Beware of the soot!

david05

23 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

How bad was it? Did it deter people from using the decks? Would it ruin a holiday? Did you ask for compensation? Was it so bad that you think that we should consider cancelling our next cruise on the Sprit of Discovery?

My experience of the soot issue was really limited to the aft terraces, mainly C Deck (Deck 9). I didn't sit out on the main sun decks but I don't remember seeing a big issue here when I walked round.  I think the aft terraces are the main areas affected as they are behind the funnel.  As I posted earlier, I only really noticed the problem at the end of the cruise which coincided with strong winds.  My husband sat out on deck 9 aft terrace in a light jacket (I know, very silly, but I didn't see him go!) and came back with a few soot marks.  I still think the problem is much reduced from last August.  It definitely didn't deter people from sitting outside and certainly didn't ruin our holiday. We have already booked another cruise for next year and are very much looking forward to it.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, david05 said:

I didn't realise I had to sign up to social media to discover if something was truly bad 😀. The pictures at post #12 give a true indication of how bad it was at the beginning of the year and I'm pleased that it now seems to be much improved.

It's a good indication if the Saga groups mention problems but not a word has been written 

1 hour ago, Medeba said:

My experience of the soot issue was really limited to the aft terraces, mainly C Deck (Deck 9). I didn't sit out on the main sun decks but I don't remember seeing a big issue here when I walked round.  I think the aft terraces are the main areas affected as they are behind the funnel.  As I posted earlier, I only really noticed the problem at the end of the cruise which coincided with strong winds.  My husband sat out on deck 9 aft terrace in a light jacket (I know, very silly, but I didn't see him go!) and came back with a few soot marks.  I still think the problem is much reduced from last August.  It definitely didn't deter people from sitting outside and certainly didn't ruin our holiday. We have already booked another cruise for next year and are very much looking forward to it.

We’re currently on the Discovery and didn’t notice anything untoward when we had a stroll around the ship yesterday afternoon in Dover. 

Probably more taken with the wonderful Sunday lunch, booking some trips, enjoying cocktails, a great dinner, a tremendous show and superb late night entertainment in the Club.

The ship has about 900 passengers board… so 90% occupancy.

Will do a full-blown smut safari photo-shoot when time allows!

But fun comes first!

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2023 at 9:20 AM, Medeba said:

Maybe it depends on atmosperic conditions such as wind speed and direction and perhaps the level of humidity. Also the speed of the ship. So if the ship is sailing quickly into a strong wind it may well blow any soot well clear, but if the ship is sailing slowly with a stong following wind it may well blow it back. Just a thought which may explain peoples differing experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

Maybe it depends on atmosperic conditions such as wind speed and direction and perhaps the level of humidity. Also the speed of the ship. So if the ship is sailing quickly into a strong wind it may well blow any soot well clear, but if the ship is sailing slowly with a stong following wind it may well blow it back. Just a thought which may explain peoples differing experiences.

Spot on there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/22/2023 at 11:48 AM, twotravellersLondon said:

Will do a full-blown smut safari photo-shoot when time allows!

Beautiful sea day today… especially good after the rain on Monday… had a wander around the decks after a great breakfast and saw this…

IMG_0749.thumb.jpeg.c01fc45571e38929b61d1ffde36655c4.jpeg

Not the dreaded smut… just a swarm of Swedish flies! Will continue when time allows.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 2:57 PM, Jammy Bun said:

Soot very much in evidence on our February SoA cruise.  Never seen anything like it on any other cruise we’ve done.

2CD16FD5-D3AD-4CB1-AE5D-7E3359E07929.jpeg

CC1A2AFD-78E1-40EB-9868-BE0BCA25F3B0.jpeg

7B56F324-30F8-4845-8D59-43E34F56517C.jpeg

1FACDDFA-2C6E-4B03-8175-932E025E644F.jpeg

59CE9BBB-2736-449F-8807-F8ABB4FC5AE4.jpeg

And by contrast... the Discovery aft decks in mid May 2023...

We had planned to go on a a full-blown smut safari photo-shoot when time allowed but it was a very busy and very enjoyable cruise... so this is as far as we got... they say a picture speaks a thousand words...

DSC_4658.thumb.jpeg.b7407acd2a654a4a4306305b8831579e.jpeg

DSC_4656.thumb.jpg.f0a8bdb2f8f418417c7b658f798f022f.jpg

IMG_0531.thumb.jpeg.60c4fc2cf95802ece5fd961d695e1c64.jpeg

IMG_0528.thumb.jpeg.58abc3f9738e9034f539f8ed5690abc2.jpeg

IMG_0530.thumb.jpeg.48b101031f420ff605ade539fb492cd7.jpeg

DSC_4669.thumb.jpeg.2b1e47973082357e35034694791d2746.jpeg

DSC_4653.thumb.jpeg.48a6dde3e8c75b121380cd6a67e70e2c.jpeg

DSC_4648.thumb.jpg.2f09f81f4245c25d0ad7318925dd0140.jpg

IMG_0529.thumb.jpeg.ab4a528509e5af1b57ae1fa9252a2fc9.jpeg

DSC_4647.thumb.jpeg.d374369d7c63ee021d5d6ef20e034d36.jpeg

IMG_0536.thumb.jpeg.4493f52e63ffba7cb97381c3d005bf8c.jpeg

And just as we thought that we'd found a pesky smut...

DSC_4662.thumb.jpeg.7ef4411e00bfda74ecc08b7f4235cb6d.jpeg

It turned out to be... a fly!

DSC_4661.thumb.jpeg.4823e8f1da889707eef47390c061bbf5.jpeg

So... we gave up looking for problems, took the last couple of seats in the Veranda and enjoyed the Fish & Chips and Prawn Sarnie with some chilled drinks... and a delightful convivial conversation over lunch with the couple at the next table!

IMG_0777.thumb.jpeg.536660acddc38cf964f3c215c0ffefc9.jpeg

IMG_0885.thumb.jpeg.bbe1b9b719dc5c91a5fa35e03286cfea.jpeg

We ate out on the Veranda quite frequently with no sign of soot or smuts on our light clothing. The Veranda was a very popular venue... and the Captain, his senior officers and the more senior members of staff also  used it as well. 

Nobody ever mentioned any problem in conversation with us. There were no questions or complaints about soot/smut at Captain's questions at the end of the cruise.

No soot/smuts found on our clothing that we've sorted on our return.

So... it certainly didn't impinge on our enjoyment of a wonderful holiday.

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 3

Thanks for the Smut Hunt, TwoTravellers. Some of the upholstery looks new and it’s great to see that looking for smuts is a needle in the haystack job now on SOD. We are on SOA shortly so look out for Smut Safari part 2!

• Like 3

Just back home after 22 nights on SoA. I did notice that seat cushions on the Terrace (stern) were discolored by soot. Appeared to be stains from soot, but not necessarily fresh. However, toward the end of the trip, I noticed black marks on the sleeves of the hot pink sweatshirt I'd been wearing on sea days -- right where I would have been leaning on railings. Not a light color. Just washed the shirt with a dark load -- after first treating the spots -- and most of the spotting appears to have washed off. So, did not see any obvious fresh soot, but it is still something to be aware of.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On SoD there is some sooty black spots but nothing like previously and the seat cushions in the secret garden don't show any signs of sooty discoloration, unlike previously when they had towels to put on the sears. Just need to be careful but nothing really to worry about.

• Like 3

Just come off the Discovery, and there is still small amounts of soot at times, but nothing unexpected or out of the ordinary; most noticed after using the outside aft staircase handrail - when arriving at the top, some marks on your hands, but I mean "some marks", not black palms.

Some lounger cushions are quite badly stained with what looks like old soot, but there are always plenty of clean towels available outside to put down.

Never been on a ship yet that did not sometimes have smuts on deck, so I think the last week was a pretty clean one. (Noticeable that smoke from the funnel was pale blue, not black.)

• Like 1