port charges/tax. Only option is to cancel and rebook (but higher base price now would negate the savings).  I thought for USA booked cruises there are laws concerning port charges/tax that would apply and provide me a refund/credit for the difference (I know some cruise lines do this but not MSC).  Does anyone know if MSC is following US law properly by refusing to adjust the port fees/taxes?

I checked my booking and we now have a $400+ overpayment on each cabin because the taxes and fees went down for the MSC Divina 5/15/23 sailing.

MSC adjusted our final payment due AFTER the final payment date.

Need to see how to get that amount refund now...

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed the Seashore in March of 2022, and missed a port. We were a party of seven in two cabins. They gave each cabin a $25 on board credit for the inconvenience, but never refunded the port charges for the missed port. (The port charges on seven people were more than the $50 Obc we were given.) Customer service was so rude about it and land-based customer service would not refund the port taxes. Criminal!