Bilbao hotel

Hello all. When I search this forum looking for hotel recommendations in Bilbao I get heaps of posts for Barcelona hotels but nothing for Bilbao. I am on a cruise which finishes in Bilbao in May and am thinking of sharing our post-cruise time in Bilbao and San Sebastian. I have found plenty of recommendations for the latter but nothing for Bilbao. Has anyone stayed there in a hotel they recommend? Appreciate any feedback.

We rented a VRBO in Bilboa right near the funicular, but don't remember seeing too many hotels (although I am sure they are there). We LOVED Bilboa. It's walkable and the Old City is beautiful. The Guggenheim is also great to see.

Stephanie

• Like 1

I think you are running into a situation where not many tourists actually stay in Bilbao.  We like the town as a day trip, but would much prefer to stay in a place like San Sebastian or Biaritz (France).  As to the Gugenheim, we have oft posted our opinion that the best part of the that museum is looking at it from the outside (free) or just walking inside and getting a glance of the cavernous atrium (without paying the admission fee).  Unless they have some kind of interesting exhibition, we have found their art collection less than inspiring.    

As to the city itself, we just prefer other places as a base.  

Hank

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2023 at 9:45 AM, Hlitner said:

I think you are running into a situation where not many tourists actually stay in Bilbao.  We like the town as a day trip, but would much prefer to stay in a place like San Sebastian or Biaritz (France).  As to the Gugenheim, we have oft posted our opinion that the best part of the that museum is looking at it from the outside (free) or just walking inside and getting a glance of the cavernous atrium (without paying the admission fee).  Unless they have some kind of interesting exhibition, we have found their art collection less than inspiring.    

As to the city itself, we just prefer other places as a base.  

Hank

I did the Guggenheim museum as part of a Spain Day tour. I am not into Modern Art. Honestly - if I hadn't had a guide there, I would not have liked the museum at all. With a guide, I loved it. There was a time where the guide gave us free time to explore and obviously there were things he didn't cover. I did not get as much out of those items at all. Maybe I am one of those individuals who needs a guide for Modern Art. I personally am glad I didn't venture there on my own as I would not have enjoyed/appreciated the museum.

I went into Bilbao with little expectations and thought of going to San Sebastian instead. A friend said he spent 3 days in Bilbao, loved it, so I did the tour. I really ended up liking the city quite a bit. Next time, San Sebastián.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Hi.  Before we decided to sightsee in Bilbao for the day and take a flight to Lisbon in late afternoon, I researched hotels.  I can't recommend any, as I've never been to Bilbao.  Also, I have to warn you that I'm not normal, and I don't like cushy American hotels, and don't know how "nice" you want a hotel to be.  We're not picky, so I always choose a moderately priced one that is close to public transportation and places to walk.  And I like places that are different, and possible quirky and either modern or totally old with character.  So this place may not appeal, but I was looking at Hotel Arriaga in the old town (Casa Viego) near the Teatro Arriago and a tram stop.  And in general I think the Old Town is the place to be as long as you don't want a really cushy hotel.  

As for Bilbao, some interesting things I've found there include the Vizcaya Hanging Bridge: Since opening 1893, every day each 8m, day/night, gondola suspended beneath bridge’s upper walkway carries up to 6 vehicles & passengers bank to bank.  Bridge only experienced one lapse into disuse; during Spanish Civil War, when dynamite detonated on upper deck.  Took 4 years before damage repaired. In 2006, engineering recognized by UNESCO. Portugalete near Getxo is gondola station; look for gondola (Bizkaia Zubia on maps).

So save a little time for that if it interests you.  I found it amazing. 

Tourist info center is bilbaoturismo.net

bilb best gond ov water w bridge abov.jpg

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
add photo
  • Like 1