Esta us contact requirements

baldpaul

Hi. We are holidaying in Canada and the US later this year. The US element is a cruise from Vancouver to Seward/Anchorage followed by an immediate flight to Seattle with an overnight stay and then flight home to UK. I understand we enter the US at Vancouver port but what is our address for ESTA? The ship, the Seattle Hotel or both? 

Vancouver is Canada - you need the eTA to enter Canada.
I assume your first entry to US is a port in Alaska - when cruising I’m using the address of the cruise line port agent for the first entry into US.

Edited by hallasm

7 hours ago, hallasm said:

Vancouver is Canada - you need the eTA to enter Canada.
I assume your first entry to US is a port in Alaska - when cruising I’m using the address of the cruise line port agent for the first entry into US.

IIRC if you are taking a cruise from Vancouver that makes no other port calls in Canada and ends in Alaska you actually clear US immigration in Vancouver just before boarding the ship  and are considered to be in the US from that point on. It's similar to preclearing US immigration at most major Canadian airports before boarding your flight to the US. Your flight is then treated as a US domestic flight, just as your ship will be considered to be on a US domestic itinerary. 

That's my understanding njhorseman. We have the eTAs for Canada, so it was just a question of what our address is in the USA for the ESTAs. I will follow hallasm's suggestion for that, unless someone knows different.

Thanks, both, for your comments.

I have been getting ESTAs for years now and I seem to recall that putting in an address is optional? I don't think I have ever put in an address, I just apply for one every two years because I need it for multiple entries.

I may be wrong but read the form carefully. Of course it may have changed recently, in which case sorry to mislead!

Edit - 

checked the ESTA site and under FAQs I found:

Can I apply for an ESTA without having confirmed travel plans?

Yes. Specific travel plans are not mandatory at the time of application, but you will need a U.S. point of contact.

Although specific travel plans are not required, the address where you will be staying in the United States is recommended to complete the application. If multiple locations are planned, you only need to enter the first address. If a complete address is not known, you can enter the name of the hotel or location you will visit.

If you are in transit, please select 'yes' to the 'Is your travel to the U.S. occurring in transit to another country?' question in the Travel Information section.

So an address is only "recommended". To the OP, if you want an  address, it is the Seattle hotel.

Also, the ESTA is good for two years, you can use it for any further trips without putting in any more information or addresses.

Edited by jollyjones