Seabourn Quest Reviews

lvdave

I see from Cruisemapper that Quest is docked in Lima, along with another ship;  Regent Mariner is anchored well off shore, and Sojourn is on her way, due to arrive on 21st.  Maybe she will go elsewhere.

I imagine no one will have gone ashore, but it would be interesting to know.

A great shame, but this sort of thing seems to be happening all over, including the debacle of cleaning hulls in Australia and New Zealand, spoiling the cruises around there.

It is very early on Friday, 20 Jan., still in Lima, and we are waiting to hear from the captain what is what. The news reports on TV last night were grim. But Jan distracted us with a great “sailaway” fiesta yesterday evening and the band, dancers, assistant CDs got everyone on their feet to the balanced, powerful voice of Amber. The Bridge had lent the large flags of several flags from this journey, and there were a lot of Peruvian colored table cloths, hats and ponchos. Wonderful time!

I doubt we can make a break for it so we will sit tight for now. We need to get on with our cruise!

More later…

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

I imagine no one will have gone ashore, but it would be interesting to know.

My husband and I and one other couple went ashore yesterday as we had a private food & art tour booked in the morning and we were not going near the Historical Centre where the protesters were due to be in the afternoon. The Historical Centre is of course where the Presidential Palace and Government buildings are.

While ashore we saw no problems or road blocks so felt very safe. It is so sad the events of the evening became violent and chaotic as the people we met were lovely and just wanted to get on with their lives.

We remain docked at Callao allegedly due to "high swells" outside the port but who knows? As markham said we just want to get on to Arica in Chile.

• Like 2

We were ashore the previous evening in the colonial centre of Lima having dinner at the beautiful Casa Aliaga ( the oldest still inhabited home in Lima). It was a Seabourn excursion and as we walked about 6 blocks from the bus there was no sign of upheaval or demonstrations in the old streets or close by any of the public buildings. There was a heavy police presence and we felt quite safe with, what appeared to be, many happy families enjoying the evening. Unlike the groups on excursions earlier in the afternoon where road blocks and demonstrators were the order of the day in the centre of Lima.

We are still here with the port of Callao in lockdown and do not appear to be going anywhere soon. No sign of ‘heavy swells’ and awaiting the Captain’s noon update soon.
Just attended an interesting lecture on what makes a failed state…. Peru?

• Like 1

The tours you've written about sound great and the food pictures looked delicious.  I am happy to read that the Quest has sailed and wasn't held up by local events there in Peru.  I'm looking forward to boarding in a week in Chile. Now I need to stop procrastinating and pack, one of my least favorite things.

On 1/15/2023 at 11:21 AM, lvdave said:

We have sailed on Seabourn once before but recently have preferred  Regent to other luxury lines.  We are looking at a 2024 cruise on Quest for 14 days from Montreal to Miami.  Our big concern is that all the recent reviews except for one are 3 stars or less on this site.  Has the Seabourn product deteriorated or is the issue something else.  Any info would be helpful.

Thanks.

We have sailed once with SB on quest and multiple times with Regent. We did not have a good experience with SB although it does appear that our particular cruise suffered far more issues than most SB cruises. We do prefer Regent overall in concept and have only had good experiences. We have several more Regent cruises booked and a long back to back to back on Oceania’s new ship (another fave of ours). We are also going to give SB another try later this year but that’s because we have a large amount of fcc’s.

Many cruisers are very loyal to their fave brand(s). And that’s all good but the real question is whether or not different experiences and different tastes bring something helpful to the table. I think they do. To me, it’s a trap to label those that disagree with you as someone who likes to complain or as a person with a bad attitude.

I see you are about to arrive in Antofagasta - somewhere I have actually been!  I wonder if it is possible to do an Atacama desert trip from there.  My DH did one when staying for a while, I was only there for a night or two but it sounded well worth a visit.

Looking forward to some more reports when you have some time.