Complimentary All-Weather Weather Jacket for Alaska

MBP&O2/O

FYI... I have just contacted the Seabourn Shop and asked about ordering a jacket for 2023 and they say

We are in the process of updating our webstore for Seabourn as they are no longer providing a complimentary All-Weather jacket for their Alaskan Cruise. This is why there is no obvious links to place your order.

They have made the decision based on customer feedback that customers preferred taking and traveli  their own jacket.

"

Well, that's kind of a bummer.  HOWEVER, I do love the Alaska Jacket and I saw many of them on the Iceland/Greenland portion of our Quest cruise last August, but in Alaska, we found it to be too warm.  I had thought it would be a weatherproof shell so I bought lots of layering things and when it turned into a more insulated jacket we were just too warm (we were on the first year of the Alaska trips).  I used our own shells and layering last year and we were much more comfortable.  We also had to purchase a duffle to bring them home!

I just don't believe that.  On our SB Alaskan cruise, 95% of the passengers wore the SB jackets.  They worked very very well.  Yes, there are the outliers who prefer their own jacket.  I see this as a cost cutting measure.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I just don't believe that.  On our SB Alaskan cruise, 95% of the passengers wore the SB jackets.  They worked very very well.  Yes, there are the outliers who prefer their own jacket.  I see this as a cost cutting measure.  

Totally agree with you.  We did Alaska both pre and post Covid so we have 2 each.  In August, we saw plenty of passengers wearing them.  This has to be cost cutting.

We are doing Norway in July on Ovation and plan to bring our “Alaska jackets”!  The pack very well to - don’t take up much room.

3 minutes ago, LMB01 said:

Totally agree with you.  We did Alaska both pre and post Covid so we have 2 each.  In August, we saw plenty of passengers wearing them.  This has to be cost cutting.

We are doing Norway in July on Ovation and plan to bring our “Alaska jackets”!  The pack very well to - don’t take up much room.

They are good jackets--insulated and water and wind proof.  Two winters ago when we had a polar vortex in Texas,  Mr. SLSD brought out his SB jacket to check on things at our farm.  We seldom have need for a jacket that warm and it worked perfectly in that instance too.  So--we are hanging on to them as we are sure to take another SB Alaskan cruise.  Ours are a very bright turquoise.  I certainly wouldn't wear it around town, but at our farm, I might in the right weather conditions.  I had the feeling some SB cruisers didn't like the very bright color or just didn't want to be seen as part of the group.  

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Totally agree it is likely a cost-cutting measure.  I love our Seabourn jackets and was happy not to have to pack one out-bound.  It was a bit challenging to find space to pack them on our return, but I wanted to keep them and have worn them this winter here in Houston!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If anyone actually wants to buy the same jacket but obviously not embroidered with logos/not the same colour - I enquired of Seabourn last year whether it could be purchased as I have found it very useful but now require a bigger size (for layering of course 😝) and they told me it is a Helly Hansen Crew jacket in the hooded version.  I purchased a nice off white one to add to my collection.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SLSD said:

They are good jackets--insulated and water and wind proof.  Two winters ago when we had a polar vortex in Texas,  Mr. SLSD brought out his SB jacket to check on things at our farm.  We seldom have need for a jacket that warm and it worked perfectly in that instance too.  So--we are hanging on to them as we are sure to take another SB Alaskan cruise.  Ours are a very bright turquoise.  I certainly wouldn't wear it around town, but at our farm, I might in the right weather conditions.  I had the feeling some SB cruisers didn't like the very bright color or just didn't want to be seen as part of the group.  

I enjoy wearing mine “around town” as I’ve met a number of fellow SB cruisers, and others who ask how we like SB.  It’s a conversation starter for those who like to talk to and meet others.  

• Like 3

Once again cost savings that undermine the Brand ethos.Add this to to the now unheated pools,filled up excursion buses and the decline in dining standard across the ships and you have a pale shadow of the pre pandemic Seabourn.Such a shame.

• Like 1

Irritating at best. We now have to pack/transport similar items to these, and with airline baggage weight restrictions etc 🙄

Checking the SB website and the offer seems to have been discretely withdrawn. It would have been nice to have been told.

And no, I don't know why the first post formatted like it did.

9 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

I'm not a big fan of logo wear.  I also found the jacket a bit too heavy on the trip (as well as too heavy to wear around home), so it got very little use.  It was a nice thought, but not something I'd miss.  

I think it all depends on the weather when you are in Alaska.  Our SB Alaska cruise was early in the season with the first port being Kodiak--so we could definitely use the jacket.  But, I'm with you on logo ware--which is why I would never wear the jacket "around town".  

• Like 1

We did the Alaska trip from Vancouver back last June and were delighted with the jacket. Since November it has been my 'go to' jacket around town and out on the boat. Nobody has complained about the Logo where I live but I have had a couple of compliments on the jacket. 😉

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2023 at 8:13 PM, curmudgeon98 said:

I'm not a big fan of logo wear.  I also found the jacket a bit too heavy on the trip (as well as too heavy to wear around home), so it got very little use.  It was a nice thought, but not something I'd miss.  

Not a big fan of logo wear? So presumably you wear nothing with Tommy Bahama, Eddie Bauer, Patagonia or, god forbid, Coach written on it? How do you find all non-branded clothing?

1 hour ago, Dusko said:

Not a big fan of logo wear? So presumably you wear nothing with Tommy Bahama, Eddie Bauer, Patagonia or, god forbid, Coach written on it? How do you find all non-branded clothing?

Pretty much true.  Clothes than want me to advertise for them never get taken off the rack in the store.  I'm sure you could find a few monogram initials or such in my closet, but nothing you could read from five feet away.  It's just a quirk of mine, but I will take extra effort to avoid overtly branded apparel.

• Like 2