Goldstar or Adventure class on Alaska Railroad?

Sigyn

Alaska RR equipment -

Denali Train from Fairbanks to Anchorage -

GOLD STAR (First Class)

The B-I-G drawing point is the VIEW - the dome cars are full length all glass impressive !

Unlimited run of the full AK RR train - not private Princess HAL Wilderness Express

Assigned designated seating

Dome car seating - meals and beverages provide (2 alcohol drinks comp)

Meals are served on the lower level of the dome car

Open observation area end of upper level

Restrooms on lower level 

Mobility assist elevator.

ADVENTURE (Coach) CLASS

Restricted to only coach class cars - no Gold Star Princess Hal Wilderness Express

Open seating variety of car types a few old half dome cars

All single level cars except for the half dome

No open observation area

Snacks and Beverages on your own dime in Cafe Car.

Check the Alaska RR site for more details and fares

Alaska Railroad | Alaskan Tours & Vacations | Train Packages

The Gold Star dome cars almost always sell out well in advance !

In a nutshell that is what it is all about !

Have rode the Gold Star Denali train from Fairbanks to Anchorage return

Gold Star Coastal Classic to Seward

and the Coach only Glacier Discovery to Whittier

Edited by don't-use-real-name
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My preference is having an ordinary coach seat, and having the options to walk to the Vista-Dome car for the all-directional views, and ride in the vestibule with the upper half of the dutch door opened for picture-taking. This is coach, or "Adventure," class service. In the higher-priced "GoldStar" service,  you're stuck all day in a coach with glass ceiling, having the sun always shining down on you with no respite. Additionally, "GoldStar" service passengers generally do not have the same all-around view that coach passengers have in the Vista-Dome car, as all the Ultra Dome cars used for "GoldStar" service are uniform in height, with forward and rearward views possibly blocked. And while meals are included in the "GoldStar" service price, it works out to be rather expensive meals. The meals served in the bistro car available to coach passengers, while costing extra and not inexpensive, end up being more economical than the meal-inclusive "GoldStar" service. Finally, only coach passengers have the option to take all their baggage on board with them, as their coaches all have generously-sized luggage racks . . . "GoldStar" service passengers are compelled to check their baggage because their cars have no facilities for carry-on baggage. I think that many passengers choose "GoldStar" service because it is sold as being a higher level of service (and at least to the extent of receiving more personalized service and some extras, it is), but given the choice I would choose coach, or "Adventure," class because it is both a better value and relies on cars (including Vista-Dome cars) more to my liking.

• Like 4

We have traveled between Seward and Anchorage on ARR a number of times—both in Adventure Class as well as Gold Star.  If money is a concern, you will be fine in Adventure Class.  All the cars on the train travel on the same track!  The windows are large for viewing, the seats are comfortable, you still get commentary during the journey, and you have access to the dome car.  The only thing we missed was the outside viewing platform in Gold Star.  You’ll  be responsible for your own food but you can bring your own.  The food in the cafe car is pretty limited.

The journey is spectacular regardless of which class you travel!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, disneyochem said:

The only thing we missed [by traveling Adventure Class] was the outside viewing platform in Gold Star.

I would agree that missing the outdoor viewing platform is the largest drawback to Adventure Class, but riding the dutch door in a vestibule is nearly equivalent.

• Like 1

There are a number of good videos, like the one posted above, that illustrate the scenery of the rail route. But this scenery is enjoyed by all, whether one travels along the route in a GoldStar service car or an ordinary coach car. The distinctions in car types are not really highlighted in the video above, though there are other videos readily found with Google searches that will show the actual cars used and services provided. Below are two such videos that do well in showing the cars, themselves, used for GoldStar service and Adventure Class service, respectively.

• Like 4

I have only done gold star, but I think you could be fine in Adventure class.  As someone said, they ride on the same track.  I haven’t experienced the observation area on the adventure class, but I very much enjoyed the observation area on the gold star where I was able to look directly back over the rest of the train and see the scenery in the back.  I loved the views I had from our seats of the mountains all around us.  It is expensive, but awesome.  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I’ve done both several times.  Go with the Gold Star if your budget allows.  
Nicer seats, nice meal included, they bring drinks to you, and you aren’t sharing the upper level view with folks going up and down stairs every 20 minutes. I just consider the extra cost as a normal Alaskan excursion.

• Like 1