“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

Also, just noticed this for the first time, as you enter the MDR.  Must google it….unless someone wants to chime in and save me several onerous keystrokes.  😬

(I like the sound of “chain of rotisseries”, but guessing that might not be the actual translation). 😜

871FBCA1-E484-4C8E-8FCB-D2F5DBB3199F.thumb.jpeg.0ced1401abfbae68a37bf84b947fc01f.jpeg

• Like 2

…and so now, from here on out, it's “all-Africa, all-the-time”.  Wooohooo! Probably 60-70% of the “draw” that led me to go for this one.  We’ll do some time off the ship over the next 2 weeks, with some game drives.  Over Christmas of 2017 we did a 2-week Abercrombie and Kent safari tour of Kenya and Tanzania, and I can only hope some of that absolute magic might be repeated.  (this was prob’ly my best shot, of quite a few good ones, I must say!)

B05C054F-2AE0-494A-A1A9-FBDADA3E8CEF.thumb.jpeg.a4eb8fc4a990e99f8157b40661542a3b.jpeg

• Like 4

I think the rotisseurs might be the people who man the rotisserie?

Looking forward to a few safari shots - that lion pic. is marvellous.

Queen were the most amazing group; can't believe you don't have to just get up and clap to some of their stuff.  Anyway, we are enjoying your posts, sharkbait.

Much to my surprise, I actually love Queen.  You have to love a group that iincludes an astrophysicist.  

But on another note,when I looked at the general itinerary for the world cruise, I had to wonder at the stops in East Africa in the midst of the rainy season...fun fact, the serenghti has the same annual rainfall as Ireland.  It just happens in two months.  HOWEVER, the lions hunt rather actively in the rain because it kills their scent.  You might have incredible luck.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shark b8 said:

all-Africa, all-the-time”

Oh Goody. Hijack, if that's OK.......Just starting to work on a tidbit in Africa for March 2024. We get dropped in Walvis Bay, Namibia after 39 days at sea.  Only have about 5 days due to a family commitment. Any suggestions for a quick and easy hit at some luxury lodge?

Edited by highplanesdrifters

“Give Freddie a chance…”.  

“Queen were the most amazing group…”. 

Yeah, I know, I know.  It’s all on me. When I was assembled back in the late Neolithic Age, they neglected to install the rock music chromosome.  Same with coffee.  And beets.

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 1

It’s funny, my best buddy is a Brit living in a wee small village outside of Edinburgh - he’s a *serious* rock guy and Queen is his Nirvana. (wait, I sense there’s something wrong with that….).  Anyway, I bought a Freddie Mercury t-shirt here to send to him, he’ll fall apart with laughter.  Virtually our entire friendship is centered around him teasing me unmercifully about all things American, and me returning the favor about all things British.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

…Walvis Bay, Namibia after 39 days at sea….Any suggestions for a quick and easy hit at some luxury lodge?

A few years ago, I was working on another Abercrombie & Kent trip, that involved South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia.  (and then the pandemic hit).   They promoted this place, in Etosha National Park, where we’ll be in a few weeks. 

https://www.abercrombiekent.co.uk/destinations/africa/namibia/etosha-national-park/onguma-tented-camp

Edited by shark b8

I stayed at Okinawa via A&K. You are in for a wildlife extravaganza. We couldn’t check into our so called tent for 2 hours because an elephant was blocking the path : “ yes ma’am”.

Enjoying your blog

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PSahoy said:

We couldn’t check into our so called tent for 2 hours because an elephant was blocking the path

Yeah, we’ll be flying in and out of Kichwa Tembo airstrip, and when we were there in 2017, the flight was delayed because there were giraffes on the runway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So, long day, almost over.  In short - flew from Tanzania to Nairobi and on to Kichwa Tembo airstrip.  In long….time is a little crunched right now, and I’’ll need to assemble/compress/edit some visuals, so give me time to do so, may not be until we’re back on the ship.

• Like 3