San Pedro Area

SuzieQ521

Hello:

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza in a couple weeks for our Norwegian cruise and I've heard different things about safety in San Pedro. How Safe Is it? 

We basically would only be walking around for dinner the night before (any recommendations?) and possibly walking to the cruise port the day of (although we have a 4 year old and luggage in tow so not sure how ambitious that is!).

Thanks!

Edited by SuzieQ521

It is perfectly safe to walk around there to restaurants etc!

Not sure where you read anything about danger there?

Despite what some folks say about walking to the terminal,I'd just take the hotel shuttle

When you check in you tell them which time you want to be on the shuttle

They have a certain number for each shuttle run

You just go down a few minutes before the time(maybe 15) and that's that

Quite easy

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Hello:

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza in a couple weeks for our Norwegian cruise and I've heard different things about safety in San Pedro. How Safe Is it? 

We basically would only be walking around for dinner the night before (any recommendations?) and possibly walking to the cruise port the day of (although we have a 4 year old and luggage in tow so not sure how ambitious that is!).

Thanks!

I've stayed there a few times pre-cruise--even though I live in Southern California.  When it works out for us, we like to head down there a day before.  My wife and I walk around the downtown San Pedro area, day and night, and have never felt unsafe--especially around the area near the Crowne Plaza.

Our two favorite restaurants--both VERY CLOSE to the Crowne Plaza--are the San Pedro Brewing Company and the Green Onion...though I understand the Green Onion is scheduled to close soon due to a redevelopment deal...

Green Onion is a very comfortable, casual, reasonably priced Mexican Food establishment, right across a small side street from the CP...

http://www.greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com/menu.html

The San Pedro Brewing Company is an small local brew pub with a very eclectic menu (I LOVE the Tri-Tip Sandwich) just about a half a block from the CP...

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/menu

There are several other good restaurant choices within a few blocks of the CP... Niko's Pizzeria, further down the block from the Brew Co. comes to mind...

http://www.nikospizzeria.com/menu

Any of those are even appropriate with a four-year old...very casual...and, yes, the Brew Co. even has a Kid's Menu:

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/kids-menu

The walk to the cruise terminal is about three-four blocks, flat, only one major street to cross (with signals) and interesting--You walk along the waterfront past the USS Iowa.  I've done the walk myself a few times...rolling luggage helps...

BTW, we will miss you by a couple of days...I see you are on NCL Bliss January 22...We're leaving on the RCCL Navigator of the Seas January 20...Have fun!! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I've stayed there a few times pre-cruise--even though I live in Southern California.  When it works out for us, we like to head down there a day before.  My wife and I walk around the downtown San Pedro area, day and night, and have never felt unsafe--especially around the area near the Crowne Plaza.

Our two favorite restaurants--both VERY CLOSE to the Crowne Plaza--are the San Pedro Brewing Company and the Green Onion...though I understand the Green Onion is scheduled to close soon due to a redevelopment deal...

Green Onion is a very comfortable, casual, reasonably priced Mexican Food establishment, right across a small side street from the CP...

http://www.greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com/menu.html

The San Pedro Brewing Company is an small local brew pub with a very eclectic menu (I LOVE the Tri-Tip Sandwich) just about a half a block from the CP...

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/menu

There are several other good restaurant choices within a few blocks of the CP... Niko's Pizzeria, further down the block from the Brew Co. comes to mind...

http://www.nikospizzeria.com/menu

Any of those are even appropriate with a four-year old...very casual...and, yes, the Brew Co. even has a Kid's Menu:

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/kids-menu

The walk to the cruise terminal is about three-four blocks, flat, only one major street to cross (with signals) and interesting--You walk along the waterfront past the USS Iowa.  I've done the walk myself a few times...rolling luggage helps...

BTW, we will miss you by a couple of days...I see you are on NCL Bliss January 22...We're leaving on the RCCL Navigator of the Seas January 20...Have fun!! 

Thank you for the great recommendations! 

Have a great Cruise as well!

5 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Hmm?

Where are you cruising that you need a test?

I thought those requirements were mostly gone now

Here in California we've been testing at local cvs pharmacies

I'd use Google to find one

I think you commented on the wrong post 🙂 but I was going to ask that poster the same as we are leaving out of San Pedro soon and as far as I know, no testing requirements (at least for NCL).

Some cruises still have Covid testing requirements.  Princess has a 28-day itinerary from San Pedro in March that qualifies.  Covid testing is fairly abundant at the moment - your best bet would probably be chain stores like Walgreens and CVS.  Unfortunately, the locations near the pier are not offering testing at the moment.  Note that most testing is not rapid and requires 48 hour turnaround.  Probably best to get tested before you leave, as testing can be done 3 days out.

I was unaware that anyone was still requiring testing as none of our six upcoming cruises have notified us of any such requirement...

However, that said, I would look into whether any of the online monitored testing services are still operating. 

This past August, we were on a cruise out of Reykjavik, Iceland.  My wife had recently recovered after a very brief case of Covid, however, when we went to get our tests done in Reykjavik, she was told that her test showed a very faint line and that we should come back the following day and it would probably be negative...However, the next day, we needed to be on the ship.  We went back to the hotel and, later that day, we contacted an online testing operation.  She did a self test, monitored by zoom with a doctor at the site--who watched her take the test and watched as the test strip developed with just the one line...and immediately emailed a certificate for the negative test...which was accepted by the cruise line.

It was all VERY easy, not particularly expensive (less than most of the in-person clinics)...very quick...and easy.  I would suggest that, when away from home and in an area with which you are not familiar, this would be a much better option than trying to find a place to get a test.