Suite 700, 800, 900 on Explorer or Splendor

ddwells49

My Sister and I just booked 900 and 700 on the Grandeur sailing May 2024.  These were the only available suites in Penthouse category C and B.  I read these are very claustrophobic and the balcony is small and you cannot see unless standing.  My question is for anyone who  has stayed in these, how "unpleasant" will our cruise experience be?  Also, looking at the deck layout, these suites seem longer than the standard Penthouse Suite, true of just an allusion from the deck plans?  After reading "Beware of 700, 800, 900" review, we have put in a wait list request for a change.  This will be our 4th Regent Cruise, just finished the Splendor and have been on Voyager and Navigator.

c

• Like 1

We have just sailed in Suite 700 on Splendor.  We absolutely loved it.  Having a large balcony 'dead center' in the front of the ship was awesome for us.  Watching the approach into a port and/or departure from same was a very nice experience.  And the balcony had a table with two chairs...room to move the two chairs away from the table to just sit, a long sun lounger and then a big (about 5 ft long) woven basket where all of the chair pads, lounger pad were stored.  Plenty of room...but yes...the balcony railing is solid from floor to waist height so you do need to stand up at the railing to see the sights that are below waist height.

We did not find the cabin to be small in any way. Very comfortable...two separate rooms (bedroom and sitting room) with a large area as you enter the suite that has a small table with 2 chairs where we ate our room service orders as well as a long counter with cabinets underneath.  A large walk-in closet with lots of storage in numerous drawers and hanging areas that lined all of the walls.  And the bathroom was amazing.  Double sinks and a shower that was very big with an overhead rainfall shower head as well as water jets lining two walls of the shower that gave a wonderful overall body massage when you used it.

It is also located in a very private area...between two corner suites so there is no traffic past your door.  The only sounds we ever heard were when they dropped anchor for a tender port.  That is very loud but since our 22 day cruise only had 2 of those...no big deal.

We are booked on 2 more cruises and have booked Suite 700 or 800 for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you hamasgirl.  I thought having the front balcony view would be as you described, very nice.  Appreciate your opinion.  I find these boards usually have more complaints than positive reviews, nice to see a favorable opinion.

I have not been in this suite so NO personal experience, but I’m short and I like having a view when sitting so a no go for me.   If that is not important, the half wall will block some of the wind.  It would be a great suite going through Panama Canal.

We were in Suite 700 during a Baltic cruise. The Suite itself is fantastic, no doubt. The real “party crasher” is the balcony. While cruising, you can hardly sit outside and read a book due to the wind. And the only way, watching the sea go by is standing…….

• 1 year later...

This will be our first cruise with Regent.  We're booked on the Grandeau in Suite 800 and are wondering if we need to make a change.  I understand that the balcony has a solid "wall" rather than plexiglass as we're used to.  Is this only for these forward suites or do all suites have the solid wall.  Also, can you fee the movement in this suite?  We are cruising the med, so I'm not certain how rough the waters are in that area, however, I am very prone to motion illness.  Any photos or additional information regarding this suite is very much appreciated.  Thanks!

It has been mentioned once already, but how can you use a front facing balcony when the ship is underway? The wind would blow everything away. I can't understand why anybody would book these cabins!!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 12:19 PM, Cruiser0721 said:

This will be our first cruise with Regent.  We're booked on the Grandeau in Suite 800 and are wondering if we need to make a change.  I understand that the balcony has a solid "wall" rather than plexiglass as we're used to.  Is this only for these forward suites or do all suites have the solid wall.  Also, can you fee the movement in this suite?  We are cruising the med, so I'm not certain how rough the waters are in that area, however, I am very prone to motion illness.  Any photos or additional information regarding this suite is very much appreciated.  Thanks!

The balconies on all suites at the front or back of Grandeur have solid walls.  If you have one of the upper suites with wrap-around balconies the balconies facing to Port or Starboard are not solid and I think also not plexiglass but open with teak rails and steel rods to prevent going overboard.  

We’ve enjoyed front facing balconies, principally for the space and the wrap around feature.

They are highly usable in port! Plus, in places like the Med & Caribbean we have made use of front facing balcony when the ship is in motion. Not often, admittedly, but you get days when it’s fine and the wind isn’t too strong. I would book one again if the itinerary and climate were favourable.

• 1 month later...

I am actually on the regent  in suit 700 as I type in key west . Whilst the suit is of a good standard and good size and of regent quality there is a huge, huge downside reference noise levels.

doors underneath the suit to outside for next level opens and shuts continually because it is staff deck recreation and the deck men have to be out early ready for docking or anchoring including throughout the night so bangs continually so if sleep is what you want and staying in your cabin relaxing this is not for you.

Also directly opposite the suit door is the laundry room where the staff have to go in so again up until 12 noon from 6 am and evenings the doors  opening shutting are really annoying and then just to the right as you come of out of 700 another security door that staff and passers by  have to open and shut early up until late.

Addressing  the subject of the balcony it is high and does not have glass in fairness to such comments they have addressed this by putting in place two high chairs like bar stools , which are ok but not that relaxing and I think some people would find very difficult to get onto. Lying down is out of the question on the very nice loungers and. Chairs as you can’t se anything and if sunny in port very hot.

also very noisy when docking from thrusters and winches and anchor operation, this is an observation only for first time cruisers as people know this is the case at the bow and aft sections 

I also noted 800 and 900 suits have them same challenges.

I would also address a wider challenge as I see it having been on the regent explorer and comparing quality of food good , but three times in separate restaurants the food was cold service in restaurants for me has fallen short and service around the pool very slow seemingly not enough people. 

overall staff excellent butler and stewardess and in common areas.would I cruise with regent yes, would I have cabin 700, 800, 900 absolutely not .

hope this helps