Not doing excursion, anything to do?

linerode

There's more to do there than cozumel. We had a great time at the pool. I think we had to get 2 drinks or food to get free chairs for the whole day. Definitely something we would have done abyway. We also went to the avriary which was very cool. We are.going back in June with 2 kids (22mo and 15 years) and looking forward to the port.

They also have dolphin swim encounters you could do. Lots of shops and restaurants. Fish pedicures. I recommend looking at YouTube videos of the port to get a better idea.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:15 PM, linerode said:

There will be six of us in July in Costa Maya and none of the excursions interest us. If we just stay in the port/downtown is there enough town to eat/shop for several hours? 

Keep in mind “ downtown” requires a $4 pp taxi for 5 minute ride, or long hot walk. There is very little just outside the port gates.

In the past, we would normally recommend going to the “town”, which in reality is a series of beach bars with local vendors, for better prices and beach (assuming sargassum isn’t overwhelming which is a strong possibility in July). Proper brick and mortar stores are mainly at the port.  However, increased taxi fares and trend towards AI, or minimum cover charges at the bars make Mahahual less appealing to us than pre-Covid, unless you are happy to choose one bar and settle for the day.

There is plenty to do at the port for first time and repeat visitors. The disadvantage of higher drink prices and snacks are off-set by  convenience of the ship for food and we are much more likely to consider it now for a few hours off the ship.

On 1/15/2023 at 6:43 PM, mirage2u said:

There's more to do there than cozumel. We had a great time at the pool. I think we had to get 2 drinks or food to get free chairs for the whole day. Definitely something we would have done abyway. We also went to the avriary which was very cool. We are.going back in June with 2 kids (22mo and 15 years) and looking forward to the port.

They also have dolphin swim encounters you could do. Lots of shops and restaurants. Fish pedicures. I recommend looking at YouTube videos of the port to get a better idea.

In what dimension is there more to do in Costa Maya than Cozumel?

Maybe if you don't leave the pier area, since Costa Maya has a pool (but no beach) and restaurants and shopping versus just restaurants (better) and shopping (better) in Cozumel.

The island itself has 10X more variety of things to do than Mahahual and a much wider variety of beach days than Mahahuial. Plus a larger, more developed town (San Miguel)  to explore than Mahaual.

Now Costa Maya does have easier to access, decent Mayna ruins closer than Cozumel.

I will give it that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bguppies said:

Maybe if you don't leave the pier area, since Costa Maya has a pool (but no beach) and restaurants and shopping versus just restaurants (better) and shopping (better) in Cozumel.

I think that was the whole point since the OP asked about staying at the port (but threw in “downtown”). As I understood it they hadn’t been before and didn’t really realize what, or where, “downtown” Costa Maya was. 

Perhaps I misunderstood original question but that is how I answered the question too. Despite Cozumel having three piers, there IS more to do at Costa Maya pier ONCE you have walked the length of the long pier. There are activities/displays to watch, and do, within the port area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bguppies said:

That's exactly what I meant - at the port since that is what the OP asked about. Thanks for trolling instead of adding anything worthwhile to the conversation!