back from the worse cruise ever!!!

tjsharktank

I just returned from my cruise aboard the Carnival Victory (2/26 –3/5). I can confidently say that I will NEVER sail with Carnival again!!! It’s hard to decide where to begin my horror story…

FOOD: The food was HORRIBLE. Everyone says you gain 10 lbs on a cruise but I lost 2 lbs and my SO lost 5 lbs. We were actually HUNGRY when we went to sleep the first four nights! We ate in the main dining room the first 2 nights. The main entrees usually included one beef product. SO and I ordered the prime rib (although it wasn’t called “prime rib” both nights because everything else on the menu sounded unappealing. The cuts of meat used on the ship were cheap, in my opinion. My parents were also on the cruise and my dad sent his prime rib back because it had so much fat on it. I cut the fat off of mine on both nights and there was hardly anything left. The salads were very small and the desserts were completely TASTELESS! I’ve had better cake out of a betty crocker box. We decided to try the “alternative” dining option on the 3rd day and we were shocked to see the EXACT same food on the “alternative” buffet that was being served in the dining room that night!!! It was no alternative at all!!! Carnival advertises multiple dining options but THAT IS A LIE! The other “restaurants” Carnival talks about are actually walk up windows that do not run all the time. If fact, there are some times when all there is to eat is PIZZA! I go on a cruise and I’m stuck eating pizza? It wasn’t even great pizza! The “BBQ” never made steak or chicken sandwhichs like it advertised, it only made hamburgers and hotdogs! The Chinese wok was rarely open. I had excellent ham ONE night but other than that, I starved!!!!! We asked others if they liked the food and it was 50/50. I don’t know, maybe I expected too much by thinking I wouldn’t have to eat pizza all week!

CRUISE DIRECTOR: My hatred for this man is very high. SO and I either attended the “travel talk” briefings or watched them on tv so that we knew what was going on. During Dana’s (the cruise director) travel talk about grand cayman, he instructed everyone with an excursion before 10am to meet in the Caribbean lounge. He “PROMISED” that we would be on the first tender boats off the ship so that we were on time. SO, myself and my father arrived at 7:20. The shipped docked at 7:30. Our excursion was at 8:30 but we were suppose to check in at 8:00. I did NOT book the excursion through Carnival. We waited and waited until 7:50 when (the most annoying) social host came in and said everyone could proceed to the gangway!!!! Of course, that meant we were behind everyone who had been lining up on the stairs for the last 40 minutes!!! I went up to the social host and showed him my receipt for the excursion and asked if I shouldn’t be put on one of the first boats off. He said just go down stairs. Well, guess what? We were on the 3rd boat off and we were 20 mins late for the tour and the entire tour was cut short by 20 mins for me and everyone else on it. And I was MORTIFIED when I arrived at Captain Marvins for the tour because I was so late and everyone knew I was holding it up. I complained to the pursers desk when I got back on the ship and found that the pursers desk doesn’t give a **** about anything. They took my complaint and said they would forward it to the cruise director. 2 days went by and I kept calling and asking what was going on. Finally, they said the cruise director had responded and said that I must not have been in the Caribbean lounge at the right time and that if I had booked the excursion through carnival, that I was have been assured a full tour because the carnival tour operators wait for all guests!!! I couldn’t believe it!!! First of all, I WAS in the lounge at the right time, in fact we were early and one of the first people there. Second, he completely ignored the fact that he promised during his travel talk to get us off the boat first and then we were shoved behind everyone else. Third, he basically said oh well because I didn’t book the excursion through carnival so he didn’t give a ****!

EXCURSIONS: My parents took the grand cayman island tour and it didn’t make all the stops listed. I went to the shore excursion desk to complain and was told that was just how the tour was!!! When I went back to my room the tv was on to the cruise directors travel talk about grand cayman and as luck would have it, he described that exact tour stop-by-stop. So I marched back to the shore excursion desk and complained again. Then they wanted to know the bus number my parents were on. I told them they didn’t know that and that I wouldn’t have looked at the bus number either. Then I was told without the bus number there was nothing they could do! Basically I threw a fit and finally got him to say he’d look into it further. Two days later I noticed a 10% discount for the tour on my sail and sign card but they never called me or sent me a letter. I also told them that the dolphin swim in Costa Maya only had 1 dolphin for their group when the other groups had 3 dolphins and the same amount of people and they said “that’s just how it is”. They didn’t care one bit if people were unhappy. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

LIDO DECK: 1/4 of the chairs on the decks were “saved” by beach towels which is against carnival’s policy. People were walking around and around looking for chairs. I finally had to carry one all the way around the boat! People would put towels on chairs and never come back. I thought that Carnival should have made an announcement that they were going to collect the towel in 15 minutes. I suggested this to the purser and was told that carnivals policy was to post the “no saving” policy and that’s all! It was a sold out cruise and people were having to sit on the floor. Another incident were carnival didn’t give a ****.

CROWD: It’s a party ship, plain and simple. I asked on various boards beforehand if it was, but the bottomline is, people go on carnival to drink themselves silly. We had wine spilled on us, etc. I’ve never seen so many middle-age drunks in all of my life.

It was the worse experience of my life. I will never go on a carnival ship again. I’m sure I’m forgetting some things because I am so flustered right now. BUYER BEWARE – carnival does not care one bit about you once you buy your ticket.

I just returned from my cruise aboard the Carnival Victory (2/26 –3/5). I can confidently say that I will NEVER sail with Carnival again!!! It’s hard to decide where to begin my horror story…

FOOD: The food was HORRIBLE. Everyone says you gain 10 lbs on a cruise but I lost 2 lbs and my SO lost 5 lbs. We were actually HUNGRY when we went to sleep the first four nights! We ate in the main dining room the first 2 nights. The main entrees usually included one beef product. SO and I ordered the prime rib (although it wasn’t called “prime rib” both nights because everything else on the menu sounded unappealing. The cuts of meat used on the ship were cheap, in my opinion. My parents were also on the cruise and my dad sent his prime rib back because it had so much fat on it. I cut the fat off of mine on both nights and there was hardly anything left. The salads were very small and the desserts were completely TASTELESS! I’ve had better cake out of a betty crocker box. We decided to try the “alternative” dining option on the 3rd day and we were shocked to see the EXACT same food on the “alternative” buffet that was being served in the dining room that night!!! It was no alternative at all!!! Carnival advertises multiple dining options but THAT IS A LIE! The other “restaurants” Carnival talks about are actually walk up windows that do not run all the time. If fact, there are some times when all there is to eat is PIZZA! I go on a cruise and I’m stuck eating pizza? It wasn’t even great pizza! The “BBQ” never made steak or chicken sandwhichs like it advertised, it only made hamburgers and hotdogs! The Chinese wok was rarely open. I had excellent ham ONE night but other than that, I starved!!!!! We asked others if they liked the food and it was 50/50. I don’t know, maybe I expected too much by thinking I wouldn’t have to eat pizza all week!

If you were starving when you went to bed, why didn't you order a couple of sandwiches from room service?

The Liberty had roast beef on a baguette (sp?) that was really good and hit the spot when it came to late night munchies!

It was the worse experience of my life. I will never go on a carnival ship again. I’m sure I’m forgetting some things because I am so flustered right now. BUYER BEWARE – carnival does not care one bit about you once you buy your ticket.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. First cruise?

I have heard from a few people that if you don't book your excursion through Carnival you are last to leave the boat and if anything goes wrong you are out of luck. This worries me a bit now reading your post as well because one of the stops we have we want to book a private excursion. Maybe I need to look into it more.

Sorry your cruise was so bad. Was it your first on Carnival or first cruise all together or are you a past cruiser?

WEll sounds like she had a bad trip. Why would she make all this up? Although I've NEVER had a drink spilled on me, nor do I remember DRUNKS. But I was too busy having fun to notice what everyone around me was doing

It's the STARVING part that perplexes me!

On the Liberty there were 4 buffets open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner in Emiles, plus the grille (which does serve steak and chicken sandwiches upon request), the deli (the grilled rueben and grilled tuna sandwiches were to die for), the fish and chips, and of course the pizza.

I personally don't cruise to eat, and if something was being served in the dining room that I didn't care for, I hit the buffets. Even if it's just a huge salad with some potato salad and pasta salad...it filled me up and I never starved!

The “BBQ” never made steak or chicken sandwhichs like it advertised, it only made hamburgers and hotdogs!

During Dana’s (the cruise director) travel talk about grand cayman, he instructed everyone with an excursion before 10am to meet in the Caribbean lounge. He “PROMISED” that we would be on the first tender boats off the ship so that we were on time. SO, myself and my father arrived at 7:20. The shipped docked at 7:30. Our excursion was at 8:30 but we were suppose to check in at 8:00. I did NOT book the excursion through Carnival.

I believe you have to SPECIAL REQUEST the chicken and steak sandwiches at the GRILL...

Carnival DOES give preferential treatment (on tenders) to people who booked directly through them... that is just the way it goes...

--------------------

Here is a link to a review of the same sailing you were on... they appeared to have a very good time!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=309928

It just goes to show you that in any given situation some people will have a great time, others - just the opposite!

Tom

I'm sorry you had such a terrible time. Were you trying to see the best of things? I mean, I'd be mad, too, but, after I spend that much money on a vacation, I'd try to make the best of it. Laugh at some things. Let some things roll off your back. Move people's crap off chairs if they don't come back for an extended period of time.

And about the bus tour, I think the purser had every right to ask you what the bus number was. I wouldn't look at the bus number, either, but, if you can't prove to him that your bus driver sucked, how would he know you aren't just some a-hole lying and trying to get something for nothing, ya know? No offense, but, he can't just give money back to everyone who complains and has no proof that anything was wrong.

Anyway, better luck next time. I'm sorry if this truly was the "worse experience of your life". I wish a bad vacation was the worst thing I've ever lived thru.

Seriously? Going to bed hungry?

Sorry the cruise didn't meet your expectations, but in all honestly, had you gone on any other cruiseline and these same things occurred you'd be ragging on that line too.

Too bad you didn't like the food. We've had cruises in which the food wasn't great, but there are always other options if you don't prefer the taste and too many options if the portions are too small, like ordering a second.

And no, they don't really care when you book an excursion not through them. Why would they? As you yourself said, buyer beware.

Lido deck chair saving ... welcome to the world of cruising. Multitudes of others here on CC have voiced the same concerns.

The only item on your list of complaints I have issue with is the last.

We all do not cruise Carnival to simply drink. There are numerous people, even here on CC that don't drink at all and still cruise with Carnival. Sorry you didn't enjoy yourself, but it really doesn't sound like all these issues were Carnival's fault. JMO

It's the STARVING part that perplexes me!

On the Liberty there were 4 buffets open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner in Emiles, plus the grille (which does serve steak and chicken sandwiches upon request), the deli (the grilled rueben and grilled tuna sandwiches were to die for), the fish and chips, and of course the pizza.

I personally don't cruise to eat, and if something was being served in the dining room that I didn't care for, I hit the buffets. Even if it's just a huge salad with some potato salad and pasta salad...it filled me up and I never starved!

I know. Picture someone from a Sally Struthers commercial walking around a cruise ship with flip-flops and a bikini.

Sorry your cruise was so bad also. I have cruised Carnival 4 times, and aobut to take our fifth in less than three weeks.

We have always had a great time, but I notice some of the same problems you have noted.

1. The pursers desk is unhelpful most of the time. I believe they are trained to act that way. There is essentially no customer service, especially if you are upset when speeking to them. When that happens, they put up a wall and no longer wish to hear anything you have to say. I have tried the nice approach, which is in my nature anyway, and have had better luck that way.

2. Carnival will try everything possible to get you to take their excursions. They purposefully make you late getting off the ship when you tender, unless you book with Carnival. My excursion was late in Belize last year because of going through exactly what you experienced while we were on the Elation.

3. The food varies greatly from ship to ship. Although the menus are the same, the quality of food is not. The Ecstacy's food was horrible as a rule, and most things on the Lido buffet were "unidentifiable". On the elation though, the food was great, with lot of options and good pizza. The pizza, burgers and hotdogs ont heecstacy were not good, but on the Elation food was very good.

4. In spite of all of these things, I still enjoy Carnival very much. We have a great time every time we cruise. I know the "weeknesses" of Carnival, and can deal with them.

You may not want to sail with Carnivl again, but I think you might enjoy another ship.

Shawn

I have heard from a few people that if you don't book your excursion through Carnival you are last to leave the boat and if anything goes wrong you are out of luck. This worries me a bit now reading your post as well because one of the stops we have we want to book a private excursion. Maybe I need to look into it more.

This is the very reason that if I book an "independent" excursion, I try to do one that is "mid-day". It takes a little planning, but well worth it.

Sometimes that is impossible. We have Randi' horses planned and it is only offered at one time 9AM. Thankfully, we have priority debarkation now with the Platinum card...but if others are late...we will certainly understand.

Also, there's got to be something positive about your cruise :confused:

You didn't mention shows, decor, your cabin....

Surely you were happy with something!!

I'd rather be starving on a cruise ship in the middle of the Caribbean than here at home ANYDAY! I'll live on toast if I had to just to be cruising!!

On My second cruise with Carnival, I also had a bad experience, mainly with all the drunks everywhere and lots of under age drinking, teens were throwing plates from the buffet off the pool deck in the middle of the night, fights were braking out all over the place and security was throwing people off the ships at every port BUT, the next year i tryed Carnival again and have been sailing with them sense, I have never had a problem with the food, its all good. I think what happened does happen occasionally but never say never say never, the most pleasant cruise i have every gone on with the nicest people was Destiny. Remember RCCL passengers recently were on a ship they called "Hell ship" a few drunk young men spoiled everyones vacation. Try HAL or Celebrity next time, i have not heard of any problems with them.

I guess I expected a negative reaction to my post but if one person like me sees it before they go, I'm glad. We truly were hungry at night. There were NOT the multiple food options on this ship. As I said, the same thing was being served in two places for dinner! Its a shame when you go on a cruise and have to eat pizza all week or order BLT's from room service.

BTW - The pros of my cruise were few but they were: the golf simulator and the golf pro himself, Earl. He was VERY good and I wish we would have done the golf excursion with him but we had already booked something else for Ocho Rios. Also our cabin steward was great. Other than that, we hated it.

And as for the grand cayman fiasco, EVERYONE was sent downstairs, even those who booked carnival excursions.

Archived