advice with one year old

We are traveling as an extended family in August and will have my great-niece with us. She will have just turned one. I understand that only potty trained toddlers are allowed in the pools, however, on sea days are we allowed to take her to the pool and dangle her feet? I will take an inflatable pool for one of the balconies but would like to be able to take her to the pool area. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Cherie

We are traveling as an extended family in August and will have my great-niece with us. She will have just turned one. I understand that only potty trained toddlers are allowed in the pools, however, on sea days are we allowed to take her to the pool and dangle her feet? I will take an inflatable pool for one of the balconies but would like to be able to take her to the pool area. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Cherie

You might want to check out the Family Cruising board for tons of tips for traveling with toddlers. Have fun!

Shellie

They don't want kids in the pool if they are in diapers period. It's not against kids it's pro the rest of the ship. If poo gets in the pools they are supposed to drain and clean. So no, she will not be allowed to dangle her feet. It's one of those fine line things. If they let her dangle her feet then someone else will push it further etc.

She will be happy just to be with you in the warm sun and run around the ship with you right behind her getting your exercise.

Thank you. I understand why they do not want any kind of diapers in the pool. I am just trying to see what others have done on sea days to make them comfortable in the heat and sun. I have checked the family crusing site but will do it again. Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Cherie

I've seen all kinds of suggestions. I've never had to put them to work cause the last two cruises we've been on allowed tots in certain pools (swimmie diapers in the toddler paddle pool ONLY)

You have the one suggestion, bring an inflatable pool and some toys. I've also seen an idea to bring a bucket to put some water in, with some toys. Then there is always the spray bottles of water.

Mostly, babies that young don't love the ship pool anyway cause once they get wet, then that breeze moves off the water, they start shivering. I know my 7 month old's lips turned blue and it was REALLY hot out. It's the breeze that cools them off fast.

Your baby will have fun either way. :D

Keeping cool. Well the pool area is so exposed you won't want her in the sun much (Sunscreen. I know you know that but I can never tell anyone that enough). Water guns are fun and cooling and as long as you make sure she isn't squirting others she will giggle herself silly.

She is going to be enchanted by the ship and the experience. I traveled extensivly with my, now 8 year old, before we became outnumbered. He liked pools OK but he was far more interested in looking at people etc. Oh and, because this happened to me, don't take your eyes off her for a single second. I know, I know, parents don't, but we do. Gene-Gene stepped into a pool when he was two and almost drowned. Gene (husband and I) got distracted by our then baby and we only looked away for a second. Then he was under the water. I was so scared that I didn't let the kid near water for ages. I still shake to think about it.

Thank you soooooo much for your responses. I know Savannah will have a great time with all of her aunts, uncles, and cousins. I think the squirt gun is great and hopefully on port days she will be worn out by beach activities. We had a pool in Dallas and I dove in more than once to pull a kid out who was not ready to swim. We will watch her carefully. Thank you.

Cherie

Thanks, Cherie

Any chance that you'll be on the Enchantment? That has a freshwater sprinkler/spray kids area. She would LOVE that.

Archived